The Houthi military escalation in Yemen’s governorates of Taiz, Hodeidah and Marib caused last month a new wave of internally displaced persons (IDPs) amid fears that calm reached among warrying parties will collapse and that peace efforts will stumble due to the group’s resolve and desire to prolong the conflict.
The Executive Unit for IDP Camps Management said in its monthly report that 370 households of 1,846 individuals were displaced from December 1 to 31.
During the same period, the Executive Unit said 253 households, including 1,283 individuals, were newly displaced while 117 households, including 563 individuals, were displaced for the second.
It added that 56 percent of the IDPs were displaced from the Hodeidah governorate, 10 percent from Taiz and between 1 to 8 percent were displaced from the governorates of Shabwah, Al Bayda, Ibb, Dhamar, Marib, Ibb, Dhamar, Raymah, Hajjah, Shabwah, Sanaa and the capital Sanaa, Al Mahwit and Amran.
During the same period, the Executive Unit for IDPs said that eight households of 34 individuals left their current areas of displacement.
It also tracked 67 households of 296 individuals, who returned to their places of origin in December.
The ongoing Houthi abuses against civilians in various Yemeni areas have forced millions of residents to leave their homes to other parts of the country amid a breakdown of basic services.
In its weekly Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), the UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM), confirmed the presence of new cases of IDPs recorded in Marib, Hodeidah and Taiz.
It said that between 24 and 30 December 2023, Yemen recorded 12 households (72 individuals) displaced at least once.
The DTM report also showed that the number of IDPs recorded in the last week of 2023 was down 64 percent compared the previous week from December 17 to 23, when 33 households of 198 individuals were displaced.
It also showed that the majority of people moved into or within the governorate of Marib and that they mainly moved from the governorate of Taiz.
From 1 January to 23 December 2023, IOM Yemen DTM tracked 9,896 households (59,376 individuals) who experienced displacement at least once.