Legal Complaints Target Hezbollah Officials in Lebanese Courts

Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
TT

Legal Complaints Target Hezbollah Officials in Lebanese Courts

Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH
Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem addresses a televised speech to supporters during Ashura Day celebrations in southern Beirut, Lebanon, 06 July 2025. EPA/WAEL HAMZEH

Legal complaints are mounting against Hezbollah officials in Lebanon, accusing them of threatening national security and inciting violence against citizens, calling for the disarmament of all non-state actors, including the powerful Iran-backed group.

The latest complaint was filed by Sami Gemayel, head of the Kataeb Party and an MP, against Hezbollah's deputy chief for the Bekaa region, Faisal Shukr.

In the filing submitted to the Court of Cassation, Shukr is accused of “death threats, inciting violence and sectarian strife, and endangering Lebanon’s sovereignty and unity.”

The complaint centers on remarks made by Shukr during a speech at a Hezbollah-organized Ashura procession in the Bekaa on July 6. “Whoever calls for disarming the party, we will rip their soul out,” Shukr said in a video now submitted as evidence.

Gemayel’s legal team argued that the speech amounted to “direct incitement to violence and civil strife,” calling for Shukr’s arrest and prosecution.

This is the second high-profile legal action against Hezbollah in recent days. A group of lawyers, journalists, and activists had earlier filed a complaint against Hezbollah Secretary-General Naim Qassem.

The complaint cited Qassem’s open declaration of support for Iran during its confrontation with the United States following the Gaza war.

The plaintiffs say his statements constitute “a direct threat to Lebanon’s state policy” and “an incitement to rebellion that endangers Lebanese lives.”

While these legal actions may not advance quickly, observers say they mark a significant shift in Lebanon’s political landscape. For years, few dared to challenge Hezbollah through the courts - even after the group’s 2008 military takeover of parts of Beirut and a string of political assassinations targeting its critics.

But the judiciary, which once routinely dismissed complaints against the group, is now formally registering them. A judicial source told Asharq Al-Awsat that while investigations depend on the strength of the evidence, claims that the judiciary is biased in favor of Hezbollah are “not entirely accurate.”

“All serious cases are documented,” the source said. “But summoning individuals for questioning is easier when their whereabouts are known. That’s not always the case with Hezbollah officials.”

Beyond high-level political disputes, a number of Lebanese citizens, particularly southerners living abroad, have begun filing lawsuits against Hezbollah for allegedly endangering civilians during the recent war.

The complaints accuse the group of storing weapons under residential buildings and digging tunnels beneath homes without the owners’ knowledge, which plaintiffs say turned these areas into targets for Israeli airstrikes.

A legal source said many lawyers refused to take on these cases for fear of reprisals by Hezbollah supporters.

“Some plaintiffs were attacked simply for inspecting the ruins of their homes,” the source said, adding that business owners also claimed their shops were looted during the conflict and blamed Hezbollah for failing to protect property in areas under its control.

However, the judiciary has not yet launched formal investigations into these complaints. The legal source acknowledged that lawsuits filed against Hezbollah as an organization, without naming specific individuals, make it harder for courts to initiate proceedings.

The growing number of complaints reflects what some legal experts call a historic shift. Political activist and lawyer Elie Kairouz said the public is beginning to shed its fear of challenging Hezbollah, as the party’s once-firm grip on the state, security agencies, and judiciary weakens.

“The old consensus that the army, people, and resistance form Lebanon’s defense doctrine is gone,” Kairouz told Asharq Al-Awsat. “Today, the government is calling for exclusive state control over weapons and is working to enforce that.”

He said Hezbollah’s narrative of defending Lebanon and deterring Israel has lost traction along with the reverence once attached to its weapons.

“The real turning point,” he said, “will be when courts stop merely registering these lawsuits and begin issuing rulings. Only then can Lebanese citizens be truly protected.”



Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
TT

Former Syrian Regime Officer Arrested

Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)
Syrian Ministry of Interior in Damascus (Official Website)

Syria's Interior Ministry announced on Saturday the arrest of a former officer in Bashar al-Assad's regime holding the rank of major general and accused of committing crimes and violations.

In a statement, the ministry said that "based on precise monitoring and surveillance operations, Internal Security Forces carried out a special security operation that resulted in the arrest of criminal Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf."

"The criminal held the rank of major general under the former regime and occupied several prominent military and leadership positions, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020, and commander of the 105th Republican Guard Brigade in 2016."

According to the statement, the detainee was referred to the relevant authorities to complete investigations and take the necessary legal measures before being referred to the judiciary.

Syrian military police deployed near the explosion site in Bab Sharqi, near the headquarters of the Syrian Defense Ministry in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026. EPA/MOHAMMEDALRIFAI

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported that the operation, carried out on Friday by the Salamiyah Security Directorate, which is affiliated with the Internal Security Command in Hama, comes "as part of the Interior Ministry's and relevant authorities' efforts to pursue and hold accountable those involved in crimes and violations committed against the Syrian people during the former regime, based on the principle of ending impunity, achieving transitional justice, and guaranteeing the rights of victims and their families."

Earlier on Friday, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohammed Imad Mahrez, one of the guards at Saydnaya prison during the former regime, making this the second such operation.


Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
TT

Hezbollah Says Message from Iran Shows it 'Will Not Give up' on Group

Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags, including one bearing a picture of its leader, Naim Qassem, as they pass rubble of destroyed buildings in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Friday, April 17, 2026, following a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

Hezbollah said Saturday that a message from Tehran showed that Iran would not abandon the Lebanese militant group and that the Islamic republic's latest proposal to end the US-Iran war included a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah said in a statement that its chief Naim Qassem had received a message from Tehran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, which indicated that Iran "will not give up its support for movements demanding justice and freedom, foremost among them Hezbollah".

In Iran's latest proposal through Pakistani mediators aimed at achieving "a permanent and stable end to the war, the demand to include Lebanon in the ceasefire was emphasised", the statement added.


South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
TT

South Lebanon Hospital Damaged in Israeli Strikes

Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)
Volunteers from the Lebanese Red Cross rescue a woman in the city of Nabatieh in South Lebanon (AFP)

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon on Saturday, hours after overnight raids on the country's south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive told AFP.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south on Saturday including one targeting an agricultural area, "wounding several Syrian workers".

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused "severe damage" to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

The Israeli military late on Friday night had issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes on two locations in Tyre, saying it would target "Hezbollah facilities".

Accompanying maps advised people to leave areas within 500 metres (yards) of the target buildings, with the Hiram hospital shown within the advised evacuation area.

The hospital's CEO Dr Salman Aydibi told AFP that around 40 patients were in the facility when the warning was issued, including seven in intensive care.

"We took the patients to a safer location" elsewhere inside the hospital, he said, adding that none were harmed but some 30 staff sustained minor injuries.

He said an evaluation of the damage was ongoing and that the hospital has remained operational, though the emergency department briefly closed.

He said it was the third strike near the facility since the latest Israel-Hezbollah war erupted on March 2.

Israel's army said Saturday that it had targeted "Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Tyre" overnight where operatives from the Iran-backed group worked to "plan and execute attacks" against Israeli soldiers.

"Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate harm to civilians, including the issuing of advance warnings, the use of precise munitions, and aerial surveillance," it added.

Another AFP correspondent saw heavy damage at both targeted sites in Tyre, with a man searching for his belongings among the debris at one location.

Israel's army also targeted east Lebanon overnight, saying it struck a "Hezbollah underground compound" used to manufacture weapons.

Lebanon's Hamas-aligned Islamist group Jamaa Islamiya and its armed wing the Al-Fajr Forces said Saturday in a statement that one of its members was killed in an Israeli strike in east Lebanon.

Under the terms of the ceasefire published by Washington, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".