Zarif Rules Out New Nuclear Deal Talks with US
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Monday said Tehran is not interested in talks with Washington, but any mediation should focus on bringing the United States back to the 2015 nuclear deal which it left last year.
Zarif was speaking in Finland after meeting Foreign Affairs Minister Pekka Haavisto, who said Europe was doing its best to salvage the deal.
President Donald Trump's administration has taken a maximalist approach to Tehran.
Tensions have been high between the countries since Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the nuclear deal over a year ago and imposed sanctions, including on Iran's oil industry.
Iran recently has begun to break the accord itself while trying to push Europe to help it sell oil abroad.