Assad Orders Measures Against Rami Makhlouf’s Companies

A combination photo of Bashar Assad and Rami Makhlouf
A combination photo of Bashar Assad and Rami Makhlouf
TT

Assad Orders Measures Against Rami Makhlouf’s Companies

A combination photo of Bashar Assad and Rami Makhlouf
A combination photo of Bashar Assad and Rami Makhlouf

The head of the Syrian regime, Bashar Assad, has ordered a series of measures against companies owned by his cousin, Rami Makhlouf, in Syria, informed sources said on Tuesday.

The sources said the measures involve Makhlouf’s shares in the state-owned Syrian Telecom Company (Syriatel), the country’s biggest mobile phone company.

Makhlouf, Assad’s first cousin and the son of Mohammed Makhlouf, is considered a top businessmen in Syria.

In the past few years, Samer Foz appeared as a main competitor to Makhlouf, particularly after purchasing his stake at the Four Seasons hotel in the capital Damascus.

The European Union and the US have imposed sanctions on both Makhlouf and Foz due to their role in supporting the Syrian regime.

Makhlouf founded several companies, including Cham Holding. He was later linked to financing pro-regime forces and their linked militias, mainly through Al-Bustan Association.

The Syrian opposition website Kuluna Shuraka (All4Syria) reported on Tuesday that Moscow asked from Damascus a large sum of money and that Assad contacted his uncle, currently present in Russia, for this end.

However, the website said Makhlouf failed to provide the sum prompting the regime to ask a “committee tasked with fighting money laundering and the financing of terrorism, to start an investigation with 29 of the most powerful Syrian businessmen, including Makhlouf.”

The website said similar measures were taken against Mohammed Hamsho, a Syrian businessman with extensive links to the Syrian government and the Assad family.

The Damascus regime had earlier taken measures against Ayman Jaber, another businessman active in the Syrian coast.

Some opposition figures said on Tuesday that Moscow asked that Damascus pay $1billion.



US Says Disagrees with Amnesty International's Genocide Accusation Against Israel

Displaced Palestinians sit next to a makeshift oven in a tent set up on an area in Deir al-Balah, Gaza Strip Thursday, Dec. 5, 2024. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Displaced Palestinians sit next to a makeshift oven in a tent set up on an area in Deir al-Balah, Gaza Strip Thursday, Dec. 5, 2024. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
TT

US Says Disagrees with Amnesty International's Genocide Accusation Against Israel

Displaced Palestinians sit next to a makeshift oven in a tent set up on an area in Deir al-Balah, Gaza Strip Thursday, Dec. 5, 2024. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Displaced Palestinians sit next to a makeshift oven in a tent set up on an area in Deir al-Balah, Gaza Strip Thursday, Dec. 5, 2024. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)

The United States disagrees with Amnesty International's conclusion that Israel has committed genocide against Palestinians in the Gaza war, the State Department said on Thursday.

State Department deputy spokesperson Vedant Patel told reporters at a regular news briefing that the US continues to find allegations of genocide in Gaza unfounded, after the London-based Amnesty International human rights group in a report on Thursday said Israel has committed genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.

The 1948 Genocide Convention, enacted in the wake of the mass murder of Jews in the Nazi Holocaust, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group.”
Israel has consistently rejected any accusation of genocide, saying it has respected international law and has a right to defend itself after the cross-border Hamas attack from Gaza on Oct. 7, 2023 that precipitated the war.

Israel launched its air and ground war in Gaza after Hamas-led fighters attacked Israeli communities across the border 14 months ago, killing 1,200 people and taking over 250 hostages back to Gaza, according to Israeli tallies.
Gaza's Health Ministry says that Israel's military campaign since then has killed more than 44,400 Palestinians and injured many others.
Palestinian and UN officials say there are no safe areas left in Gaza, a tiny, densely populated and heavily built-up coastal territory. Most of Gaza's 2.3 million people have been internally displaced, some as many as 10 times.