The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said on Sunday it had pulled out all its fighters from the border town of Ras al-Ain as part of a US-brokered deal to withdraw from a "safe zone" that Turkey aims to establish near its border.
"We don't have any more fighters in the city," Kino Gabriel the SDF spokesman said in a statement.
Earlier, Turkey-backed rebels who had taken control of most of the town last week had said the Syrian Kurdish YPG were still entrenched in nearly 30 percent of the town.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday that Ankara expects the United States to keep its promises and not use stalling tactics in the deal to pause Ankara’s offensive into northeastern Syria.
Ankara and Washington agreed on Thursday to a five-day truce in northeastern Syria to allow the YPG to withdraw from the "safe zone.”
Erdogan has said the offensive will resume if the withdrawal is not complete within the five days.
Speaking at an event in Istanbul, Erdogan said he had told the European Union countries and the US delegation with which he struck the deal that Turkey would resume the operation if the deal faltered.