The Yemeni legitimate government and the Southern Transitional Council (STC) exchanged accusations on Friday on which side violated the Riyadh Agreement signed in Saudi Arabia between the two parties last month.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the STC rejected the so-called “continuous military mobilization of government forces towards the south.”
However, the government denied those claims and instead, it held the STC accountable for the escalation and the endeavor to impede the implementation of the Riyadh Agreement.
Spokesperson for the legitimate government Rajeh Badi affirmed Friday that the government strictly abides by the Agreement and is committed to implement its clauses in line with the specified mechanism.
He categorically denied any military mobilization toward the interim capital Aden as claimed in the STC statement.
Badi affirmed that a battalion of the Presidential Guard Brigade (PGB) came to Abyan heading toward Aden in accordance with the Riyadh Agreement, which stipulated the PGB’s return to Aden.
“The battalion, which has been authorized to return to Aden was moved in coordination with the brethren in the Command of Arab Coalition in accordance with the Riyadh Agreement's clauses,” he said.
Last month, Riyadh pushed the STC and Yemen's government to hold reconciliation talks, which succeeded in reaching a deal to form a new technocrat cabinet of no more than 24 ministers.
The deal also stipulated the return of the Yemeni government to Aden and the unification of all military units under the authority of the country's interior and defense ministries.
STC spokesman Nizar Haitham said the Council reiterates its full commitment to the Riyadh Agreement, and calls on all other parties to behave reciprocally.
“We reject all government attempts to violate the text of the agreement, including the ongoing mobilization towards the south,” he said.