India Hospital Fire Kills 13 COVID-19 Patients

A patient is wheeled inside a COVID-19 hospital for treatment, amidst the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Ahmedabad, India, April 19, 2021. REUTERS/Amit Dave
A patient is wheeled inside a COVID-19 hospital for treatment, amidst the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Ahmedabad, India, April 19, 2021. REUTERS/Amit Dave
TT

India Hospital Fire Kills 13 COVID-19 Patients

A patient is wheeled inside a COVID-19 hospital for treatment, amidst the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Ahmedabad, India, April 19, 2021. REUTERS/Amit Dave
A patient is wheeled inside a COVID-19 hospital for treatment, amidst the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Ahmedabad, India, April 19, 2021. REUTERS/Amit Dave

Thirteen Covid-19 patients died in a hospital fire on Friday in the latest tragedy to hit India's health care system as it buckles under a devastating wave of infections.

The outbreak has been blamed on a new virus variant and lax government rules allowing huge religious and political gatherings to take place in recent months.

The latest fire broke out in the hospital in the outskirts of Mumbai at around 3:00 am (2130 GMT), a local official told AFP. It has since been put out and the cause was being investigated.

"There were 17 patients inside when a fire broke out in the ICU of Vijay Vallabh Hospital, out of which 13 died and four have been shifted to other facilities," fire department official Morrison Khavari said.

India's health care system has long suffered from underfunding and the new Covid outbreak has seen critical shortages in oxygen, drugs and hospital beds, sparking desperate pleas for help.

Earlier this week, 22 Covid-19 patients died at another hospital in the same state when the oxygen supply to their ventilators was disrupted by a leak.

And four patients died when a blaze broke out in a private hospital in Maharashtra earlier this month. In March a fire at a Mumbai clinic killed 11.

India has recorded around four million new infections this month alone, dashing hopes at the start of the year that the country may have weathered the worst of the pandemic.

The surge in infections has been partially blamed on large-scale outdoor events including the vast Kumbh Mela gathering in Haridwar, which between January and this week attracted an estimated 25 million Hindu pilgrims, mostly without masks or social distancing.

The capital New Delhi continues to be among the worst hit, with hundreds of thousands of new infections and many new hospitalizations in the last few days.



Cyprus Votes for New Parliament with Corruption and Living Costs in Focus

A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
TT

Cyprus Votes for New Parliament with Corruption and Living Costs in Focus

A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou

Cypriots ‌went to the polls on Sunday in a parliamentary election expected to deliver gains for anti-corruption campaigners and the far right, while weakening centrist parties that back President Nikos Christodoulides.

In a vote being closely watched for signs of public sentiment ahead of a 2028 presidential election, more than half a million registered voters will elect 56 lawmakers from a record field of 753 candidates, Reuters said.

Cyprus has ‌a presidential ‌system of government, but Sunday's poll ‌is ⁠a gauge of ⁠support for Christodoulides, who does not have a party of his own so relies on the backing of others to pass legislation.

Polls close at 1500 GMT, with conclusive voting results expected about two hours later.

NEWCOMERS SEEN GAINING GROUND

Three centrist parties - ⁠Diko, Dipa and EDEK - currently support ‌the president, but the ‌latest opinion polls show weaker voter backing for at ‌least two of them.

The island's other traditional ‌political forces, including the right-wing DISY and Communist AKEL parties, have also been losing ground to newer challengers.

Polls show gains for the far-right ELAM party, as ‌well as for political newcomers ALMA and Volt, which have campaigned on a platform ⁠of ⁠better accountability and rooting out corruption - an issue that is high on voters' list of priorities.

Sunday's vote might force Christodoulides to seek support elsewhere, political analysts say, with some suggesting that ELAM and DISY could be possible candidates. Neither Christodoulides nor the two parties have commented on possible post-election alliances.

The vote took place against a backdrop of persistent cost-of-living pressures, housing affordability concerns and migration, issues that have dominated political debate in the European Union member state during recent months.


Dozens Killed in Blast Targeting Train in SW Pakistan

Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
TT

Dozens Killed in Blast Targeting Train in SW Pakistan

Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)

At least 24 people were killed on Sunday in a blast targeting a train carrying military personnel in Pakistan's turbulent southwestern province of Balochistan, a senior official said.

Army servicemen were among the victims in the attack in the provincial capital Quetta, which left more than 50 people injured, the official told AFP.

Images showed a mangled train carriage on its side as people clambered over the wreckage to find survivors.

People could be seen carrying blood-soaked victims on stretchers away from a derailed car, while armed security forces stood guard.

The official told AFP that the train carrying army personnel and their family members was going from Quetta to Peshawar in Pakistan's northwest.

The train was passing a signal at Chaman Pattak in Quetta "when an explosive-laden car hit one of the carriages that resulted in a big blast", the official said.

Windows were blown out and nearby vehicles were destroyed in the explosion.

Another official told AFP that the army personnel were travelling to celebrate the Eid holiday, which is due to start on Tuesday.

Balochistan is Pakistan's poorest province and largest by landmass. It lags behind the rest of the country in almost every index, including education, employment and economic development.

Baloch separatists accuse Pakistan's government of exploiting the province's natural gas and abundant mineral resources without benefiting the local population.


Britain’s Navy Prepares to Clear Mines in the Strait of Hormuz While Waiting for a Peace Deal

 Britain's Armed Forces Minister Al Carns, center, inspects autonomous vehicles with sonar sensor that can detect and identify mines, on RFA Lyme Bay in territory of Gibraltar, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP)
Britain's Armed Forces Minister Al Carns, center, inspects autonomous vehicles with sonar sensor that can detect and identify mines, on RFA Lyme Bay in territory of Gibraltar, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP)
TT

Britain’s Navy Prepares to Clear Mines in the Strait of Hormuz While Waiting for a Peace Deal

 Britain's Armed Forces Minister Al Carns, center, inspects autonomous vehicles with sonar sensor that can detect and identify mines, on RFA Lyme Bay in territory of Gibraltar, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP)
Britain's Armed Forces Minister Al Carns, center, inspects autonomous vehicles with sonar sensor that can detect and identify mines, on RFA Lyme Bay in territory of Gibraltar, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (AP)

Aboard the RFA Lyme Bay docked off the coast of Gibraltar, hundreds of British sailors are waiting to be deployed for a mine-clearing mission to the Strait of Hormuz that is still in doubt.

US President Donald Trump has lashed out at allies for not doing more to support the United States' war effort in Iran, whose chokehold on the strait has crippled international shipping and sent energy prices soaring. In March, Trump told NATO allies to "go get your own oil" and secure the strait themselves.

On the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula, in the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar, the UK’s Royal Navy is preparing to do that, but only once a peace agreement is reached. Trump said Saturday that a deal with Iran has been "largely negotiated" after calls with Israel and other allies in the region, but it still needs finalizing.

Britain’s Armed Forces Minister Al Carns took a small group of reporters to visit the RFA Lyme Bay as it prepares for a possible international operation, led by the UK and France, to secure the strait. As Carns spoke, the amphibious landing vessel, docked at the gateway to the Mediterranean, was being loaded with ammunition and mine-hunting sea drones equipped with sonar.

With a crew of several hundred sailors, the RFA Lyme Bay will soon depart Gibraltar to link up with the UK destroyer HMS Dragon and allied ships for air support before sailing through the Suez Canal to the Gulf.

"Which other country can pull together 40 nations and come up with a solution to deal with a complex problem that we couldn’t predict because we weren’t involved?" asked Carns, responding to a question from The Associated Press about what Trump wants from his British ally.

After the US and Israel launched the war on Feb. 28, Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the strait, a key waterway for the region’s oil, natural gas and fertilizer, causing global economic pain. The UK in particular has drawn the ire of Trump, who has described Britain’s navy as "toys" and Prime Minister Keir Starmer as "not Winston Churchill."

At least 6,000 ships have been blocked from passing through the strait since the conflict began, Carns said.

There could be a range of threats from Iran’s mines

Iran could have a "huge" variety of mines throughout strait, said Cmdr. Gemma Britton, who is in charge of the Royal Navy’s Mine and Threat Exploitation Group. Mines could be rocket-propelled, cabled or sit on the seabed and be triggered by sound, movement or light.

AP was shown autonomous systems that can scan the seabed and the water with sonar in about half the time it takes for a crewed vessel to enter and map potential dangers. The sea drones equipped with sonar produce a picture of objects under the water, from fishing traps to pipelines. The picture is used to identify mines that can be explored with advanced acoustic systems and cameras, Britton said.

Some of the systems on the RFA Lyme Bay can be loaded onto a smaller vessel that can be launched and piloted autonomously from the ship, which acts as a mother ship, waiting outside any potential minefield, Britton said. That reduces the number of people needed to enter, she said.

Once a mine has been located, a diver with explosives normally places a charge on the mine before swimming away to detonate it. But RFA Lyme Bay is trialing a remotely operated vehicle that dives and drops a charge by a mine before setting it off, Britton said.

The priority, she said, will be to clear a transit lane in the strait to allow around 700 ships to leave. A lane flowing in the opposite direction will then be cleared, allowing ships to enter, she said, but added that clearing the entire strait could take months or years.

It's still not clear if the UK and its allies will be deployed

It's still not clear if any mines are in the strait — or if the UK and its allies will be deploying to remove them.

When asked by AP if the British effort was partly for show, to curry favor with the US, Carns said he was sure some mines had been blown up or floated away but that assurance is not good enough for commercial insurance companies. He said those companies need "absolute certainty" to get vessels traveling through the strait again.

"That’s what this capability will provide," he said.

The international effort to secure the strait would happen only once hostilities are over.

"Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly," Trump said Saturday on social media, with no details on timing.

This is not the first time in recent weeks that a deal has been described as close.

"We don’t know when the Americans, Iranians and Israelis are going to come up with a suitable solution," Carns said.

In the meantime, the RFA Lyme Bay and its crew will be waiting and will be "really, really ready," Carns said.