Iraq Condemns Iran’s Violation of its Sovereignty

Members of the Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI) check the damage after a rocket attack inside their headquarters in Koysinjaq. (AFP)
Members of the Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI) check the damage after a rocket attack inside their headquarters in Koysinjaq. (AFP)
TT

Iraq Condemns Iran’s Violation of its Sovereignty

Members of the Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI) check the damage after a rocket attack inside their headquarters in Koysinjaq. (AFP)
Members of the Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI) check the damage after a rocket attack inside their headquarters in Koysinjaq. (AFP)

Baghdad on Sunday condemned Iran’s attack against the Kurdistan Region’s town of Koya as a violation of the country’s sovereignty.

“The Ministry affirms Iraq’s keenness on the security of its neighbors and its refusal to allow its territory to be used to threaten the security of those countries,” Ahmed Mahjoub, a spokesperson for the Iraqi Foreign Ministry, said in a statement.

He added that Iraq “categorically rejects” the violation of its sovereignty via bombings “without prior coordination with the Iraqi authorities, to spare civilians of the effects of such operations.”

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards boasted earlier that it had launched the missiles.

On Saturday, at least 14 Kurds were killed after Tehran launched seven missile strikes on bases of the Democratic Party of Iranian Kurdistan (PDKI) in the province of Koya.

Koya, also known as Koysinjaq, is located in the eastern Erbil province.

The party had said Sunday that a drone was flying above the PDKI’s headquarter where a meeting was taking place before it was attacked by Katyusha missiles.

“The attack was carried out using seven Fateh-110 type short-range surface-to-surface missiles,” an IRGC statement said, without disclosing the location they were launched from.

The IRGC asserted that opposition groups have led to “widespread insecurity” in Rojhilati provinces and have deprived locals of “safety and peace.”

Later, Iran’s news agency Tasnim broadcast footage of the attack.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei urged Iran's armed forces on Sunday to increase their power to "scare off" the enemy.

“Increase your power as much as you can, because your power scares off the enemy and forces it to retreat," his official website quoted him as saying at a graduation ceremony for cadets of Iran's regular armed forces.



Rubio Says Announcement Possible Later Sunday on Iran War

 US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)
TT

Rubio Says Announcement Possible Later Sunday on Iran War

 US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks at a joint presser with India’s Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar (not pictured) following their talks in New Delhi, India, May 24, 2026. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via Reuters)

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said an announcement was possible later Sunday on a deal with Iran that could formally end the Middle East war, insisting goals had been met.

"I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news," Rubio told reporters in New Delhi.

Rubio, who is on his first visit to India, said the emerging deal would address US President Donald Trump's concerns on the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran has largely blocked in response to the US-Israeli attack.

The agreement would also start a "process that can ultimately leave us where the president wants us to be, and that is a world that no longer has to fear or worry about an Iranian nuclear weapon", he added.

His remarks came after Trump said a proposal that included opening the Strait of Hormuz had been "largely negotiated".

"An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, Iran, and the various other Countries," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform on Saturday.

The emerging agreement has quickly met criticism from usual supporters of Trump including Senator Ted Cruz and Mike Pompeo, Trump's secretary of state in his first term.

Both are staunch supporters of Israel and voiced opposition to Iran soon receiving benefits such as the unimpeded ability to sell its oil.

Cruz said the outcome could be a "disastrous mistake".

Asked about the criticism, Rubio said "no one has been stronger" among US presidents against Iran by launching the war, codenamed Epic Fury.

"When this conflict began with Iran, the goals were outlined, they were very simple, they were very clear -- we were going to destroy their navy, which was done," he said.

Rubio said the United States also aimed to "significantly reduce" Iran's ability to fire ballistic missiles and to "do damage to the defense-industrial base" of the country.

"Those were the objectives of Epic Fury. Those objectives were achieved," Rubio said.


Cyprus Votes for New Parliament with Corruption and Living Costs in Focus

A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
TT

Cyprus Votes for New Parliament with Corruption and Living Costs in Focus

A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou
A woman casts her vote in the parliamentary elections at a polling station in Nicosia, Cyprus, 24 May 2026. EPA/George Christophorou

Cypriots ‌went to the polls on Sunday in a parliamentary election expected to deliver gains for anti-corruption campaigners and the far right, while weakening centrist parties that back President Nikos Christodoulides.

In a vote being closely watched for signs of public sentiment ahead of a 2028 presidential election, more than half a million registered voters will elect 56 lawmakers from a record field of 753 candidates, Reuters said.

Cyprus has ‌a presidential ‌system of government, but Sunday's poll ‌is ⁠a gauge of ⁠support for Christodoulides, who does not have a party of his own so relies on the backing of others to pass legislation.

Polls close at 1500 GMT, with conclusive voting results expected about two hours later.

NEWCOMERS SEEN GAINING GROUND

Three centrist parties - ⁠Diko, Dipa and EDEK - currently support ‌the president, but the ‌latest opinion polls show weaker voter backing for at ‌least two of them.

The island's other traditional ‌political forces, including the right-wing DISY and Communist AKEL parties, have also been losing ground to newer challengers.

Polls show gains for the far-right ELAM party, as ‌well as for political newcomers ALMA and Volt, which have campaigned on a platform ⁠of ⁠better accountability and rooting out corruption - an issue that is high on voters' list of priorities.

Sunday's vote might force Christodoulides to seek support elsewhere, political analysts say, with some suggesting that ELAM and DISY could be possible candidates. Neither Christodoulides nor the two parties have commented on possible post-election alliances.

The vote took place against a backdrop of persistent cost-of-living pressures, housing affordability concerns and migration, issues that have dominated political debate in the European Union member state during recent months.


Dozens Killed in Blast Targeting Train in SW Pakistan

Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
TT

Dozens Killed in Blast Targeting Train in SW Pakistan

Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)
Firefighters work to extinguish the burning cars at the site of bomb explosion, in Quetta, Pakistan, Sunday, May 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Arshad Butt)

At least 24 people were killed on Sunday in a blast targeting a train carrying military personnel in Pakistan's turbulent southwestern province of Balochistan, a senior official said.

Army servicemen were among the victims in the attack in the provincial capital Quetta, which left more than 50 people injured, the official told AFP.

Images showed a mangled train carriage on its side as people clambered over the wreckage to find survivors.

People could be seen carrying blood-soaked victims on stretchers away from a derailed car, while armed security forces stood guard.

The official told AFP that the train carrying army personnel and their family members was going from Quetta to Peshawar in Pakistan's northwest.

The train was passing a signal at Chaman Pattak in Quetta "when an explosive-laden car hit one of the carriages that resulted in a big blast", the official said.

Windows were blown out and nearby vehicles were destroyed in the explosion.

Another official told AFP that the army personnel were travelling to celebrate the Eid holiday, which is due to start on Tuesday.

Balochistan is Pakistan's poorest province and largest by landmass. It lags behind the rest of the country in almost every index, including education, employment and economic development.

Baloch separatists accuse Pakistan's government of exploiting the province's natural gas and abundant mineral resources without benefiting the local population.