Nearly 700,000 Displaced in NW Syria as Regime Fire Spikes

Syrian opposition fighters fire a rocket in northwestern Syria where battles with government forces have intensified in recent weeks | AFP
Syrian opposition fighters fire a rocket in northwestern Syria where battles with government forces have intensified in recent weeks | AFP
TT

Nearly 700,000 Displaced in NW Syria as Regime Fire Spikes

Syrian opposition fighters fire a rocket in northwestern Syria where battles with government forces have intensified in recent weeks | AFP
Syrian opposition fighters fire a rocket in northwestern Syria where battles with government forces have intensified in recent weeks | AFP

A Russia-backed regime offensive has displaced close to 700,000 people in northwest Syria since December, the United Nations said Monday, as bombardment by Damascus and Moscow killed 29 civilians in 24 hours.

Syrian government forces backed by Moscow have pressed a blistering assault against the last major rebel bastion in Syria's northwest for more than two months.

The violence in the provinces of Idlib and Aleppo has displaced 689,000 people, said David Swanson, spokesman for the United Nation's humanitarian coordination office, OCHA.

"The number of people being displaced in this crisis is now spiraling out of control," he told AFP.

The exodus is one of the largest of the nine-year civil war and risks creating one of the worst humanitarian catastrophes of the conflict.

It comes amid heightened bombardment by the regime and Russia which left 29 civilians dead in less than 24 hours.

Six children were among nine civilians killed early Monday in raids on the village of Abin Semaan, in Aleppo province where Russian-backed regime forces have been waging a fierce offensive to retake a key highway, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

At the site of the raids, a rescue worker carried out the body of a little girl in a thick woolen blanket, while one of her relatives pleaded for the body, said an AFP correspondent.

Volunteers shivering in near-freezing temperatures hacked away at mounds of rubble, rescuing a dust-covered man and a little child who had been trapped beneath.

The latest airstrikes follow a night of heavy bombardment by Russia and the regime that had already killed at least 20 civilians in the neighboring provinces of Idlib and Aleppo, according to the Observatory.

- Sleeping in the open -

Around half of Idlib province, along with slivers of neighboring Aleppo and Latakia provinces, is dominated by militants of the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham alliance and their rebel allies.

Some three million people, half of them already displaced at least once by violence elsewhere in Syria, live in the area.

Some 50,000 fighters are also in the shrinking pocket, many of them militants but the majority allied rebels, according to the Observatory.

The heightened attacks on the region come as pro-regime forces close in on a section of a key transport artery that has long been in their sights.

The M5 connects Damascus to second city Aleppo and is economically vital to the government after nine years of war.

Only a two-kilometer section of the highway remain outside government control after regime forces seized large swathes of it in Idlib and Aleppo in recent weeks.

The Syrian army said in a statement Sunday it had recaptured 600 square kilometers (230 square miles) in its latest push, comprising "dozens of villages and locations" in south Idlib and west Aleppo provinces.

Fleeing the army's advance, entire families have headed north in cars piled high with blankets, chairs, and pans as they seek to survive the winter.

But many are struggling to find shelter in the biting cold.

Displacement camps are at five times their capacity and the few available apartments are prohibitively expensive, forcing civilians to sleep in cars and open fields, aid groups and residents say.

- Turkish warnings -

The escalation in northwest Syria has sparked alarm from opposition backer Turkey which already hosts some 3.7 million Syrian refugees and fears another influx towards its border.

Since Friday, Turkey has shipped large convoys of vehicles carrying commandos, tanks, and howitzer artillery pieces to shore up 12 military posts it had set up in Idlib under a 2018 deal with Russia to stave off a regime offensive.

But the agreement has failed to stymie the government's advance, with Turkey saying regime forces have surrounded three of its outposts despite repeated warnings against such a move.

Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar on Sunday said Ankara had other plans if agreements over the region continue to be violated.

"We have Plan B and Plan C," he said in an interview with the Hurriyet daily.

"We on every occasion say 'do not force us, otherwise our Plan B and Plan C are ready'."

He did not give details, but referred to Ankara's military campaigns in Syria since 2016.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has given Damascus until the end of the month to pull back from the outposts, and urged Russia to convince the regime to halt its offensive.

The warning came after eight Turks were killed last week by regime shelling, prompting a deadly response by the Turkish army.



Israelis Return to Last West Bank Settlement Closed over 20 Years Ago

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Israelis Return to Last West Bank Settlement Closed over 20 Years Ago

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Israelis began moving into the occupied West Bank settlement of Kadim on Thursday, the local settler council said, the last of four communities from which Israel withdrew more than two decades ago to be repopulated.

It came a week after Israel officially reopened neighboring Ganim, in a move emblematic of the current government's policy of rapid settlement expansion in the occupied Palestinian territory.

The Samaria regional council, which administers Israeli settlements in the northern West Bank, described the return to Kadim as a "historic milestone".

"At this very moment, the families of the pioneering settler core are moving into Kadim, a community that was uprooted during the disengagement," it said in a statement.

It said that 30 families were moving to live permanently in the settlement, accompanied on Thursday by far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and head of the Samaria regional council, Yossi Dagan.

Kadim is one of four Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank that Israel evacuated under former prime minister Ariel Sharon's disengagement plan in 2005, which also included abandoning all Israeli settlements in the Gaza Strip.

The move came partly because of their isolated location in the north of the West Bank, among many Palestinian cities and villages.

Under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government, settlement construction and expansion have surged, including with the re-establishment of all four evacuated communities -- Ganim, Sa-Nur, Homesh and now Kadim.

"Twenty-one years after the crime of the expulsion from northern Samaria, today we have completed the rectification," Smotrich was quoted as saying in the statement on Thursday.

"These communities constitute a real security buffer for the entire State of Israel," he added, vowing to establish 19 settlements in the northernmost part of the West Bank.

Dagan said: "We have come home, and this time to stay and grow twentyfold."

"We are raising the flag again, closing the circle, and continuing to build Samaria with full force," he added, using the Biblical term for the northern West Bank.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967. More than 500,000 Israelis live in settlements in the territory, which are illegal under international law, among some three million Palestinians.


Türkiye, Egypt, Qatar Condemn Israeli Attacks on Gaza, Call on Israel to Comply with Ceasefire Obligations

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
TT

Türkiye, Egypt, Qatar Condemn Israeli Attacks on Gaza, Call on Israel to Comply with Ceasefire Obligations

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER

Türkiye, Egypt and Qatar on Thursday strongly condemned recent Israeli strikes in Gaza, saying in a joint statement that Israel must comply with its obligations under a ceasefire agreement and refrain from steps that could escalate tensions.

"The mediating countries underline that the intensification of Israeli attacks undermines regional and international efforts at a critical juncture, as intensive efforts are under way to implement the Comprehensive Plan to End the Gaza Conflict, including the meeting between the Board of Peace and Israeli officials, and constructive steps are being taken in the negotiation process," they said, Reuters reported.

The international community and Board of Peace must take the necessary steps to ensure compliance with the ceasefire and prevent further escalation, they added.


Vatican Says 'Serious Concerns' over Israel-Lebanon Deal Implementation

Lebanese Army soldiers monitor the movements of Israeli forces stationed in a neighboring village, in Zawtar al-Gharbiyah, Nabatieh Governorate, southern Lebanon, 31 July 2026, following a US-brokered security agreement between Lebanon and Israel.   EPA/STRINGER
Lebanese Army soldiers monitor the movements of Israeli forces stationed in a neighboring village, in Zawtar al-Gharbiyah, Nabatieh Governorate, southern Lebanon, 31 July 2026, following a US-brokered security agreement between Lebanon and Israel. EPA/STRINGER
TT

Vatican Says 'Serious Concerns' over Israel-Lebanon Deal Implementation

Lebanese Army soldiers monitor the movements of Israeli forces stationed in a neighboring village, in Zawtar al-Gharbiyah, Nabatieh Governorate, southern Lebanon, 31 July 2026, following a US-brokered security agreement between Lebanon and Israel.   EPA/STRINGER
Lebanese Army soldiers monitor the movements of Israeli forces stationed in a neighboring village, in Zawtar al-Gharbiyah, Nabatieh Governorate, southern Lebanon, 31 July 2026, following a US-brokered security agreement between Lebanon and Israel. EPA/STRINGER

The Vatican expressed "serious concerns" Thursday about problems implementing a US-brokered deal between Israel and Lebanon, following a meeting between Pope Leo XIV and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun.

During a private, 30-minute audience at the Vatican, Aoun had urged the pontiff to support Beirut's push to secure the withdrawal of Israeli forces from south Lebanon envisaged by the deal, the Lebanese presidency said.

"The Holy See, whilst welcoming the signing of the document, has expressed serious concerns about the difficulties being encountered in implementing it, and has pledged its support for efforts to that end," the Vatican said in a statement.

Lebanon and Israel launched US-sponsored direct talks after the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war in March by attacking Israel.

Israel responded with airstrikes and a ground invasion.

The framework agreement reached in June calls for the disarmament of Hezbollah, a gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces and the deployment of the Lebanese army to the region, starting in "pilot zones".

Despite a weeks-long lull in fighting, Israel has kept up intermittent strikes and heavy demolition operations in south Lebanon.

Its forces are operating in a strip of territory around 10 kilometres (six miles) deep inside the Lebanese border.

At the Vatican, Aoun also met with the Holy See's second-in-command, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, and its top diplomat, Paul Richard Gallagher.

The "cordial talks" focused on the US-mediated deal, the Vatican said.

Aoun called on the head of the Catholic Church to "support Lebanon's efforts to achieve a full Israeli withdrawal from the occupied Lebanese territories, paving the way for the reconstruction of what Israel has destroyed," according to the Lebanese presidency.

He also urged the Pope and Vatican officials to "continue their diplomatic efforts" to ensure that Israel implements the terms of the deal and ends attacks against civilians, infrastructure, and villages, it said.

It was the second private audience between Pope Leo and Aoun at the Vatican.

The Chicago-born leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics visited Lebanon late last year, and has repeatedly urged de-escalation in the Middle East and a need for a diplomatic solution.

Aoun is also expected to meet Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Friday.

Rome has hosted the last two rounds of Israel-Lebanon talks.

Italy and France said in June they wanted to set up a multinational coalition to succeed the United Nations peacekeeping force in south Lebanon, whose mandate ends this year.