Iraqi Forces on Alert After ISIS Militants Escape from Syrian Prison

Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)
Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)
TT

Iraqi Forces on Alert After ISIS Militants Escape from Syrian Prison

Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)
Iraqi forces, with the support of the Popular Mobilization Forces, advance in the Hatra desert on Sunday as they flush out remaining ISIS fighters (AFP)

Iraqi security forces on Sunday were put on high alert in three governorates located close to the Syrian border, to prevent any infiltration attempts after reports that ISIS inmates escaped from a prison in northeastern Syria.

A source in the Iraqi Ministry of Defense told the Arab World Press (AWP) Sunday that “the Ministry mobilized all its forces stationed close to the Syrian border and supported them with additional forces, after receiving information that terrorists had escaped from a prison in northeastern Syria.”

“The 7th Division, stationed at the border strip opposite al-Hol camp and up towards the north, took precautionary measures and began extensive sweeping and ground reconnaissance operations to prevent infiltration,” the source affirmed, adding that the Ministry also mobilized its air forces to comb out the area.

“Since Saturday, the forces have been roaming the skies on the border strip with Syria and in the Nineveh and west Al-Jazeera operations commands, to monitor any suspicious movements,” the source said.

On Saturday, media reports said 37 ISIS members escaped from a prison in Ras al-Ayn in the Hasakah governorate in northeastern Syria, an area controlled by Turkish forces and close to the borders of both Iraq and Türkiye.

The reports indicated that the fugitives included Iraqis.

Later, a statement issued by the Popular Mobilization Forces said its Nineveh Operations Command launched a comprehensive security operation from Hadar Island, stretching to the border areas adjacent to Saladin and Al-Jazeera Operations Commands, spanning across four strategic axes.

Meanwhile, the Anbar Operations Commander, Lieutenant-General Numan Al-Zobaie, told AWP that the Iraqi forces are continuing to pursue terrorists deep in the desert and to prevent any infiltration.

He ruled out any possible infiltration of prisoners fleeing from Syria into Anbar due to the tight security measures enforced at the borders.

Earlier, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said military and security forces at the Kurdish-dominated Autonomous Administration areas were put on high alert since early Saturday after 37 prisoners escaped from a prison in Ras Al-Ain city in “Peace Spring” area in north-western Hasaka.

The prisoners included 18 civilians from Al-Darbasiyah and Amuda in the Hasaka countryside, who had been arrested at different times while they were sneaking into the “Peace Spring” area with the help of smugglers, the Observatory noted.

It added that the18 inmates arrived on Saturday to SDF-controlled areas after their families paid ransoms of $3,000 per person.

The inmates were arrested by SDF forces. They were interrogated shortly after their arrival.

Meanwhile, SDF security services are chasing 19 other prisoners who crossed on Saturday into SDF-controlled areas from the “Peace Spring” area, amid concerns that those prisoners are ISIS commanders who are intentionally sent to the areas to carry out planned operations.

Also, SOHR sources said about 40 families of ISIS members holding the Iraqi nationalities, including women and children, left Ras Al-Ain (Sare Kaniyeh) area within the “Peace Spring” area in the Hasaka countryside, towards Turkish territory, through the border crossing.

Sources confirmed that those families will be handed over to the Iraqi government by the Turkish consulate after entering the Turkish territory, under a joint coordination between the two sides.

 



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.