Iraqi President: 600,000 IDPs Live in Extremely Complex, Challenging Conditions

Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)
Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)
TT

Iraqi President: 600,000 IDPs Live in Extremely Complex, Challenging Conditions

Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)
Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid with the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari (Iraqi Presidency)

Iraq's President Abdul Latif Rashid said on Sunday that approximately 600,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs) are enduring highly complex and challenging circumstances.

 

Rashid had received the UN Assistant Secretary-General and Development Program (UNDP) Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Arab States, Abdallah al-Dardari, and the accompanying delegation.

The Iraqi president underscored the need to develop ties with the UN through its specialized agencies to achieve the desired objectives of supporting Iraq in a way that helps resolve the problems of the displaced, and promotes the country's economy and development, a statement by the Presidency Office said.

He referred to the national capabilities of engineers and the workforce that can be used through cooperation with United Nations organizations to help the immigrants.

The president urged the UN delegation to visit the ministries of water resources, agriculture, and electricity to oversee the required needs and exchange visions, ideas, and experiences to improve the situation in these areas.

The discussions also addressed the water crisis faced by Iraq due to the water policies of neighboring countries and the absence of effective water management and electricity production, the statement noted.

The number of displaced Iraqis has decreased significantly in recent years after the decline of the influence of terrorist groups and the military defeat of ISIS.

UN reports indicated there were about four million displaced people at the height of the violence, and ISIS control over about a third of the lands in the west and north of the country.

The Iraqi Ministry of Immigration indicates that there are 36,000 displaced families distributed in 20 displacement camps in the Dohuk governorate in the Kurdistan region. There are also 26,000 Iraqis out of 70,000 displaced in the Syrian al-Hawl camp.

Last week, an intergovernmental meeting was held in Baghdad, sponsored by the Foreign Ministry, and attended by the National Security Adviser and international missions and organizations residing in Iraq.

The meeting aimed to discuss the vision of the Iraqi government regarding the al-Hol camp in Syria.

The Iraqi government said it was able to transfer ten batches of Iraqi families coming from the Hol camp who will be rehabilitated before their reintegration into their communities.

The return of the displaced families from the Jurf al-Sakhar area in Babil governorate is still highly questionable, given that one of the armed factions that have controlled the area for eight years has not allowed them to return.

The Ministry of Migration and Displacement announced the return of a new batch of Iraqis from the areas located on the Turkish-Syrian border, through the ministry's office in Ankara, in coordination with the Ministry of Transport and the Iraqi embassy and consulate in Türkiye.

The ministry said that 102 Iraqi citizens had been transported from the areas located on the Turkish-Syrian border to the country through the Ibrahim al-Khalil crossing of Zakho district in Dohuk.

The ministry affirmed that it would continue its efforts to "voluntarily return all families to the homeland."

 



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.