Ethiopia Again Rejects AL’s Intervention in GERD Crisis

Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
TT

Ethiopia Again Rejects AL’s Intervention in GERD Crisis

Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)
Handshake between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed at the summit of the New Global Finance Pact held in Paris (Egyptian eXtra News Channel)

Ethiopian Foreign Minister Demeke Mekonnen renewed his country’s rejection of any Arab League intervention in the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) crisis between Ethiopia and the downstream countries, Egypt and Sudan.

The position comes as Addis Ababa prepares to launch the fourth controversial filling of its mega-dam reservoir on the Blue Nile during the rainy season in July and August.

Meanwhile, an unexpected handshake and exchange of smiles between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed was witnessed Thursday at the summit of the New Global Financing Pact held in Paris.

This encounter took place despite the ongoing crisis between the two countries regarding the GERD dam.

On Thursday, Mekonnen rejected what he described as “unconstructive and unjustified interference” of the Arab League in the Renaissance dam file. The details of filling the dam were agreed among the experts of the three countries, he said, and that Ethiopia worked to address the concerns of Egypt and Sudan.

His comments echoed a similar position delivered by Addis Ababa in response to the Jeddah Declaration, in which the Arab League stated its support for the water safety of downstream countries.

Last month, the Declaration called for refraining from any unilateral steps that harm Egypt and Sudan's water interests.

In response, the Ethiopian Foreign Ministry criticized the statement of the Arab summit saying it was part of Egypt’s efforts to put pressure on Addis Ababa and is an insult to the African Union and member states.

Egypt responded, at that time, by affirming its position calling for “reaching a firm agreement regarding filling and operating the Ethiopian dam.”

Last month, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said Egypt depended throughout its history on the Nile river, and 65 percent of Egyptians work in the agricultural sector.

He also said that the African Union had undoubtedly neither succeeded in making Addis Ababa change its position nor had it recourse to similar experiences of transboundary rivers.

Meanwhile, former assistant to Egyptian Foreign Minister, Ambassador Rakha Ahmed Hassan, said the recent Ethiopian statements echo Addis Ababa’s continued intransigence.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the statements confirm that Ethiopia has no intention or desire to reach an agreement with Egypt and Sudan.

Ethiopia is thwarting the Declaration of Principles signed in March 2015, as Addis Ababa did not provide any socio-economic and environmental impact studies of the dam on downstream countries, he said.

Dr Samir Ghattas, head of Middle East Forum for Strategic Studies agreed with Ahmed Hassan. He said the recent Ethiopian statements reveal that Addis Ababa rejects binding international arbitration as a dispute settlement modality for any GERD deal.

Ghattas told Asharq Al-Awsat that Ethiopia also rejects a technical agreement on the filling of the GERD's reservoir.

“Ethiopia is using the current circumstances which placed Egypt alone in the negotiation path as Sudan is busy with the ongoing war,” he said, adding that Addis Ababa also benefits from the presence of the African Union headquarters on its soil, and therefore continues to reject all negotiations.

“There must be a method other than complaining. We have three decisive months, during which Ethiopia will implement the fourth filling of the dam,” Ghattas warned, adding that negotiations have reached a dead end.

He then affirmed that Egypt has no choice but to return to the Security Council and seek the support of the Arab countries and the European Union for the position of the two downstream countries.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.