Turkish Forces Kill 11 YPG Members in Northern Syria

Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 
Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 
TT

Turkish Forces Kill 11 YPG Members in Northern Syria

Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 
Leading members of SDF were killed in a vehicle targeted by a Turkish drone in Tell Rifaat. (Twitter) 

Turkish intelligence forces have neutralized 11 from the People’s Protection Units (YPG), the largest component of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in an operation conducted in Manbij, Aleppo’s eastern countryside.

Turkish security sources said Monday that the intelligence members determined the sites from where attacks were launched against the Operation Euphrates Shield area that is controlled by the Turkish forces and the factions known as Ankara-pro Syrian National Army in Aleppo.

The intelligence further determined the locations from where “terrorists” sneak to carry out terrorist attacks in the region.

Anadolu Agency quoted sources as saying that the MIT closely monitored the shelters of terrorists in Manbij and conducted simultaneous operations in cooperation with the Turkish Armed Forces, killing 11 terrorists from the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and its extensions and destroying a terrorists’ compound.

Türkiye considers the YPG an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party in Syria.

Ankara escalated land and aerial shelling in the past three weeks against the sites ruled by SDF and the Syrian army in northern Syria in retaliation for two SDF offensives on a military base in Kaljibrin in Aleppo’s northern countryside ad a police station in Kilis.

The Turkish Ministry of National Defense announced 69 SDF members dead in response to the two offensives.

The escalation mainly focused on Manbij and Tell Rifaat which Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced last year as the focus of a new Turkish operation that targets the SDF-ruled locations in order to resume the establishment of safe zones for Syrian refugees.

Erdogan reiterated talks about the military operation months before the presidential and parliamentary elections held in Türkiye in May. Yet it faced objections from the US, Russia, and several parties involved in the Syrian crisis.

The Turkish intelligence eradicated via drones several leaders from the YPG through recent operations in northern Syria.

Moreover, the intelligence revealed on Friday the killing of Abdul Rahman Chadarchi (Jadarji), a member of the PKK, which is designated as a terrorist organization, in an operation conducted in Al-Qamishly.

Meanwhile, Russian Military Police conducted on Monday a one-sided patrol without the Turkish forces in the eastern countryside of Kobani, eastern Aleppo.

A joint patrol was scheduled between the Russian and Turkish forces. However, the Turkish military vehicles did not show up at the border gate near the village of Gharib, 20 km east of Kobani, due to the Eid holiday.

Four Russian military vehicles passed through the scheduled patrol route alone, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Moreover, Russian forces conducted a military patrol comprising four military armored vehicles in the eastern and western countryside of Al-Dirbasiya, where the patrol set off from Al-Qamishly Airport in northern Al-Hasakah countryside and checked military checkpoints where the Syrian army is stationed near the Turkish borders.

The Russian forces continued to conduct one-sided patrols during the past three months which witnessed a Turkish escalation in the SDF and Syrian forces areas.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.