Sudanese Army Returns to Jeddah for Talks as War Enters 4th Month

A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
TT

Sudanese Army Returns to Jeddah for Talks as War Enters 4th Month

A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)
A Sudanese citizen inspects the destruction of a house in the al-Azhari neighborhood south of Khartoum (AFP)

Sudanese army representatives have returned to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia for talks with Rapid Support Forces (RSF) as the war entered its fourth month.

The RSF has made no comment on returning to the talks in Jeddah, which Saudi and US mediators adjourned last month after a series of repeatedly violated ceasefires.

However, a government source told AFP anonymously that a delegation of the armed forces has returned to Jeddah to resume negotiations with the RSF.

Reuters also quoted sources as saying that “Sudanese representatives have arrived in Saudi Arabia's Jeddah to resume talks."

- Yasser al-Atta

Meanwhile, Sovereign Council Member Lieutenant General Yasser al-Ata said that the military operations are proceeding and the war will end soon.

Ata told Asharq Al-Awsat that the army would continue to make achievements in the war against the Rapid Support Forces and that the army's morale is very high because of the people's support.

Addressing the incident in the Bahri region, Ata admitted the army sustained some losses, but the RSF lost more, and its elements continued to flee to the west of the country.

He described the RSF as rebels who committed major crimes against the people, indicating that the army was doing its duty to protect the country and its citizens.

- Back to negotiations

The army's return to the Jeddah negotiations reflects its participation in the diplomatic efforts aimed at a ceasefire after it boycotted talks last week in Ethiopia hosted by the East African regional bloc IGAD.

However, the Sudanese Foreign Ministry objected to Kenyan President William Ruto's leadership of the IGAD quartet, accusing Nairobi of siding with the RSF.

Before suspending the Jeddah talks, US mediators expressed their disappointment over the reluctance of both parties towards a real armistice.

Experts believe army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Daglo chose to wage a war of attrition, and each hoped to obtain more significant concessions at the negotiating table.

- Engineers' Corps

Eyewitnesses reported that the RSF bombed drones that targeted Khartoum's most significant military hospital, killing and injuring eight civilians, in conjunction with its major attack on the Engineers' Corps nearby.

According to witnesses, the marches took off from the al-Muqrin in the center of Khartoum. The Rapid Support Forces control the "strategy" camp in that area.

Local sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that large numbers of army and rapid support forces have gathered in separate areas of Omdurman.

Al-Tarifi Abdel-Azim, a resident of Omdurman, reported hearing bombing and clashes since the early morning.

The Rapid Support Forces launched many attacks on the medical and engineers' corps near the Old White Nile Bridge entrance linking Omdurman with Khartoum.

- Kenyan President

Meanwhile, a delegation of Sudanese political and civil leaders met the Kenyan President as part of a tour to neighboring countries aimed at ending the war.

In a statement on Saturday, the delegation said that Ruto asserted Kenya's commitment to continuing regional efforts to stop the war in Sudan and reach a political solution to the crisis.

Ruto added that his country and IGAD continue to focus on issues of war, peace, and democratic transition in Sudan.

The Sudanese delegation, which includes top leaders in the Freedom and Change coalition, stressed the importance of coordinating international and regional efforts, unifying the negotiating platform, and accelerating a real ceasefire.

The IGAD initiative called on the warring parties to immediately sign an unconditional ceasefire agreement.

In the coming days, the Sudanese delegation will continue its visits to Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, and Chad to mobilize support to end the war and launch a political process for the return of civil rule.

- Ongoing clashes

Clashes continued over the past three months, leading 1.7 million civilians to escape Khartoum.

More than 2.4 million people have been displaced to other parts of Sudan, where roadblocks, the breakdown of the banking system, and fragile health services mean responders are ill-equipped to meet soaring demand.

Humanitarian relief organizations have repeatedly called for safe corridors to transport aid and workers and have previously warned that the rainy season, which began in June, could cause the spread of diseases.

During a meeting last Thursday, aid and health workers announced measles cases had emerged in 11 of Sudan's 18 states and 300 people were infected with cholera, eight of whom have died, according to a statement issued by the Islamic Relief.

The World Health Organization said it was difficult to confirm reports of an outbreak of cholera given that public health laboratories are out of order.

The UN estimates that 740,000 refugees have escaped to neighboring countries.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.