UN: Half of Sudan's Population Needs Urgent Humanitarian Assistance

Displaced people who fled the conflict in the Darfur region inside the Adre temporary camp in Chad (Reuters)
Displaced people who fled the conflict in the Darfur region inside the Adre temporary camp in Chad (Reuters)
TT
20

UN: Half of Sudan's Population Needs Urgent Humanitarian Assistance

Displaced people who fled the conflict in the Darfur region inside the Adre temporary camp in Chad (Reuters)
Displaced people who fled the conflict in the Darfur region inside the Adre temporary camp in Chad (Reuters)

The UN said that about half of the population of Sudan, about 20 million people, are in need of urgent humanitarian aid.

The UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS) confirmed in a press circular on its Facebook page that the number of internally and externally displaced persons due to the conflict has risen to 3.3 million.

The ongoing battles between the Sudanese Army and the Rapid Support Forces hinder the arrival of humanitarian aid to thousands of civilians stranded in conflict areas in Khartoum, Darfur, and Kordofan.

The two warring parties did not abide by the Declaration of Principles and the truce and cease-fire agreements signed in Jeddah with Saudi-US mediation, which include humanitarian arrangements for delivering aid and protecting civilians and aid workers.

Thousands of Sudanese suffer from catastrophic humanitarian conditions, and over half of the hospitals and medical facilities are out of order in Khartoum following the attacks and clashes.

On Thursday, 16 people were killed and dozens of civilians injured in a drone attack by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), according to the families of the victims, who described the incident as a "horrific massacre."

Witnesses told Asharq Al-Awsat that the massacre occurred after citizens gathered to celebrate and salute the army forces after clashes with RSF in the al-Azouzab suburb in Khartoum. They reported that a drone targeted the gathering, and the number of victims is expected to increase.

The Sudanese army stated that the RSF targeted citizens who gathered to greet the forces, killing 14 civilians and wounding 15 civilians.

- Clashes in Khartoum

Khartoum, Omdurman, and Bahri witnessed many bloody clashes, resulting in the killing and wounding of hundreds of citizens due to the exchanged bombardment and artillery shelling between the two warring parties.

On Thursday, air strikes, street battles, and artillery fire shook the major southern city of el-Obeid, witnesses told AFP.

A resident of El-Obeid told the agency that artillery shelling targeted paramilitary bases of the Rapid Support Forces. Army jets were striking paramilitaries responding with anti-aircraft fire, said another El-Obeid resident.

Since its outbreak on April 15, the war between the army commander, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and his former deputy, the RSF commander, Mohammed Hamdan Daglo, killed at least 3,000 people and displaced over 3.3 million.

Burhan appeared Tuesday in rare video footage shortly after an audio recording of Daglo was released.

In the video clip, Burhan is seen in the army headquarters as he greets the army top brass.

The headquarters of the army's general command in central Khartoum is still witnessing clashes, and Al-Burhan has stayed in this headquarters since the start of the war.

Neither side has confirmed complete control of the headquarters yet.

Daglo was last seen in a short video clip the paramilitaries shot in the early days of the conflict. Since then, he has only released audio recordings, and it is widely rumored that he was killed or even injured in the battles.

Meanwhile, relief organizations and other international groups confirmed the occurrence of atrocities in Darfur, including sexual violence.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has opened a new probe into alleged war crimes in Darfur, its chief prosecutor Karim Khan said last week.

He warned against "allowing history to repeat itself" in Darfur, where 300,000 people were killed in a conflict in 2003.



Iraq and Syria Open ‘New Chapter’ in Ties to Confront ‘Common Challenges’

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)
TT
20

Iraq and Syria Open ‘New Chapter’ in Ties to Confront ‘Common Challenges’

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)
Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani meet in Baghdad on March 14, 2025. (Iraq government media)

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani stressed on Tuesday his country’s support to Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, condemning the Israeli incursion into its land.

Sudani held telephone talks with Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa, the first between the two leaders since the latter assumed his post in January.

Sudani’s office said he underlined “Iraq’s firm stance in supporting the Syrian people’s choices and the importance that all of Syria’s segments join its political process.”

The process should “ensure peaceful coexistence and security to achieve a secure and stable future for Syria and the whole region,” he added.

He also emphasized the importance of “mutual cooperation in confronting the threat of ISIS,” as well as cooperation in economic fields.

Since the collapse of the Assad regime in Syria in December, Iraqi authorities have imposed strict measures along the border with Syria to bar the infiltration of gunmen and ISIS members.

The Syrian presidency said Sudani and Sharaa discussed bilateral relations between their countries and means to bolster them in various fields. They also underscored the “depth of relations between their people and economy.”

They stressed the importance of opening a new chapter in bilateral ties based on joint cooperation to confront regional challenges and prevent tensions in the region.

They discussed border security and cooperation in combating drug smuggling.

Sharaa said Syria is “committed to developing bilateral relations and respecting Iraq’s sovereignty.” He expressed “keenness on refraining in meddling in its internal affairs, stressing the need for cooperation to confront common challenges and consolidating political ties” between their countries.

Sudani also welcomed the formation of the new Syrian government, which was announced on Saturday.

Forces within Iraq’s ruling pro-Iran Coordination Framework were opposed to establishing relations with the new Syrian authorities, led by Sharaa, that ousted the Assad regime.

An Iraqi source said the talks between Sudani and Sharaa helped “break the ice and tensions after a series of positive measures taken by the Syrian authorities to ease Iraqi concerns.”

Baghdad has been wary of the new authorities and has been hesitant in approaching them due to security concerns and the fears of the possible re-emergence of the ISIS terrorist group in the region.

However, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani's visit to Baghdad in March where he met with Sudani helped break the ice.

During the visit, Baghdad urged the new Syrian rulers to “take into consideration Syria’s religious and ethnic diversity and to exert efforts in protecting religious freedoms and fighting terrorism,” revealed a source close to the Iraqi government.

The source told Asharq Al-Awsat that Sudani and Sharaa stressed during their call keenness on developing ties between their countries after Syria’s assurances that it would respect diversity and forge ahead with serious dialogue with various segments.

Prominent Sunni Iraqi politician Khamis al-Khanjar criticized the “voices that have been skeptical and opposed to rapprochement between Iraq and Syria.”

In a statement on Tuesday, he said Sudani and Sharaa’s telephone call should be praised, underlining his support for steps taken by the Iraqi government to be open to the Arab world and reclaim its sovereign voice.