UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts

UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts
TT

UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts

UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts

The UN Secretary-General's envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, announced that hostilities on the frontlines have not returned to pre-truce levels, despite his assertion that fighting has continued on some frontlines.

In his briefing to the Security Council on Wednesday, the UN envoy said that all parties to the conflict are willing to seek solutions.

However, intermittent fighting and exchanges of fire have continued on some frontlines, particularly in Taiz, Marib, Dhale, Hodeida, Shabwa, and Saada, said Grundberg, noting that there have been public threats to return to war, without indicating who is making those threats.

The UN envoy renewed his appeal to the two parties to release all detainees based on the "all-for-all principle."

He reviewed his recent mediation efforts with the Yemeni parties and regional countries, including his visit last week to Riyadh, where he met with the head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi, and several senior Yemeni and Saudi officials.

Grundberg also traveled to Muscat to hold meetings with Houthi representatives and Omani officials to establish "a clear agreement" on the way forward that includes restarting an inclusive Yemeni political process.

"There have been public threats to return to war. This rhetoric is not conducive to maintaining a fruitful mediation environment," warned the envoy, calling on the parties to refrain from "escalatory rhetoric and to continue to use and build on dialogue channels established under the truce."

- No improvement without economy

Grundberg described the Yemeni economic situation as "increasingly dire," noting that both sides continue to "resort to antagonistic economic measures to weaken the other side" and warned that "these tactics primarily hurt civilians."

He praised Saudi Arabia's pledge of $1.2 billion earlier this month, saying it was a "welcome step," noting that "there will be no lasting improvement in the situation until the parties come together to discuss and agree on sustainable solutions to Yemen's economic and fiscal challenges."

He recalled the siege imposed on Taiz Governorate eight years ago, stressing that there was a "dire need for road openings in Taiz and other governorates to facilitate the freedom of movement of Yemenis who have faced restrictions to accessing their basic needs and engaging in economic opportunities."

Grundberg expressed concern about reports that activities of violent extremists have recently increased in the Abyan and Shabwa governorates, explaining that "political and economic instability are fertile grounds for violent extremist groups."

"The fragility of the situation and its impact on Yemeni women and men highlight the urgent need to reach a consensus on the way forward. My Office is working to convene the parties to address some of their immediate priorities to build confidence and move toward an inclusive and sustainable political settlement."

He emphasized that the Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Yemen (OSESGY) "continues to explore options" with the parties to address the needs of all Yemenis, including regular public sector salary payments nationwide, improved service provision, affordable essential commodities, a functional banking system, and facilitating commercial activity.

The OSESGY continues engaging "with all parties on the technical elements required for a sustainable nationwide ceasefire."

The UN envoy urged the parties to "progress towards a more formal ceasefire."

He believed the comprehensive political process under the UN auspices should "provide a platform for a plurality of Yemenis from across the country to collectively discuss and determine their own future."

Grundberg reiterated that the continued unity and steadfast support of this Council and the international community, more broadly, have been a pivotal asset for his mediation efforts.

He cited the recent progress on FSO Safer, which showed how concerted international support and multilateral cooperation can bring tangible results.

"The removal of the oil from the FSO Safer to a new vessel has prevented an environmental and humanitarian catastrophe."



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.