UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts

UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts
TT

UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts

UN Envoy Says Violence Rate Drops in Yemen amid Persisting Conflicts on Certain Fronts

The UN Secretary-General's envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, announced that hostilities on the frontlines have not returned to pre-truce levels, despite his assertion that fighting has continued on some frontlines.

In his briefing to the Security Council on Wednesday, the UN envoy said that all parties to the conflict are willing to seek solutions.

However, intermittent fighting and exchanges of fire have continued on some frontlines, particularly in Taiz, Marib, Dhale, Hodeida, Shabwa, and Saada, said Grundberg, noting that there have been public threats to return to war, without indicating who is making those threats.

The UN envoy renewed his appeal to the two parties to release all detainees based on the "all-for-all principle."

He reviewed his recent mediation efforts with the Yemeni parties and regional countries, including his visit last week to Riyadh, where he met with the head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council, Rashad al-Alimi, and several senior Yemeni and Saudi officials.

Grundberg also traveled to Muscat to hold meetings with Houthi representatives and Omani officials to establish "a clear agreement" on the way forward that includes restarting an inclusive Yemeni political process.

"There have been public threats to return to war. This rhetoric is not conducive to maintaining a fruitful mediation environment," warned the envoy, calling on the parties to refrain from "escalatory rhetoric and to continue to use and build on dialogue channels established under the truce."

- No improvement without economy

Grundberg described the Yemeni economic situation as "increasingly dire," noting that both sides continue to "resort to antagonistic economic measures to weaken the other side" and warned that "these tactics primarily hurt civilians."

He praised Saudi Arabia's pledge of $1.2 billion earlier this month, saying it was a "welcome step," noting that "there will be no lasting improvement in the situation until the parties come together to discuss and agree on sustainable solutions to Yemen's economic and fiscal challenges."

He recalled the siege imposed on Taiz Governorate eight years ago, stressing that there was a "dire need for road openings in Taiz and other governorates to facilitate the freedom of movement of Yemenis who have faced restrictions to accessing their basic needs and engaging in economic opportunities."

Grundberg expressed concern about reports that activities of violent extremists have recently increased in the Abyan and Shabwa governorates, explaining that "political and economic instability are fertile grounds for violent extremist groups."

"The fragility of the situation and its impact on Yemeni women and men highlight the urgent need to reach a consensus on the way forward. My Office is working to convene the parties to address some of their immediate priorities to build confidence and move toward an inclusive and sustainable political settlement."

He emphasized that the Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Yemen (OSESGY) "continues to explore options" with the parties to address the needs of all Yemenis, including regular public sector salary payments nationwide, improved service provision, affordable essential commodities, a functional banking system, and facilitating commercial activity.

The OSESGY continues engaging "with all parties on the technical elements required for a sustainable nationwide ceasefire."

The UN envoy urged the parties to "progress towards a more formal ceasefire."

He believed the comprehensive political process under the UN auspices should "provide a platform for a plurality of Yemenis from across the country to collectively discuss and determine their own future."

Grundberg reiterated that the continued unity and steadfast support of this Council and the international community, more broadly, have been a pivotal asset for his mediation efforts.

He cited the recent progress on FSO Safer, which showed how concerted international support and multilateral cooperation can bring tangible results.

"The removal of the oil from the FSO Safer to a new vessel has prevented an environmental and humanitarian catastrophe."



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.