Tensions Mount Over Potential War Expansion in Sudan's Eastern Region

Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)
Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)
TT

Tensions Mount Over Potential War Expansion in Sudan's Eastern Region

Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)
Army chief Abdulfattah al-Burhan during a tour at the Flamingo marine base in Port Sudan (File photo: AFP)

Concerns are growing about the possibility of the ongoing conflict in Sudan spreading to new areas, including East Sudan, which had thus far remained unaffected by the clashes occurring in Khartoum and Darfur.

On Monday night, clashes erupted between the national army and the armed factions of local tribes in Port Sudan, raising concerns about a resurgence of violence. Since the outbreak of the war in April, the coastal city has served as an unofficial temporary capital of the country.

The leader of the alliance of parties and movements of the eastern tribes, Sheiba Drarar, claimed that the army unexpectedly fired on their forces outside the headquarters of the National Beja Party, and the troops responded before the situation stabilized.

Drarar, a prominent figure of the Beja tribe, stressed in a press statement that his forces did not initiate the aggression against the army.

He alleged that about 50 military vehicles surrounded their headquarters and interfered with inspecting some trucks loaded with foodstuff, lacking proper documentation.

- Army issues no comment

The army and the Red Sea state government have not commented on the clashes.

It is the first armed conflict in the coastal city since the war broke out between the army and the Rapid Support Forces in April.

An eyewitness in Port Sudan said the area witnessed intense crossfire in the city center between the army and a militia led by Drarar.

Another resident, who preferred to remain anonymous, reported that soldiers spread across the area after dismantling militia checkpoints, though others claimed a return to calm shortly after.

Port Sudan hosts the only currently operational airport in Sudan and serves as a haven for government and UN officials fleeing the battles in Khartoum.

The city had been unaffected by violence until Monday’s clashes.

In the past three weeks, Port Sudan has been a base for Army General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who remained settled in the General Command of the Army in Khartoum until late August, besieged by Rapid Support Forces fighters.

Burhan made six foreign trips departing from Port Sudan, which analysts believe were diplomatic efforts to support his position in case they launched negotiations to end the conflict.

Videos circulated on social media showed clashes with live ammunition in one of the populated districts of Port Sudan.

According to eyewitnesses, the "limited skirmish" caused panic among the citizens.

Hassan Abdullah, a resident of Port Sudan, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the brief clash occurred in the Deem Arab district.

The three states of Eastern Sudan, Red Sea, Kassala, and al-Qadarif, have historically faced tensions due to neglect from central governments.

Tribal and ethnic divisions have resulted in armed conflicts within the region, leaving hundreds of victims.

Earlier, the Rapid Support Forces commander, Mohammad Hamdan Dagalo, warned that his forces could reach any part of Sudan, including the eastern region, where remnants of the ousted regime are reportedly sheltered.

-Battles Intensify in the Capital

Clashes escalated in Khartoum between the army and the Rapid Support Forces, spanning many areas in the three cities: Khartoum, Bahri, and Omdurman.

Eyewitnesses reported that Sudanese military drones targeted Rapid Support Forces' positions in several districts in the East Nile area of the capital, Khartoum.

In response, the Rapid Support Forces launched artillery shells at the signal corps in Bahri and targeted locations in central Khartoum.

Meanwhile, the United Nations fears that Sudan could enter a comprehensive civil war and face the risk of division.

Two UN-affiliated agencies reported on Tuesday that more than 1,200 children have died of suspected measles and malnutrition in Sudan refugee camps, while many thousands more, including newborns, are at risk of death before year-end.

The agencies added that more than five months into the conflict between Sudan's army and the Rapid Support Forces, the country's healthcare sector is on its knees due to direct attacks from the warring parties and shortages of staff and medicines.

Chief of Public Health at the UNHCR Allen Maina told a UN briefing in Geneva that since May, over 1,200 children from Ethiopia and South Sudan under five had died in nine camps in White Nile state, home to one of Sudan's larger refugee populations.

"Unfortunately, we fear numbers will continue rising because of strained resources," he added, adding that partners struggled to vaccinate refugees, stoking the risk of epidemics.

The UN Children's Agency (UNICEF) said it worried that "many thousands of newborns" from among the 333,000 babies known to be due before the end of the year would die.

UNICEF spokesperson James Elder told the same briefing that the kids and their mothers need skilled delivery care.

However, in a country where millions are either trapped in war zones or displaced and where there are grave shortages of medical supplies, such care is becoming less likely by the day.

Every month, some 55,000 children require treatment for the worst form of malnutrition in Sudan, but fewer than one in 50 nutrition centers are functional in the capital, Khartoum, and one in ten in West Darfur, he said.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.