Conflicting Reports About Explosions Targeting Iranian Militias West Damascus

Security men inspect the site of the Israeli attack that targeted Iranian offices in Damascus last February (AP)
Security men inspect the site of the Israeli attack that targeted Iranian offices in Damascus last February (AP)
TT

Conflicting Reports About Explosions Targeting Iranian Militias West Damascus

Security men inspect the site of the Israeli attack that targeted Iranian offices in Damascus last February (AP)
Security men inspect the site of the Israeli attack that targeted Iranian offices in Damascus last February (AP)

Violent explosions were heard Sunday in al-Assad village, west of Damascus, where Iranian militia headquarters are said to be located, according to conflicting reports.

The nature of the explosions remains unclear, and some reports suggest that they targeted a building affiliated with the Fourth Division and the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), resulting in two non-Syrian casualties.

Other reports imply an Israeli airstrike aimed at a structure associated with the Lebanese Hezbollah.

Various Syrian online platforms and activists have reported hearing explosions in the area of the al-Assad village under the influence of the Fourth Division led by Maher al-Assad, President Bashar’s brother.

The area hosts headquarters, barracks, and arms depots for the division, Iranian militias, and Hezbollah.

Until this report, no official military statement has been released from Damascus regarding the explosions.

Local sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that at least three explosions were heard around midnight on Saturday into Sunday. However, it is speculated that these explosions might not have resulted from Israeli missile attacks.

They indicated that typically, missile strikes are much louder than what was heard, and no sounds of aerial defenses countering Israeli missiles were reported, noting a significant presence of Iranian militia members and Hezbollah in the area.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) confirmed hearing three explosions shortly after midnight, around 1:20 AM, in a building belonging to the Fourth Division and IRGC beside al-Hamzah Mosque in al-Assad villages.

The initial information indicates that the explosions resulted in the death of two persons of unknown nationality in the building and significant material damage.

Later, SOHR Directory Rami Abdul Rahman said that the targeted building could be a storehouse or a transit point towards the Syrian-Lebanese border used for transporting precision weapons.

The building is located approximately nine kilometers from the Syrian-Lebanese border between al-Assad villages and Dimas, affiliated with Hezbollah and the Quds Force of the IRGC.

Rahman said in a televised interview that the three explosions in the building led to two casualties of non-Syrian nationality, pointing out there seems to be a media blackout by the regime.

He noted that the targeting or explosions might result from an Israeli intelligence operation, with no anti-aircraft missiles launched by the regime’s defenses in response.

The “Damascus Sound” news website reported that Israeli warplanes attacked a building affiliated with Hezbollah near the al-Assad villages.

The website cites eyewitnesses saying that four explosions were heard in the vicinity, followed by rising smoke near the Hamzah Mosque.

The website quoted “special” sources saying the targeted building was reportedly used for logistical and security coordination to transport weapons between Syria and Lebanon.

The sources indicated that the airstrike destroyed the building, housing a shipment of Iranian weapons being prepared for transport into Lebanon.

The website mentioned it could not verify the exact extent of losses or whether there were casualties or injuries during the attack. It noted that no official statements had been issued, and no anti-aircraft defense systems were activated in the area.

Last August, blasts were heard in West Damascus, and reports were also conflicting regarding the nature of the explosions.

Back then, official media outlets reported on the sounds of explosions.

State-owned Sana stated that the “cause was not clear” and that an investigation was underway regarding the nature of these explosions. As customary, no official military statement was released regarding the August explosions.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.