Interim Head of Tunisia’s Ennahda Party on Trial on Charges of Terrorism

 Ennahda’s leader, Rached Ghannouchi (AFP)
Ennahda’s leader, Rached Ghannouchi (AFP)
TT
20

Interim Head of Tunisia’s Ennahda Party on Trial on Charges of Terrorism

 Ennahda’s leader, Rached Ghannouchi (AFP)
Ennahda’s leader, Rached Ghannouchi (AFP)

The interim head of Tunisia’s Ennahda party, Mondher Ounissi, appeared on Tuesday before a counter-terrorism court after his arrest over "suspicious political alliances".

Ounissi was arrested last month following the publication of audio recordings in which he was accused of concluding suspicious political alliances with a Tunisian businessman and of receiving illegal funds.

Ennahda appointed Ounissi as its acting leader on 26 April following the arrest of Ennahda’s leader, Rached Ghannouchi, earlier this year.

Several party officials close to Ghannouchi are accused of money laundering in relation to foreign funding for Ennahda-linked associations and charities and using the money against the ruling authorities.

The Tunisian Judiciary has labeled the arrested individuals as “terrorists” and claimed they were involved in a plot against the security of the state.

In previous comments, Ounissi said in a video on his Facebook page that the recordings were fabricated. He claimed authorities were looking to paralyze Ennahdha, which planned to hold its 11th congress next October.

In the recordings attributed to Ounissi, the Ennahda interim leader accused some officials of his party of seeking to control Ennahda and receiving illegal funds, thus allowing the Public Prosecution Office to open a larger investigation into the recordings.

On Tuesday, Ennahda Party renewed its demand for the release of imprisoned politicians, describing their cases as a “scandal.”

“We urge the closure of these scandalous files,” the party said in a statement, adding that authorities should stop targeting their opponents and speed up the release of political prisoners, mainly Ghannouchi, and Johar bin Mubarak, who entered a hunger strike two weeks ago.

Bin Mubarak entered a hunger strike on Sept. 25-26, and was later followed by Ghannouchi.

His sister, Dalila Mossadegh, confirmed that her brother is suffering from health problems inside the prison. She said his health has deteriorated lately, which forced the prison authorities to transfer him to the Habib Thamer Hospital in the capital.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.