Nasrallah Says Al-Aqsa Flood Operation Was ‘100 Percent’ Palestinian

A supporter of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group waves a Palestinian flag, as he waits the speech of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, during a rally to commemorate Hezbollah fighters who were killed in South Lebanon last few weeks while fighting against the Israeli forces, in Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Nov. 3, 2023. (AP)
A supporter of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group waves a Palestinian flag, as he waits the speech of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, during a rally to commemorate Hezbollah fighters who were killed in South Lebanon last few weeks while fighting against the Israeli forces, in Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Nov. 3, 2023. (AP)
TT

Nasrallah Says Al-Aqsa Flood Operation Was ‘100 Percent’ Palestinian

A supporter of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group waves a Palestinian flag, as he waits the speech of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, during a rally to commemorate Hezbollah fighters who were killed in South Lebanon last few weeks while fighting against the Israeli forces, in Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Nov. 3, 2023. (AP)
A supporter of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group waves a Palestinian flag, as he waits the speech of Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, during a rally to commemorate Hezbollah fighters who were killed in South Lebanon last few weeks while fighting against the Israeli forces, in Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Nov. 3, 2023. (AP)

The leader of Lebanon's Hezbollah warned the United States on Friday that preventing a regional conflict depended on stopping the Israeli attack on Gaza, and said there was a possibility of fighting on the Lebanese front turning into a full-fledged war.

Hassan Nasrallah, in his first speech since the Israel-Hamas war erupted on Oct. 7, also threatened Israel's main ally the United States, hinting his Iran-backed group was ready to confront US warships in the Mediterranean.

"You, the Americans, can stop the aggression against Gaza because it is your aggression. Whoever wants to prevent a regional war, and I am talking to the Americans, must quickly halt the aggression on Gaza," Nasrallah said.

He added the al-Aqsa Flood operation launched by Hamas on October 7 was a purely Palestinian decision. "The whole operation was 100 percent Palestinian. Its absolute secrecy ensured its astounding victory," he stated.

Hezbollah has been exchanging fire with Israeli forces at the Lebanese-Israeli frontier since Oct. 8, with more than 55 of its fighters killed. But clashes have been largely contained to the border, and Hezbollah has so far used a fraction of the arsenal with which Nasrallah has long threatened Israel.

The group, founded by Iran's Revolutionary Guards in 1982, is the spearhead of a Tehran-backed alliance hostile to Israel and the United States.

Other Iran-aligned groups have entered the fray since Oct. 7, with Tehran-backed Shiite groups firing on US forces in Iraq and Syria, and Yemen's Houthis launching drones at Israel.

Nasrallah saluted the Iraqi and Yemeni efforts.

"You, the Americans, know very well that if war breaks out in the region, your fleets will be of no use," he said. "The one who will pay the price will be ... your interests, your soldiers and your fleets," he said.

The White House said Hezbollah must not exploit the Hamas-Israel conflict, and the United States did not want to see the conflict expand into Lebanon.

The Pentagon has deployed two aircraft carriers to the eastern Mediterranean since the war erupted, saying these are meant as a deterrent to ensure conflict does not expand.

Nasrallah said Hezbollah was not afraid of the warships.

"We have prepared well for your fleets, with which you are threatening us," said Nasrallah, whose group's arsenal includes anti-ship missiles.

He recalled attacks on US interests in Lebanon in the early 1980s - a reference to 1983 suicide bombings that destroyed the US Marine headquarters in Beirut, killing 241 servicemen, and a suicide attack on the US embassy. The United States holds Hezbollah responsible for the attacks.

Those "who defeated you in Lebanon ... are still alive", he said.

'This won’t be all'

Israel laid devastating siege to Hamas-ruled Gaza following the Oct. 7 cross-border assault by the group's militants that Israel says killed around 1,400 people, with about 240 spirited as hostages back to the Palestinian enclave.

Gaza health authorities say at least 9,227 people - many of them women and children - have been killed since Israel started its blitz on the small coastal enclave of 2.3 million people.

Nasrallah celebrated the Hamas attack, saying it had ushered in a "new historic phase".

The attack had come as a surprise to him and Hamas' other allies, and the decision was "100%" Palestinian, he said.

The possibility of the Lebanon front sliding into a "full-fledged war" was real, he said. "It can happen, and the enemy must take every account of it," Nasrallah said.

Israel has said it has no interest in a conflict on its northern frontier.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned Hezbollah against opening a second war front with Israel, saying that doing so would bring Israeli counterstrikes of "unimaginable" magnitude that would wreak devastation upon Lebanon.

"In regard to the north, I tell our enemies once again, do not test us. You will pay dearly for any such mistake," Netanyahu said in a televised statement on Friday.

Nasrallah said Hezbollah had been escalating day by day, forcing Israel to keep forces near its northern frontier instead of the Gaza Strip and the occupied West Bank to the southwest.

"What is happening on the border may seem modest, but if we look at what is happening on the border objectively, we will find it... very important," he said. 



Residents of Syria's Quneitra are Frustrated by Lack of Action to Halt Israeli Advance

Israeli military vehicles in the Syrian city of Quneitra, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, 13 December 2024. EPA/ATEF SAFADI
Israeli military vehicles in the Syrian city of Quneitra, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, 13 December 2024. EPA/ATEF SAFADI
TT

Residents of Syria's Quneitra are Frustrated by Lack of Action to Halt Israeli Advance

Israeli military vehicles in the Syrian city of Quneitra, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, 13 December 2024. EPA/ATEF SAFADI
Israeli military vehicles in the Syrian city of Quneitra, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights, 13 December 2024. EPA/ATEF SAFADI

A main road in the provincial capital of Quneitra in southern Syria was blocked with mounds of dirt, fallen palm trees and a metal pole that appeared to have once been a traffic light. On the other side of the barriers, an Israeli tank could be seen maneuvering in the middle of the street.
Israeli forces entered the area — which lies in a UN-patrolled buffer zone in the Golan Heights that was established by a 1974 ceasefire agreement between Syria and Israel — soon after the fall of President Bashar Assad last month in the country's 13-year civil war.
The Israeli military has also made incursions into Syrian territory outside of the buffer zone, sparking protests by local residents. They said the Israeli forces had demolished homes and prevented farmers from going to their fields in some areas. On at least two occasions, Israeli troops reportedly opened fire on protesters who approached them.
Residents of Quneitra, a seemingly serene bucolic expanse of small villages and olive groves, said they are frustrated, both by the Israeli advances and by the lack of action from Syria’s new authorities and the international community.
Rinata Fastas said that Israeli forces had raided the local government buildings but had not so far entered residential neighborhoods. Her house lies just inside of the newly blocked-off area in the provincial capital formerly called Baath City, after Assad's former ruling party, and now renamed Salam City.
She said she is afraid Israeli troops may advance farther or try to permanently occupy the area they have already taken. Israel still controls the Golan Heights that it captured from Syria during the 1967 Mideast war and later annexed. The international community, with the exception of the US, regards it as occupied.
Fastas said she understands that Syria, which is now trying to build its national institutions and army from scratch, is no position to militarily confront Israel.
“But why is no one in the new Syrian state coming out and talking about the violations that are happening in Quneitra province and against the rights of its people?” she asked.
The United Nations has accused Israel of violating the 1974 ceasefire agreement by entering the buffer zone.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said troops will stay on "until another arrangement is found that will ensure Israel’s security.” He was speaking from the snowy peak of Mount Hermon, Syria’s tallest mountain known as Jabal al Sheikh in Arabic, which has now been captured by Israeli forces.
An Israeli official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment on the matter, said the military will remain in the area it has taken until it is satisfied that the new Syrian authorities do not pose a danger to Israel.
The new Syrian government has lodged a complaint with the UN Security Council about Israeli airstrikes and advances into Syrian territory.
The country’s new de facto leader, Ahmad al-Sharaa, head of the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, has also publicly said Syria is not seeking a military conflict with Israel and will not pose a threat to its neighbors or to the West.
In the meantime, residents of Quneitra have largely been left to fend for themselves.
In the village of Rafid, inside the buffer zone, locals said the Israeli military had demolished two civilian houses and a grove of trees as well as a former Syrian army outpost.
Mayor Omar Mahmoud Ismail said when the Israeli forces entered the village, an Israeli officer greeted him and told him, “I am your friend.”
“I told him, ‘You are not my friend, and if you were, you wouldn’t enter like this,’" Ismail said.
Locals who organized a protest were met with Israeli fire
In Dawaya, a village outside the buffer zone, 18-year-old Abdelrahman Khaled al-Aqqa was lying on a mattress in his family home Sunday, still recovering after being shot in both legs. Al-Aqqa said he joined about 100 people from the area on Dec. 25 in protest against the Israeli incursion, chanting “Syria is free, Israel get out!”
“We didn’t have any weapons, we were just there in the clothes we were wearing,” he said. “But when we got close to them, they started shooting at us.”
Six protesters were wounded, according to residents and media reports. Another man was injured on Dec. 20 in a similar incident in the village of Maariyah. The Israeli army said at the time that it had fired because the man was quickly approaching and ignored calls to stop.
The Israeli military did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the Dec. 25 incident.
Adel Subhi al-Ali, a local Sunni religious official, sat with his 21-year-old son, Moutasem, who was recovering after being shot in the stomach in the Dec. 25 protest. He was driven first to a local hospital that did not have the capacity to treat him, and then to Damascus where he underwent surgery.
When he saw the Israeli tanks moving in, “We felt that an occupation is occupying our land. So we had to defend it, even though we didn’t have weapons, ... It is impossible for them to settle here,” al-Ali said.
Since the day of the protest, the Israeli army has not returned to the area, he said.
Al-Ali called for the international community to “pressure Israel to return to what was agreed upon with the former regime,” referring to the 1974 ceasefire agreement, and to return the Golan Heights to Syria.
But he acknowledged that Syria has little leverage.
“We are starting from zero, we need to build a state,” al-Ali said, echoing Syria's new leaders. “We are not ready as a country now to open wars with another country."