Iran, Russia Call for Immediate Ceasefire in Gaza

Smoke billows following an Israeli air strike on Gaza City, 09 October 2023. (EPA)
Smoke billows following an Israeli air strike on Gaza City, 09 October 2023. (EPA)
TT
20

Iran, Russia Call for Immediate Ceasefire in Gaza

Smoke billows following an Israeli air strike on Gaza City, 09 October 2023. (EPA)
Smoke billows following an Israeli air strike on Gaza City, 09 October 2023. (EPA)

Iran and Russia on Friday called for an immediate ceasefire in the ongoing Israeli-Hamas war in Gaza.

The Russian foreign ministry said that Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Iranian counterpart, Hossein Amir Abdollahian, discussed the current situation pertaining to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict during a telephone call.

“The two sides stressed the need for an immediate ceasefire and urgent humanitarian aid to the civilian population,” the Ministry statement said.

Meanwhile, a veteran Thai politician said on Friday that he held direct talks with the Palestinian group Hamas seeking the safe release of Thai hostages it is holding, amid a flurry of diplomatic activity by Thailand’s government.

Areepen Uttarasin, a veteran Thai politician and former education minister, said the back-channel talks that lasted for about two hours were conducted in person in the Iranian capital Tehran, on Oct. 26, and that Hamas officials said Thai hostages were safe and well-looked after.

“I told them that I am here not to negotiate but simply to ask for their release,” said Areepen, who declined to name the Hamas officials he met with.

Thailand's Foreign Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara Pranpree said on Thursday that his country was in touch with Iran and other regional governments that can contact Hamas, including Qatar and Egypt.

Parnpree, who was in the Middle East earlier this week, said Iran was close to Hamas and has promised to help with negotiations.

At least 23 Thai nationals were among more than 240 people taken hostage when Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7.

Of the more than 1,400 people Israel says were killed in the rampage, at least 32 were Thai.

 

 



US Campaign Against Houthis Expected to Expand

A US fighter jet takes off from the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman to strike Houthis (AP)
A US fighter jet takes off from the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman to strike Houthis (AP)
TT
20

US Campaign Against Houthis Expected to Expand

A US fighter jet takes off from the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman to strike Houthis (AP)
A US fighter jet takes off from the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman to strike Houthis (AP)

The US campaign against the Houthis, launched by President Donald Trump, entered its third week with new airstrikes targeting the group’s strongholds.

Late Tuesday into Wednesday, the strikes hit Houthi positions in Saada province in the north, Hajjah province, and extended to the coastal governorate of Hodeidah along the Red Sea.

This comes amid growing anticipation of expanded operations, following the deployment of a second US aircraft carrier to the region.

While the Houthis claimed to have targeted US forces in the northern Red Sea with drones and missiles, a Yemeni minister revealed widespread panic among the group's leaders.

He noted that they had begun selling off properties and smuggling their families out via Sana’a airport.

Trump ordered the campaign against the Houthis on March 15, aiming to force the group to halt threats to maritime security.

He vowed to use “deadly force” and “eliminate them entirely” after the Houthis escalated attacks following the collapse of the second phase of the Gaza truce between Israel and Hamas.

Houthi media reported that airstrikes targeted the al-Mansuriyah district in Hodeidah, claiming they hit a water project and killed four civilians. The group also acknowledged that eastern Saada city was struck by five air raids.

The US campaign is expected to expand in the coming days after Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell announced the deployment of the aircraft carrier Carl Vinson to the Middle East.

It will join the Harry S. Truman, which is currently leading strikes against the Houthis.

With the group remaining tight-lipped about its military losses, including equipment and senior figures, the full impact of the US offensive on its capabilities remains unclear.

Meanwhile, the Houthis’ defense minister claimed they were prepared for a “long-term confrontation.”

The Houthis joined the regional escalation following the Hamas-led attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, launching around 200 missiles and drones toward Israel.

However, the attacks had little military impact, with the only reported fatality occurring in Tel Aviv in June.