American Ambassador of Iraqi Origins, Would She Reinforce Ties with Egypt?

Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)
Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)
TT

American Ambassador of Iraqi Origins, Would She Reinforce Ties with Egypt?

Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)
Herro Mustafa Garg during her swearing-in to assume her new position as US Ambassador to Cairo. (US Embassy in Egypt)

The White House announced Wednesday the nomination of a new ambassador to Egypt in which Herro Mustafa Garg was sworn in to assume her new position.

She is the first refugee from Iraqi Kurdistan to be assigned to this post.

"Ambassador Herro Mustafa Garg was sworn in yesterday as the new US Ambassador to Egypt. The Ambassador will lead the US Embassy in Cairo during a significant moment in the strategic bilateral US-EG relationship and advance our joint efforts for stability, security, and prosperity in the region," said the US Embassy Cairo in a post on X.

Her appointment comes at a time when the crisis in the Gaza Strip casts its shadow on the diverging points of view between Egypt and the US, in addition to the many turning points faced by the relations between the two countries against the background of repeated cuts in the American aid allocated to Egypt.

Garg served as the US Ambassador to the Republic of Bulgaria from October 2019 to March 2023, according to the White House website.

Previously, she was the Deputy Chief of Mission at the US Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal, and Political Minister Counselor at the US Embassy in New Delhi, India.

She also served as Director for Iran, Israeli-Palestinian Affairs, and Jordan at the National Security Council, as well as National Security Council Director for Iraq and Afghanistan, the White House added.

Garg also served overseas as lead US Civilian Coordinator in Mosul, Iraq, as Consular Officer in Beirut, Lebanon, and as Political Officer in Athens, Greece.

Her other Washington assignments include Deputy Director of the Afghanistan Office and Advisor on the Middle East in the Office of the Under Secretary for Political Affairs.

Herro was born in 1973 in Erbil, a Kurdistan Region of Iraq. She spent two years in a refugee camp. Her family requested political asylum in the US in 1976.

In 2021 she was honored by the Carnegie Corporation as one of the Great Immigrants of America.

Garg speaks English, Kurdish, Arabic, Farsi, Greek, Hindi, and Portuguese. She has a Bachelor’s from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service and a Master’s from Princeton University.

Ambassador Hussein Haridy, former Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs of Egypt, stressed the significance of the thorough cultural and knowledge background of the ambassador.

Yet, he told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that the ambassador implements the foreign policy of his country, and the cultural background or personal characteristics of the diplomat do not affect this.

He further highlighted the “exceptional circumstances” during which the new ambassador was appointed.

Haridy also pointed to the huge responsibility she bears on her shoulders to explain the policy of her country, not only in the current crisis in the Gaza Strip but also in the arrangements for the next phase.

Last month, the chairman of the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Democratic US Senator Ben Cardin, called for blocking military aid to Egypt against the background of criticism of the country’s human rights record and freedoms.

Egypt has been receiving $1.3 billion annual military aid since the signing of the first US-brokered peace agreement between an Arab state and Israel, in 1979.

The US Administration hinges approximately $300 million of this aid to the extent of Cairo’s compliance with commitments related to its legal record, according to the US Department of State.

In September, the Biden Administration decided to waive the freezing of $235 million in aid due to human rights restrictions.

This is not the first time that the US Administration has made such decisions, as Washington withheld $130 million last year and allowed the release of $75 million only from military aid, while Cairo received another $95 million under a legal exception related to anti-terrorism and security funding.

Egypt stresses its respect for human rights, and the Egyptian authorities deny the US reports on the presence of political prisoners.

Two years ago, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi launched Egypt’s National Strategy for Human Rights which will address civilian, political, economic, social, and cultural rights.

The President also reconstituted the "Presidential Amnesty Committee" last April and called for a national dialogue among the various political factions, including the opposition.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.