Jordan to Host New Round of Yemeni Prisoners' Talks

Yemeni government meeting in the temporary capital, Aden (Saba News)
Yemeni government meeting in the temporary capital, Aden (Saba News)
TT

Jordan to Host New Round of Yemeni Prisoners' Talks

Yemeni government meeting in the temporary capital, Aden (Saba News)
Yemeni government meeting in the temporary capital, Aden (Saba News)

Jordan will host on Sunday q new round of Yemeni negotiations between the government and the Houthis regarding prisoners and detainees, according to official Yemeni sources.

The talks are taking place under the auspice of the Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Yemen (OSESGY) Hans Grundberg.

The military media of the Joint Forces on the western coast of Yemen quoted a member of the government's negotiating team, Abdullah Abu Houria, who verified that a new round of UN-sponsored prisoner negotiations will take place on Nov. 26 based on the all-for-all principle.

The release of political figure Mohammed Qahtan will be the first topic addressed by the government team.

Abu Houria hoped that the negotiations would succeed in releasing all prisoners, detainees, and forcibly disappeared persons and ending the suffering of all families, most of whom do not know their fate.

Previous negotiating rounds, sponsored by the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), succeeded in releasing two batches of prisoners and detainees, including 1,000 in the first batch and 900 in the second.

The Yemeni government said it seeks to release all detainees according to the "all for all" rule, accusing the Houthis of trying to fail the discussions by being selective or demanding the names of captives who are not detained by the government forces.

During the previous two release operations, the Houthi group released three of the four individuals included in UN Security Council Resolution 2216, including the brother of the former president Nasser Mansour, former Defense Minister Mahmoud al-Subaihi, and military commander Faisal Rajab.

The group still refuses to release Qahtan or provide information about his health condition. Qahtan's family is not allowed to communicate with him.

Meanwhile, the government warned of the Houthi threat in the Red Sea and their threat to international shipping and commercial shipping lines.

Last week, the Houthis seized the Galaxy Leader cargo ship in the southern Red Sea, saying it was Israeli-owned.

The Yemeni government held a meeting in Aden to address the economic, financial, and monetary conditions and discuss the governor's report of the central bank.

The meeting stressed the importance of coordination with the Central Bank in implementing precautionary financial and monetary policies and rearranging priorities to help overcome difficult and exceptional circumstances, especially with the cessation of oil exports.

They discussed reforms, coordination between financial and monetary administrations, aspects of integration to control the exchange rates, and enhancing revenues.

According to official media, the government renewed its absolute rejection of the unprecedented Houthi terrorist act that targeted the safety and freedom of international navigation, saying it represents a terrorist attack that disregards the Palestinian-Arab cause, the Yemeni national interest, or international law.

The government warned that the Houthi action, which it described as "terrorist on behalf of the Iranian regime," would deepen the humanitarian crisis for the Yemeni people and increase the economic burdens.

The officials stressed that the best way to show solidarity and support the Palestinian cause is to unite the Arab and Islamic ranks in confronting the occupying Israeli government and take the necessary steps to stop its crimes until establishing an independent, fully sovereign Palestinian state.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.