Hope Fades for Meeting between Sudan’s Burhan, Hemedti

Sudan’s army commander Abdul Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohamed Hamdan “Hemedti” Daglo.
Sudan’s army commander Abdul Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohamed Hamdan “Hemedti” Daglo.
TT

Hope Fades for Meeting between Sudan’s Burhan, Hemedti

Sudan’s army commander Abdul Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohamed Hamdan “Hemedti” Daglo.
Sudan’s army commander Abdul Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohamed Hamdan “Hemedti” Daglo.

A meeting between Sudan’s army commander Abdul Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohamed Hamdan “Hemedti” Daglo appears less and less likely in wake of the latest developments in the country.

The Sudanese people have pinned hopes that a direct meeting between them would help end the conflict between the military and RSF that erupted in mid-April.

The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) was expected to organize a meeting between the two leaders in December, but plans collapsed over “technical reasons”. Another meeting was set for early January, but the plans also fell through. Hopes faded after IGAD didn’t set a date for a new meeting.

Moreover, Burhan’s latest statements in which he set conditions for meeting his rival have only complicated efforts.

Speaking from the Gebeit military zone, Burhan declared that he would not sign any agreement or reconciliation with the RSF before “reclaiming Sudan” from the paramilitary force.

Burhan appears to be forging ahead with the war, especially after severely criticizing the meeting that was held last week between Hemedti and head of the leadership body of the Coordination of Civilian Democratic Forces (Taqadum), former Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok in Addis Ababa.

Hemedti and Hamdok signed the “Addis Ababa Declaration” aimed at ending the war. The declaration agreed to a “unconditional” meeting between Hemedti and Burhan, but the RSF leader demanded that IGAD leaders be present at the talks.

The Sudanese foreign ministry also complicated efforts to hold a meeting when it demanded that the RSF fulfill the commitments it agreed to in the Jeddah Humanitarian Declaration, including withdrawing its forces from civilian regions.

A Sudanese military expert told Asharq Al-Awsat that the meeting between Hamdok and Hemedti raised tensions over a meeting between Bruhan and Hemedti.

Perhaps Burhan, as leader of the army, felt slighted that Hemedti met Hamdok first, he added on condition of anonymity.

Moreover, he said the army is coming under great pressure from its Islamist allies and supporters of the regime of ousted President Omar al-Bashir who oppose a meeting between Hemedti and Burhan. They would rather see the army continue the fight on the ground and achieve victory in the war.

Burhan may be waiting to achieve a military victory that would strengthen his negotiations position after it became compromised when the RSF swept through Wad Madani city, remarked the expert.



Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas.

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.

It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated".

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah.

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people.

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad.


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.