Syria Extends Humanitarian Aid Delivery Via Bab al-Hawa Crossing

Bab al-Hawa crossing, used to deliver aid through Türkiye since 2014 (archive )
Bab al-Hawa crossing, used to deliver aid through Türkiye since 2014 (archive )
TT

Syria Extends Humanitarian Aid Delivery Via Bab al-Hawa Crossing

Bab al-Hawa crossing, used to deliver aid through Türkiye since 2014 (archive )
Bab al-Hawa crossing, used to deliver aid through Türkiye since 2014 (archive )

The Syrian government extended its approval for humanitarian aid to be delivered to opposition-held parts of the country's northwest through the Bab al-Hawa border crossing with Türkiye for another six months.
The UN is also looking, with the Syrian regime, at the possibility of extending this indefinitely this time, without a three- or six-month limit.
Türkiye announced its commitment to extending aid delivery through Bab al-Hawa crossing, allowing the needs of Syrians displaced to Idlib and northwestern regions to be met.
Türkiye wants to be allowed to plan long-term humanitarian and development projects in northern Syria to absorb more than one million Syrian refugees out of the approximately 3.3 million it hosts within the framework of a project for the voluntary return of refugees.
- Demands for a permanent mechanism
The UN has been using the Bab al-Hawa crossing between Syria and Türkiye to deliver aid to millions of people in northwestern Syria since 2014 with a mandate from the Security Council.
In July last year, the entry of aid through the crossing stopped after a 15-member Security Council committee failed to extend the agreement due to Russia's opposition.
Later, the Syrian government allowed the UN to continue using the crossing for six months.
Syria's mission to the United Nations said Damascus would "extend its permission granted to the United Nations (UN) to use Bab al-Hawa crossing to deliver humanitarian assistance to the Northwest of Syria for an additional six months until July. 13, 2024".
According to a spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), Eri Kaneko, talks were continuing with Damascus on the cross-border aid as it remained a "lifeline" to some 2.5 million people in the northwest, the last major Syrian rebel bastion as the war has abated.
She said 5,000 aid trucks had crossed the region in 2023, with 4,000 entering via Bab al-Hawa.
- Additional portals
After an earthquake killed more than 50,000 people in Türkiye and Syria in February 2023, Syria granted another permission for aid deliveries from the Bab al-Salam and al-Raee crossings, but that will also expire on Feb. 13.
The spokesman for the UN Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, said that about 170 humanitarian aid missions had been completed to northwestern Syria via Türkiye between the Feb. 6 earthquakes and last August.
Dujarric noted providing technical materials to the children's hospital and various health facilities in northern Syria.
He explained other plans to bring new aid into Syria through the Bab al-Salam crossing in the coming days.
The official stated that employees of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) visited projects to support shelter and education funded by the Humanitarian Fund in al-Bab City.
He asserted the continuation of the humanitarian response in northwestern Syria, where UN agencies had previously stored humanitarian supplies before the expiration of the cross-border aid permit.
Türkiye has been seeking renewals to both authorizations as interest levels and funding priorities have hampered the aid response.
Millions of people in the rebel-held northwest rely on aid deliveries through Türkiye to access food, medicine, and other basic needs.
After nearly 13 years of conflict, many across the country are living in their most dire economic conditions yet, with nine out of 10 Syrians living under the poverty line.
Turkish mission to the UN said it was working to remind donor countries that stopping aid may have severe consequences for the region and Europe.
It also urges the international community to reconsider decisions to stop funding projects in northwestern Syria.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.