Tebboune, Burhan Warn Against ‘Foreign Interferences’ in Sudan

Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune and Sudan's Sovereign Council General Abdulfattah al-Burhan in Algeria (Algerian Presidency)
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune and Sudan's Sovereign Council General Abdulfattah al-Burhan in Algeria (Algerian Presidency)
TT

Tebboune, Burhan Warn Against ‘Foreign Interferences’ in Sudan

Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune and Sudan's Sovereign Council General Abdulfattah al-Burhan in Algeria (Algerian Presidency)
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune and Sudan's Sovereign Council General Abdulfattah al-Burhan in Algeria (Algerian Presidency)

Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune affirmed his country's support for Sudan to overcome "difficult circumstances" and confront "evil forces" targeting it.
On Sunday, Tebboune received the Head of Sudan's Sovereign Council, General Abdulfattah al-Burhan, who started a two-day official visit to Algeria.
Tebboune received Burhan at the presidential headquarters, and together, they held bilateral talks and then chaired expanded discussions that included the two countries’ delegations.
During a joint press conference in Algiers, Tebboune asserted that Algeria "stands by Sudan to overcome the difficult circumstances and confront the forces of evil targeting it."
Tebboune said Algeria always supports Sudan, speaking of the "centuries-old relations" that unite their "two brotherly nations."
Burhan welcomed every action taken by Algeria, whether at the Arab or African level, to resolve the crisis in Sudan, warning that "Sudan is facing a conspiracy with the complicity of international and regional partners."
The Sudanese leader thanked Algeria, which he said had been "present at every Arab or regional discussion or negotiation."
Meanwhile, the Sudan Liberation Army Movement, led by Darfur governor Minni Arko Minawi, arrived Sunday in Gedaref, eastern Sudan.
Gedaref governor-designate, Mohamed Mahjoub, told the Sudan News Agency (SUNA) that Minawi's forces will participate with the Sudanese army to secure the country's state and eastern borders.
Mahjoub pointed out that the armed forces, the movement's forces, and the parties that signed the Juba Peace Agreement have been in coordination since they announced their support for the armed forces following the outbreak of war with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
The Sudan Liberation Army Movement's advisor for reconciliation and social peace, Brigadier General Yahya Hassanein, confirmed that his forces will support the armed forces in defending the country and ensure the unity of its people.
Hassanein said he was looking forward to increasing joint work with the state in many different aspects.
Furthermore, a delegation from the Coordination of Civil Democratic Forces (Taqaddum), led by former Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok, is scheduled to head to South Sudan within days.
Taqaddum spokesman Alaeddine Naqd stated that Hamdok is expected to hold discussions with officials in Juba and President Salva Kiir Mayardit.
Naqd told Asharq Al-Awsat that the civil forces delegation will arrive in Juba at the end of this month to meet with South Sudan officials.
He explained that the meetings would discuss putting an end to the war and address South Sudan's role in achieving peace. He said officials are preparing for a meeting between the Taqaddum delegation and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement–North, led by Abdulaziz al-Hilu, and the Sudan Liberation Movement, led by Abdul Wahid Mohammad Nur.
The spokesman said the meetings aim to unify the forces opposed to the war, explaining that efforts are underway to organize a meeting with the two men.
Taqaddum sent two letters to Hilu and Nur calling them to a meeting to unify civil forces, and they responded by welcoming the efforts.
The Coordination also sent two letters to the Sudanese Communist Party and the Arab Socialist Baath Party for a meeting to unify efforts against war.
Sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that all components of Taqaddum are expected to participate in the Juba meetings.

The sources, who requested anonymity, said the broad participation aims to reflect diversity and present Taqaddum's road map and the Addis Ababa Declaration signed by the RSF leader.
They indicated that efforts are underway for a meeting between Burhan and Taqaddum's officials.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.