Sudanese Civil Forces are Ready to Meet Burhan at Any Place, Time

Former Sudanese PM Abdullah Hamdok (AP)
Former Sudanese PM Abdullah Hamdok (AP)
TT

Sudanese Civil Forces are Ready to Meet Burhan at Any Place, Time

Former Sudanese PM Abdullah Hamdok (AP)
Former Sudanese PM Abdullah Hamdok (AP)

The Sudanese Coordination of Civil Democratic Forces (Taqaddum) has said it was ready to meet with Sudanese army commander Abdulfattah al-Burhan “at any place and time” of his choosing, including in the temporary capital, Port Sudan.

Taqaddum’s spokesman, Alaeddine Naqd, indicated that the coordination committee is ready to meet with Burhan “anywhere and at any time, whether inside or outside Sudan and that it has been requesting such a meeting since last December.”

Naqd told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Forces hope the meeting will be held soon because the war is exacerbating the suffering of the Sudanese.

The head of Taqaddum, former Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok, sent two letters to both Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) Commander Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti)

the day after the formation of the Coordination, requesting a meeting with the two men to discuss ending the war.

Hemedti responded and held meetings with Taqaddum officials in Addis Ababa, which led to the signing of the Addis Ababa Declaration, stipulating an immediate cessation of hostilities and establishing a unified national army that was not subject to any political or ideological restrictions.

However, Burhan did not officially respond to Hamdok’s request, which forced him to renew his request in another letter.

In an indirect response to Taqaddum’s request, Burhan said that the search for solutions must come from “inside the country, not outside it.”

Last Tuesday, Burhan met with his forces in the 11th Division in the Khashm al-Qirba region, east of the country.

The leader indicated he would not negotiate with anyone outside the country, and he would not travel to meet anyone abroad, asserting that the solution lies within Sudan.

Meanwhile, Taqaddum officials are holding meetings in Juba, South Sudan, to expand the civil anti-war front.

A meeting between Hamdok and the President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir Mayardit, was delayed after the former PM tested positive for the coronavirus.

The delegation, which arrived in Juba at the invitation of Mayardit, is holding meetings with officials and is expected to meet with Commander of Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA-N) Abdel Aziz al-Hilu and the leader of Sudan Liberation Movement Abdul Wahid al-Nur.

Taqaddum had previously sent two letters to both men requesting a meeting to expand the civil front and create a broad bloc to stop the war. The two initially accepted the offer, but sessions must be scheduled.

Furthermore, the media office of the Sudanese Transitional Sovereignty Council said Burhan received a written message from Djibouti President Ismail Omar Guelleh discussing the development of bilateral relations.

On Thursday, Burhan met with the Djibouti envoy, Ambassador Issa Khairi, who delivered the presidential message addressing bilateral relations and their development in various fields.

Djibouti chairs the current Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD) session, which leads mediation between the two sides of the war in Sudan.

Last Tuesday, Burhan reiterated that any statement issued by IGAD does not concern Sudan after he suspended his country’s membership in the organization to protest allowing Hemedti to attend the 42nd extraordinary summit in Uganda.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.