Hemedti Demands Urgent Humanitarian Intervention in Sudan

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams assess the medical situation of newly arrived refugees to Adré hospital in Chad (File photo/AFP)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams assess the medical situation of newly arrived refugees to Adré hospital in Chad (File photo/AFP)
TT

Hemedti Demands Urgent Humanitarian Intervention in Sudan

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams assess the medical situation of newly arrived refugees to Adré hospital in Chad (File photo/AFP)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams assess the medical situation of newly arrived refugees to Adré hospital in Chad (File photo/AFP)

The leader of Sudanese paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo called upon the international community on Thursday to urgently deal with the profound humanitarian crisis in Sudan.
The RSF Commander, also known as Hemedti, warned that civilians could face the real possibility of starvation, blaming the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) for blocking the distribution of aid to the conflict areas.
In a post on his X account, Hemedti said the war in Sudan, ignited by remnants of the former regime and their allies within the SAF, has resulted in a profound humanitarian crisis. “Throughout this 10-month war, the situation has deteriorated significantly, culminating in a famine in certain areas of the country,” he wrote.
The RSF Commander also noted that Sudanese civilians find themselves in dire circumstances, facing the real possibility of starvation. “This situation necessitates prompt action from regional and international organizations and agencies to provide urgent relief,” he said.
Hemedti called upon international partners to urgently honor their commitments under international humanitarian law and swiftly increase humanitarian aid to all regions of Sudan, particularly to the most affected areas.
He then expressed the RSF’ willingness to enter into a bilateral agreement and collaborate with international organizations to implement a program that prioritizes civilian protection in areas under their rule.
In this regard, the RSF Commander called on the international community to exert pressure on the Port Sudan Group to adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian law, as stipulated in the Jeddah Declaration for the Protection of Civilians and the commitments paper signed in 2023, by ensuring unimpeded humanitarian access to the affected civilians.
“We reaffirm our steadfast commitment to working with all international partners to facilitate the unrestricted delivery of humanitarian aid in Sudan, ensuring the welfare and safety of affected populations and humanitarian workers,” Hemedti wrote on X.
His post came after a recent UN Progress Classification report highlighted a rapid decline in food security across Sudan, with areas under the RSF protection, including Khartoum, Kordofan, Darfur, and Gezira, experiencing an emergency level of food insecurity, and affecting more than 25 million people.
Meanwhile, the RSF legal advisor, Mohammad al-Mokhtar, welcomed on Thursday the UN efforts to hold a meeting between RSF and the Sudanese Army to facilitate the flow of humanitarian aid across Sudan.
Martin Griffiths, the UN undersecretary for humanitarian affairs, told reporters in Geneva last week that he spoke with Hemedti and SAF chief Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, and that both assured him that they would attend a meeting in Switzerland to discuss humanitarian issues and Sudan’s beleaguered civilians.
“During this meeting, our primary goal is to reach a joint vision over the flow of humanitarian aid to the affected areas, and to remove the administrative obstacles hindering their distribution,” al-Mohktar affirmed.

 



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.