Israel Resumes Attacks on Southern Lebanon after ‘Temporary Truce’

Relatives visit the graves of killed Hezbollah fighters during Eid al-Adha in the southern Lebanese town of Naqoura. (AFP)
Relatives visit the graves of killed Hezbollah fighters during Eid al-Adha in the southern Lebanese town of Naqoura. (AFP)
TT

Israel Resumes Attacks on Southern Lebanon after ‘Temporary Truce’

Relatives visit the graves of killed Hezbollah fighters during Eid al-Adha in the southern Lebanese town of Naqoura. (AFP)
Relatives visit the graves of killed Hezbollah fighters during Eid al-Adha in the southern Lebanese town of Naqoura. (AFP)

Israel resumed on Monday strikes on southern Lebanon after two days of an undeclared truce that emerged after Hezbollah stopped its attacks against Israel on Saturday night.

The lull in fighting prompted displaced residents of the South to visit their villages on Sunday and Monday, which coincided with the Eid al-Adha holiday.

The calm was short-lived as Israel resumed its attacks around 11 am on Monday, with a drone strike killing a Hezbollah fighter.

The developments coincided with the return of US envoy to the region Amos Hochstein to Beirut on Monday, the second stop of his trip that he kicked off in Tel Aviv. He is expected to meet with caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati and parliament Speaker Nabih Berri.

Ahead of his arrival, Hezbollah announced its rejection of the proposal to set up a buffer zone in the South, stressing that it won’t stop its attacks against Israel before a ceasefire is reached in Gaza.

Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah described on Monday the idea of a buffer zone as an "illusion drawn up by the leaders of the enemy."

"The issue is not up for discussion because the resistance [Hezbollah] is deployed on its land and defending it, while the enemy is occupying the land of the Palestinian, Syrian and Lebanese people. It must pull out from them," he added.

"The only viable solution is an end to the hostilities that is approved by the resistance in Palestine. This will lead to an end to fighting on the Lebanese front," he went on to say.

"Lebanon will then decide what steps to take to protect its people and sovereignty. The enemy is in no position to impose its conditions," stressed Fadlallah.

The undeclared truce allowed some displaced residents of the South to their towns to pray and mourn loved ones killed in months of cross-border violence between Israel and Hezbollah.

"Today is Eid al-Adha, but it's completely different this year," said teacher Rabab Yazbek, 44, at a cemetery in the coastal town of Naqoura, from which many residents have fled.

Every family has lost someone, "whether a relative, friend or neighbor," Yazbek said, adding that two people she had taught had been killed.

Israel and Hezbollah, which is allied with Hamas, have traded near-daily cross-border fire since the Palestinian group's October 7 attack on Israel which triggered war in the Gaza Strip.

The violence has killed at least 473 people in Lebanon, most of them fighters but also including 92 civilians, according to an AFP tally.

Israeli authorities say at least 15 soldiers and 11 civilians have been killed in the country's north.

The Naqoura municipality said it had coordinated with the Lebanese army so that residents could safely visit the cemetery and mosque for two hours for Eid al-Adha.

Residents reportedly returned to a number of south Lebanon border villages on Monday morning as part of similar initiatives.

UNIFIL armored vehicles patrol on the entrance of the southern Lebanese town of Naqoura. (AFP)

'Thousand thanks'

Yellow Hezbollah flags and green ones belonging to the group's ally the Amal movement flew at the recently established cemetery near the sea, located just a stone's throw from the United Nations peacekeepers' headquarters.

Lebanese soldiers accompanied the residents as they entered the town.

The army coordinates with the UN peacekeepers, who in turn communicate with the Israeli side as part of efforts to maintain calm.

In Naqoura, a damaged sign reading "thank you for your visit" lay along the highway.

Amid the concrete rubble and twisted metal of one building, the shattered glass of a family photo lay scattered on the ground.

Nearby, potted plants hung from the veranda rails of another devastated structure, with a pink child's toy car among the debris.

Rawand Yazbek, 50, was inspecting her clothing shop, whose glass store front had been destroyed, though the rest remained largely intact.

"A thousand thanks to God," she said, grateful that not all was lost.

"As you can see... our stores are full of goods," she said, pointing to shelves and racks of colorful clothes.

04 June 2024, Lebanon, Naqoura: A view of rubble of destroyed houses caused by Israeli air raids are seen in the Lebanese southern village of Naqoura, located at the Lebanese-Israeli border. (dpa)

'Cowardly'

Hezbollah stepped up attacks against northern Israel last week after an Israeli strike killed a senior commander from the movement.

The Iran-backed group has not claimed any attacks since Saturday afternoon.

Lebanese official media reported Israeli bombardment in the country's south over the weekend, as well as a deadly strike on Monday. Hezbollah said later that one of its fighters had been killed.

Like other residents who support the Hezbollah and Amal movements, Naqoura municipality head Abbas Awada called attacks on the town "cowardly".

Last week, a strike there blamed on Israel killed an employee of the area's public water company.

More than 95,000 people in Lebanon have been displaced by the hostilities, according to the UN's International Organization for Migration.

Tens of thousands have also been displaced on the Israeli side of the frontier.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan Ezzedine, among a large crowd that attended prayers at the Naqoura mosque, said the turnout was a message that "this land is ours, we will not leave it."

"We support this resistance (Hezbollah) because it's what protects us, it's what defends us," he said.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.