Türkiye Fortifies its Positions in Idlib Ahead of Possible Military Escalation

Turkish tanks are seen in areas adjacent to regions held by the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northern Syria. (Turkish Defense Ministry file)
Turkish tanks are seen in areas adjacent to regions held by the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northern Syria. (Turkish Defense Ministry file)
TT
20

Türkiye Fortifies its Positions in Idlib Ahead of Possible Military Escalation

Turkish tanks are seen in areas adjacent to regions held by the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northern Syria. (Turkish Defense Ministry file)
Turkish tanks are seen in areas adjacent to regions held by the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in northern Syria. (Turkish Defense Ministry file)

The Turkish army has brought in military and logistic reinforcements to its positions in de-escalation zones in Syria’s Idlib that lie in the areas covered in the agreement reached between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The reinforcements were concentrated in the sourthern Idlib region, while on the other side, Syrian troops have also been amassing.

Damascus sent a missile system from the Raqqa and Sabrin airports in the Aleppo countryside and deployed them in areas adjacent to regions held by the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham and other factions.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights predicted that clashes may soon erupt between the Syrian forces and armed factions in Idlib.

Turkish forces have also been busy completing a “security line” stretching across their positions in eastern Idlib.

The Observatory said Turkish forces continued to pour into the contact lines with the Syrian troops for the third straight day.

The reinforcements began after a meeting between Putin and Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan in Moscow on June 11.

At the same time, sources close to the Syrian government told Turkish media that a meeting was held between Russin, Turkish and Syrian military officials at the Hmeimim air base in Syria’s Latakia.

The sources viewed the meeting as a resumption of talks between Ankara and Damascus that had been frozen for some time.

The meeting focused on developments in Idlib and its surrounding areas. This was the first meeting of its kind to be held on Syrian territories.

Turkish sources approached by Asharq Al-Awsat did not confirm or deny that the meeting was held. They did reveal, however, that Putin and Fidan had discussed the possibility of resuming Moscow-sponsored talks that began in June 2021.

The issue will be discussed during the upcoming meeting between Putin and Erdogan in July at the summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) in Astana on July 3-4.



Israeli Strikes on Gaza Kill 24, Mostly Women and Children

 Children walk by the destroyed house of journalist Islam Meqdad, where she was killed along with her son and five other family members in an Israeli army strike in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, Sunday, April 6, 2025. (AP)
Children walk by the destroyed house of journalist Islam Meqdad, where she was killed along with her son and five other family members in an Israeli army strike in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, Sunday, April 6, 2025. (AP)
TT
20

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Kill 24, Mostly Women and Children

 Children walk by the destroyed house of journalist Islam Meqdad, where she was killed along with her son and five other family members in an Israeli army strike in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, Sunday, April 6, 2025. (AP)
Children walk by the destroyed house of journalist Islam Meqdad, where she was killed along with her son and five other family members in an Israeli army strike in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, Sunday, April 6, 2025. (AP)

Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip killed at least 24 people, including over a dozen women and children, local health officials said Sunday, as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu headed to the United States to meet with President Donald Trump about the war.

Israel last month ended its ceasefire with Hamas and renewed its air and ground offensive, carrying out waves of strikes and seizing territory to pressure the group to accept a new deal for a truce and release of remaining hostages. It has also blocked the import of food, fuel and humanitarian aid for over a month to the coastal territory heavily reliant on outside assistance.

“Stocks are getting low and the situation is becoming desperate,” the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees said on social media.

The latest Israeli strikes overnight into Sunday hit a tent and a house in the southern city of Khan Younis, killing five men, five women and five children, according to Nasser Hospital, which received the bodies.

A female journalist was among those killed. “My daughter is innocent. She had no involvement, she loved journalism and adored it,” said her mother, Amal Kaskeen.

The body of one child, 1 1/2-year old, took up just one end of an emergency stretcher.

“Trump wants to end the Gaza issue. He is in a hurry, and that is clear from this morning,” asserted Mohammad Abdel-Hadi, cousin of a woman killed.

Israeli shelling killed at least four people in the Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza, according to Gaza's Health Ministry. And the bodies of five people, including a child and three women, arrived at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, according to an Associated Press journalist there.

Dozens of Palestinians took to the streets in Jabaliya for a new round of anti-war protests. Footage circulating on social media showed people marching and chanting against Hamas. Such protests, while rare, have occurred in recent weeks.

There is also anger inside Israel over the war's resumption and its effects on remaining hostages in Gaza. Families of hostages along with some of those recently freed from Gaza and their supporters on Saturday urged Trump to help ensure the fighting ends.

Netanyahu on Monday will meet with Trump for the second time since Trump began his latest term in January. The prime minister said they would discuss the war and the new 17% tariff imposed on Israel, part of a sweeping global decision by the new US administration.

“There is a very large queue of leaders who want to do this with respect to their economies. I think it reflects the special personal connection and the special connection between the United States and Israel, which is so vital at this time,” Netanyahu said while wrapping up a visit to Hungary.

The US, a mediator in ceasefire efforts along with Egypt and Qatar, expressed support for Israel's resumption of the war last month.

Hundreds of Palestinians since then have been killed, among them 15 medics whose bodies were recovered only a week later. Israel's military this weekend backtracked on its account of what happened in the incident, captured in part on video, that caused anger by Red Cross and Red Crescent and UN officials.

The war began when Hamas-led gunmen attacked Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing some 1,200 people and taking 251 hostage. Fifty-nine hostages are still held in Gaza — 24 believed to be alive — after most of the rest were released in ceasefires or other deals.

Israel’s offensive has killed at least 50,695 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which does not say how many were civilians or combatants but says more than half were women and children. It says another 115,338 people have been wounded. Israel says it has killed around 20,000 fighters, without providing evidence.