Three People Killed in Israeli Airstrike on Damascus

A car drives past a Syrian flag flying at half mast during national mourning after Lebanon's Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah was killed in an Israeli airstrike on Friday, in Damascus, Syria, September 29, 2024. REUTERS/Firas Makdesi
A car drives past a Syrian flag flying at half mast during national mourning after Lebanon's Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah was killed in an Israeli airstrike on Friday, in Damascus, Syria, September 29, 2024. REUTERS/Firas Makdesi
TT

Three People Killed in Israeli Airstrike on Damascus

A car drives past a Syrian flag flying at half mast during national mourning after Lebanon's Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah was killed in an Israeli airstrike on Friday, in Damascus, Syria, September 29, 2024. REUTERS/Firas Makdesi
A car drives past a Syrian flag flying at half mast during national mourning after Lebanon's Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah was killed in an Israeli airstrike on Friday, in Damascus, Syria, September 29, 2024. REUTERS/Firas Makdesi

Three civilians were killed and nine others injured in an Israeli airstrike on the Syrian capital Damascus, Syrian state media said early on Tuesday citing a military source.

Syrian state television earlier said that one of its presenters was killed in an Israeli strike on Damascus. It was unclear whether the presenter was among the three civilians mentioned by state media.

The Israeli air attack also caused a significant damage to private property, state media added.

Syrian air defenses intercepted "hostile targets" over the vicinity of Damascus three times in a row in one night, following explosions that were heard in the capital, state media said earlier on Tuesday.

When asked about the reported attack, the Israeli military said it does not comment on foreign media reports.



UN and Lebanon Launch an Appeal for $426 Million in Urgent Aid

Search and rescue team members try to find victims following an overnight raid by the Israel army on the Palestinian camp of Ain el-Hilweh, in Sidon, Lebanon, 01 October 2024. (EPA)
Search and rescue team members try to find victims following an overnight raid by the Israel army on the Palestinian camp of Ain el-Hilweh, in Sidon, Lebanon, 01 October 2024. (EPA)
TT

UN and Lebanon Launch an Appeal for $426 Million in Urgent Aid

Search and rescue team members try to find victims following an overnight raid by the Israel army on the Palestinian camp of Ain el-Hilweh, in Sidon, Lebanon, 01 October 2024. (EPA)
Search and rescue team members try to find victims following an overnight raid by the Israel army on the Palestinian camp of Ain el-Hilweh, in Sidon, Lebanon, 01 October 2024. (EPA)

The United Nations and the Lebanese government have launched a $426 million flash appeal for urgent humanitarian aid for civilians caught up in the ongoing conflict with Israel.

The appeal was launched in Beirut Tuesday by caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati and UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Lebanon Imran Riza.

Mikati said that Lebanon is going through “one of the most dangerous moments in its history.” He said that 1 million people have been displaced as a result “of the destructive war launched by Israel on Lebanon.”

The flash appeal seeks to assist the displaced by addressing urgent needs in areas such as food, basic assistance, shelter, health care, water and municipal services, the UN said.

“Without sufficient resources, humanitarians risk leaving the population of an entire country without the support they urgently require,” Riza warned. He added that no amount of aid can fully address the crisis if civilians continue to be targeted.