Naim Qassem’s Speech Sought to Lift Morale, Indirectly Stop Tying Lebanon to Gaza Ceasefire

A person watches a speech by Sheikh Naim Qassem, deputy leader of Hezbollah, broadcasted on Hezbollah's al-Manar TV channel, on their mobile phone in Beirut, Lebanon, 08 October 2024. (EPA)
A person watches a speech by Sheikh Naim Qassem, deputy leader of Hezbollah, broadcasted on Hezbollah's al-Manar TV channel, on their mobile phone in Beirut, Lebanon, 08 October 2024. (EPA)
TT

Naim Qassem’s Speech Sought to Lift Morale, Indirectly Stop Tying Lebanon to Gaza Ceasefire

A person watches a speech by Sheikh Naim Qassem, deputy leader of Hezbollah, broadcasted on Hezbollah's al-Manar TV channel, on their mobile phone in Beirut, Lebanon, 08 October 2024. (EPA)
A person watches a speech by Sheikh Naim Qassem, deputy leader of Hezbollah, broadcasted on Hezbollah's al-Manar TV channel, on their mobile phone in Beirut, Lebanon, 08 October 2024. (EPA)

Hezbollah deputy chief Naim Qassem’s second speech since taking over as acting leader of the Iran-backed group was significant for attempting to lift the morale of fighters and pave the way for a ceasefire after he implicitly abandoned the “unity of arenas” which ties Hezbollah attacks against Israel to a ceasefire in Gaza.

Qassem is acting head of Hezbollah after the assassination of Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah in an Israeli strike in Beirut’s southern suburbs last month.

Moreover, Qassem implicitly handed over political decision making in Lebanon to Hezbollah ally and other half of the so-called “Shiite duo”, parliament Speaker Nabih Berri.

Qassem compared Berri to a “big brother” who cannot be ignored by anyone. He confirmed that Hezbollah supports Berri’s political efforts to reach a solution.

Qassem’s speech demonstrated that Hezbollah now prioritizes ending the war, while avoiding mentioning tying the fighting in Lebanon to Gaza.

Sami Nader, director of the Levant Institute for Strategic Affairs, said Qassem tried to show that Hezbollah and Berri’s Amal movement shared the same positions.

This is significant after the Iranian foreign minister’s visit to Beirut last week during which he continued to tie the Lebanese front to Gaza, effectively obstructing Berri’s ceasefire efforts, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Qassem attempted to remedy the situation by speaking at length about the relationship between Hezbollah and Berri, while focusing little on ties with Iran, he noted.

A positive takeaway from the speech was Qassem abandoning the “unity of arenas” between Lebanon and Gaza, Nader remarked. One negative was his tying of the election of a president to the end of the conflict, rather than the constitution.

Nader explained that Qassem was still holding on to the election of a president as a means to exert political pressure.

Qassem said there can be no discussions over any issue before a ceasefire is reached.

His statement dashed demands that Hezbollah would not tie the elections to a ceasefire. The US had called for the immediate election of a president.

Lebanon has been without a head of state since President Michel Aoun’s term ended in October 2022. Bickering between political blocs has thwarted the election of a successor.

Iran’s influence

Retired General Yaroub Sakr said Qassem tasked Berri with reaching a ceasefire but with conditions, such as ending the fighting, while ignoring the implementation of United Nations Security Council resolution 1701 and the election of the president.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, Sakr criticized Qassem for claiming that the war wasn’t about Iran’s influence, but about liberating Palestine.

“The reality is actually the opposite. Had the war been about the liberation of Palestine, everyone would have jumped aboard to support it. The truth is, however, that the goal is for Iran to become the main decision-maker in the Middle East as demonstrated in how Tehran did not join Hamas in the war that erupted on October 7, 2023,” Skar went on to say.

Furthermore, Qassem said Hezbollah’s military capabilities were still “good” and the party leadership continued to operate. Sakr noted that Qassem did not address the fate of the party’s presumed new leader, Hashem Safieddine, who Israel targeted in a strike on Beirut’s southern suburbs on Thursday.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced on Tuesday that Safieddine and his successors were killed in the attack.

Lifting morale

Qassem delivered his speech on the one-year anniversary of Hezbollah launching its “support front” with its Palestinian ally Hamas. The party started attacking Israel in solidarity with Hamas in Gaza.

It did not consult the government about carrying out the attacks, and last week, Israel intensified its strikes against the party, turning the border clashes into war against Lebanon.

Israel has mainly struck Hezbollah strongholds in the country’s south and east and Beirut’s southern suburbs, leading to the displacement of 1.2 million people.

The Israeli army has succeeded in assassinating Hezbollah top command, including longtime leader Nasrallah.

The heavy blows have left Hezbollah in disarray. Qassem attempted to deflect from the situation by assuring the party’s supporters that the “resistance is cohesive”.

To the displaced, he said: “You have seen our mighty achievements. We will persevere and be victorious. Your displacement is akin to the price that the resistance is paying.”

Sakr dismissed Qassem’s statements as “arrogance and detached from reality.”

“Qassem tried to lift the morale of its supporters which has taken a shock after the heavy blows Israel dealt to its political, command and military leaderships,” he noted.

Nasrallah’s assassination was the greatest shock and the party has yet to name a successor, he added.

Nader echoed Sakr’s remarks, saying Qassem tried to raise morale amid the unease among Hezbollah supporters.

He attempted to demonstrate that the party was still capable and ready for all blows despite Israel’s obvious military superiority.

Qassem also focused on Hezbollah’s military strength on the ground, something that Nasrallah had often spoken about, and this is indeed a position in the party’s favor against Israel, he noted.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.