Lebanon PM Says Hopes for Ceasefire With Israel in 'Coming Hours or Days'

This handout picture provided by the Lebanese Prime Minister's press office shows Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati delivering a statement to the press in Beirut on October 11, 2024. (Photo by Lebanese Prime Minister's Press Office / AFP)
This handout picture provided by the Lebanese Prime Minister's press office shows Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati delivering a statement to the press in Beirut on October 11, 2024. (Photo by Lebanese Prime Minister's Press Office / AFP)
TT
20

Lebanon PM Says Hopes for Ceasefire With Israel in 'Coming Hours or Days'

This handout picture provided by the Lebanese Prime Minister's press office shows Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati delivering a statement to the press in Beirut on October 11, 2024. (Photo by Lebanese Prime Minister's Press Office / AFP)
This handout picture provided by the Lebanese Prime Minister's press office shows Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati delivering a statement to the press in Beirut on October 11, 2024. (Photo by Lebanese Prime Minister's Press Office / AFP)

Lebanon's prime minister said US envoy Amos Hochstein had signaled during a phone call Wednesday that a ceasefire in the Israel-Hezbollah war was possible before US elections are held on November 5.
"The call today with Hochstein suggested to me that perhaps we could reach a ceasefire in the coming days, before the fifth" of November, Najib Mikati said in a televised interview with Lebanese broadcaster Al-Jadeed.
Hochstein was heading to Israel on Wednesday to discuss conditions for a ceasefire with Hezbollah, State Department spokesman Matthew Miller told reporters.
Hezbollah's new leader Naim Qassem on Wednesday said the group would agree to a ceasefire with Israel under acceptable terms, but added that a viable deal has yet to be presented, reported AFP.
"We are doing our best... to have a ceasefire within the coming hours or days," Mikati told Al-Jadeed, adding that he was "cautiously optimistic".
Mikati said Hezbollah is no longer linking a ceasefire in Lebanon to a truce in Gaza, but criticized the group over its "late" reversal.
Previously, Hezbollah had repeatedly declared it would stop its attacks on Israel only if a ceasefire was reached in Gaza.
However, Qassem on Wednesday said the group would accept a ceasefire under conditions deemed "appropriate and suitable", without any mention of the Palestinian territory.
Mikati said a ceasefire would be linked to the implementation of the United Nations resolution that ended the 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.
Security Council Resolution 1701 states that only the Lebanese army and UN peacekeepers should be deployed in southern Lebanon, while demanding the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanese territory.
"The Lebanese army is ready to strengthen its presence in southern Lebanon" and ensure that the only weapons and military infrastructure in the area are those controlled by the state, Mikati said.
He also said he would continue to try to shield Lebanon's only airport from attacks by Israel.
"I can guarantee that we will not give anyone an excuse to undermine our security or our air traffic," Mikati said.
Aid deliveries from Iran, Iraq and Algeria can "come by sea", he said, in order not to give Israel a pretext to launch strikes.
Mikati also said it was too dangerous to try to reopen Lebanon's main land border with Syria, which was put out of service by an Israeli strike this month.
"We sent a bulldozer to fill the crater at the crossing and it was bombed," Mikati said.
"We will not expose anyone to danger before we have full guarantees."



UN’s Tetteh Urges Libyan, Int’l Support for Advisory Committee

The head of the United Nations mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh and Egypt's Ambassador to Libya, Tamer El-Hefny (UN)
The head of the United Nations mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh and Egypt's Ambassador to Libya, Tamer El-Hefny (UN)
TT
20

UN’s Tetteh Urges Libyan, Int’l Support for Advisory Committee

The head of the United Nations mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh and Egypt's Ambassador to Libya, Tamer El-Hefny (UN)
The head of the United Nations mission in Libya Hanna Tetteh and Egypt's Ambassador to Libya, Tamer El-Hefny (UN)

The head of the United Nations mission in Libya, Hanna Tetteh, said the mission’s Advisory Committee needs support from Libyan parties and international partners to help create the right conditions for elections.

The UN mission said in a statement on Wednesday that Tetteh made the remarks during a meeting in Tripoli with Egypt's Ambassador to Libya, Tamer El-Hefny. The two discussed the committee’s ongoing work as well as Libya’s political and economic situation.

Tetteh reaffirmed the mission’s support for a Libyan-led reconciliation process facilitated by the African Union, emphasizing its victim-centered and human rights-based approach.

During a video meeting with Wahida Ayari, the Head of the AU Liaison Office in Libya (AULOL), Tetteh also discussed the protection of migrants and refugees in the country, the UN mission said.

Tetteh briefed Ayari on the work of the Advisory Committee and broader political process, while Ayari reiterated the African Union’s support for the UN mission’s mandate and efforts in Libya, according to the statement.

In a separate discussion, Tetteh and Greek Ambassador to Egypt Nikolaos Garilidis stressed the importance of maintaining Libya’s stability and ensuring effective management of its economic resources.

They also reviewed the political process, including the Advisory Committee’s ongoing work and economic track, along with other shared concerns. The statement quoted Garilidis as reaffirming Greece’s commitment, alongside the UN mission, to advancing Libya’s political process.

Tetteh is set to brief the UN Security Council this month on political, security, and humanitarian developments, as well as the latest updates from the UN mission.

According to the Security Council Report, a platform that tracks and analyzes the Council’s work, Tetteh’s briefing on efforts to revive political dialogue will likely be followed by a statement supporting UN mediation efforts or a closed-door meeting to discuss ways to break Libya’s political deadlock.