Israel Launches Largest Incursion into South Lebanon

Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)
Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)
TT

Israel Launches Largest Incursion into South Lebanon

Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)
Israeli soldiers attend the funeral of a soldier killed in the battles of South Lebanon. (EPA)

The Israeli army launched its “largest incursion” into southern Lebanon on Thursday, advancing along three main axes.
On the western front, forces reached the outskirts of Shamaa, a town located about 4 kilometers from the border, where they engaged in clashes with Hezbollah.
This marked the first day of a ground operation whose scope and objectives remain undefined. The incursion was accompanied by widespread aerial bombardment targeting villages located 7 to 15 kilometers deep within Lebanese territory.
The Israeli army stated that forces from the 91st Division were expanding the scope of the ground operation into the outskirts of the second line of villages in South Lebanon, entering areas where Israeli forces had not previously accessed. During the operation, commandos from the division reportedly discovered a rocket-launch platform containing 32 launchers, along with weapons depots, various munitions, and underground tunnels.
Although the Israeli army did not specify the operation’s scale or location, sources in South Lebanon told Asharq Al-Awsat that Israel was conducting “its broadest incursion attempt across all sectors.”
The incursion reached the outskirts of the strategic town of Shama, which overlooks the city of Tyre. A Lebanese security source informed Asharq Al-Awsat that infiltration attempts began at dawn along the Dahira axis. This border town, heavily destroyed in recent weeks, was part of a path leading toward Wadi Hamoul and Shama.
Sources confirmed that Israeli forces reached Shama’s outskirts, where heavy clashes were ongoing.
On the western front, the Israeli army avoided crossing wooded areas and valleys, opting instead for exposed paths to minimize the risk of direct rocket attacks by Hezbollah fighters believed to be entrenched in those regions. This approach followed a shorter route from Dhaira through the outskirts of Teir Harfa toward Shama. Notably, Shama hosts one of the largest UNIFIL bases in southern Lebanon.
Local media reported fierce clashes involving machine guns, followed by Israeli artillery shelling of Teir Harfa with phosphorus and heavy artillery shells. Reports also emerged of an Israeli Merkava tank being destroyed while advancing in Wadi Al-Batishiya en route to Teir Harfa.
An Israeli helicopter was spotted evacuating injured soldiers from the incursion axis. By afternoon, Israeli forces had reportedly withdrawn from some incursion points back toward the border, while Hezbollah continued targeting military positions with rocket fire.
The Israeli army appears focused on reaching the highlands overlooking Wadi Al-Hujeir, believed to be a launching site for rockets targeting Israel. This strategy mirrors its geographic positioning in southern Lebanon before its withdrawal in 2000.
Local media reported attempts to penetrate along multiple axes, including Dahira–Alma Al-Shaab–Hamoul on the western front, and Naqoura–Teir Harfa in the same sector.
In the central sector, incursions targeted Yaron–Bint Jbeil, Ayta Al-Shaab–Bint Jbeil, and Ayta Al-Shaab–Ainata. In the eastern sector, Israeli forces attempted to advance through Al-Abbad–Houla and Wadi Hounin–Marjayoun.

Field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that airstrikes resumed on border villages, suggesting that Hezbollah fighters had managed to re-enter areas previously seized by Israeli forces.
The renewed aerial bombardment targeted villages along the third and fourth defensive lines in a bid to disrupt the missile and artillery support aiding Hezbollah fighters on the ground.
The intense Israeli shelling and airstrikes extended 7 to 12 kilometers deep into Lebanese territory, hitting the outskirts of villages such as Zibqin, Majdal Zoun, Sheihin, Shaqra, Braachit, Tiri, Qabrikha, Al-Mansouri, and others. Dozens of villages were reportedly struck with heavy artillery and air raids.
The objectives, scale, and timeline of the Israeli military operation remain unclear. Israeli media reports indicate uncertainty about whether the incursion is aimed at establishing permanent military positions in South Lebanon, or simply destroying border villages in the second defensive line, as had been done with villages in the first line.
The lack of clarity stems from the Israeli withdrawal from first-line villages, which enabled Hezbollah to regain access to those areas.
While Yedioth Ahronoth reported that the military seeks to establish conditions for a post-war scenario in southern Lebanon—preventing armed Hezbollah presence south of the Litani River, particularly in the first and second defensive lines—other commentators argue that significant amounts of Hezbollah’s rocket stockpiles, which continue to target deep into Israel, are located in second-line villages. These areas are considered close enough to the border for Hezbollah to launch effective strikes on Israeli territory.

 

 



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.