Biden Closely Coordinating With Trump to Reach Ceasefire, Hostage Deal in Gaza

Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)
Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)
TT

Biden Closely Coordinating With Trump to Reach Ceasefire, Hostage Deal in Gaza

Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)
Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump in the Oval Office of the White House last November 13 (Reuters)

The administration of US President Joe Biden is closely coordinating with the team of President-elect Donald Trump to ensure the success of the ongoing negotiations for a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of hostages between Israel and Hamas.
This close arrangement comes in the wake of a ceasefire deal in Lebanon and amid a major change in Syria, where Bashar Assad was overthrown over the weekend, ending a 50-year family dynasty.
The ongoing contacts between both teams also come a few weeks ahead of Trump’s January inauguration and while the Biden administration has initiated new diplomatic efforts to solve the crisis in the Gaza Strip.
In this regard, Secretary of State Antony Blinken is set to visit Jordan and Türkiye, while US national security adviser Jake Sullivan plans stops in Israel, Qatar and Egypt in the coming days, according to officials.
US officials said the Biden administration wants to finally reach a ceasefire in its final weeks in office, while Trump has a desire to start his second term with both the Lebanon and Gaza conflicts wrapped up and the hostages held by Hamas released. Ceasefire talks have repeatedly collapsed over the past few months, undermining efforts to bring an end to the violence.
Blinken is returning to the Middle East this week for his 12th visit since the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war last year. This marks his first visit to the region since the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Although his talks will focus largely on Syria, they will also touch on hopes for a deal to end the fighting in Gaza.
The State Department said Blinken would meet Jordanian officials, including King Abdullah II, in the port city of Aqaba on Thursday. He will fly after to Ankara for meetings with Turkish officials Friday.
Close Coordination
On Wednesday, five sources familiar with the conversations between both administrations told CNN there has been close coordination, with Trump’s team being kept apprised of the sensitive and painstaking work by Biden’s team.
They said the primary efforts are still being guided by Biden’s team and the two officials driving the ceasefire deal, CIA Director Bill Burns and the White House’s Brett McGurk.
Their counterpart in the Trump camp is Steve Witkoff, Trump’s recently named Middle East envoy.
Witkoff visited both Israel and Qatar at the end of November, two sources familiar with his travel said. In his meeting with the Qatari prime minister, a principal mediator of the talks, they discussed the war in Gaza and the potential for a ceasefire deal.
In a social media post last week, Trump proclaimed that he wanted the hostages to be released by the time he takes office, warning that otherwise: “There will be ALL HELL TO PAY in the Middle East, and for those in charge who perpetrated these atrocities against humanity.”
But Blinken sought to spin Trump’s warning, telling Reuters that the president-elect’s post was “a powerful reflection of the fact that we as Americans are determined to get the hostages back.”
“I think that’s a strong position across parties held by the United States, and we’re going to pursue every avenue we can in the time that we have left to try to get the hostages back and to get a ceasefire,” he added. “And I think the president-elect’s statement reinforces that.”
Despite sharp policy differences between Biden and Trump on countless issues, current administration officials have welcomed the president-elect’s support rather than seeing conflict in the work to try to support a hostage deal.
“Both the outgoing and incoming teams are in constant touch, so there will be a smooth transition,” national security adviser Jake Sullivan said Monday on CBS, adding that he spent “considerable time” briefing his expected successor, Republican Mike Waltz, on Syria over the weekend, according to CNN.
Possible Ceasefire
A year since the last truce in Gaza fell apart, participants in the talks are clear on their efforts but sober about their likelihood of success.
“I’m not going to sit here and describe the intricacies of the negotiations in public, but we very much believe a ceasefire is possible,” Jon Finer, Biden’s deputy national security adviser, said on CNN on Monday. “It’s a huge priority of this administration to try to achieve one.”
The other principal Middle East adviser Trump has named, Massad Boulos, said recently that the war is “practically over” and that only the question of a hostage deal remains, which should happen “immediately” and not be linked to any “day-after” plans.
“There might be some disagreement on certain Palestinians [to be released in the deal], but apart from that the two camps have agreed on the broad outlines of an agreement,” Boulos told French outlet Le Point.
The flurry of contact and travel by Biden and Trump officials will soon include a trip by Sullivan to Israel this week for talks on a range of issues, including Gaza. He follows James Rubin, a top deputy to Blinken, who visited Jerusalem last week.
Key members of Trump’s national security team – and the president-elect himself – have also been engaged with members of the Israeli government, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Incoming national security adviser Waltz recently met in Washington with Netanyahu’s closest aide, Ron Dermer, according to one source familiar with the meeting.
The framework again under discussion reflects earlier efforts spearheaded by the Biden administration, Qatar and Egypt, in which a first “humanitarian” phase would see the remaining female, elderly and wounded hostages be released in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.
Türkiye is now involved in the discussions since Qatar closed the Hamas political office in Doha and much of the negotiating team decamped to Türkiye, according to a diplomat involved in the talks.

 



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.