Hamas Says it Will Only Release American-Israeli Hostage if Truce Agreement Implemented

Israeli D9 bulldozers maneuver inside the Gaza Strip, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel, March 10, 2025. REUTERS/Amir Cohen
Israeli D9 bulldozers maneuver inside the Gaza Strip, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel, March 10, 2025. REUTERS/Amir Cohen
TT
20

Hamas Says it Will Only Release American-Israeli Hostage if Truce Agreement Implemented

Israeli D9 bulldozers maneuver inside the Gaza Strip, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel, March 10, 2025. REUTERS/Amir Cohen
Israeli D9 bulldozers maneuver inside the Gaza Strip, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, as seen from Israel, March 10, 2025. REUTERS/Amir Cohen

Hamas said Saturday it would only release an American-Israeli and the bodies of four other hostages if Israel implements the existing ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip, calling it an “exceptional deal” aimed at getting the truce back on track.

According to The Associated Press, a senior Hamas official said long-delayed talks over the ceasefire's second phase would need to begin the day of the release and last no longer than 50 days.

Israel would also need to stop barring the entry of humanitarian aid and withdraw from a strategic corridor along Gaza's border with Egypt.

Hamas would also demand the release of more Palestinian prisoners in exchange for hostages, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the closed-door talks.Edan Alexander, 21, who grew up in Tenafly, New Jersey, was abducted from his military base during Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, attack that ignited the war, and is the last living American citizen held in Gaza.

There was no immediate comment from Israel, where government offices were closed for the weekly Sabbath.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office on Friday accused Hamas of “manipulation and psychological warfare” when the offer was initially made, before Hamas spelled out the conditions.

The United States said it presented on Wednesday a proposal to extend the ceasefire a few more weeks as the sides negotiate a permanent truce.

It said Hamas was claiming flexibility in public while privately making “entirely impractical” demands.

Negotiations continued in Egypt after senior Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya arrived in Cairo on Friday. Egypt and Qatar served as key mediators with Hamas in reaching the ceasefire and have continued to host talks aimed at getting it back on track.

There was no immediate comment from the mediators.

Under the ceasefire agreement reached in January, Israel and Hamas were to begin negotiations over a second phase — in which Hamas would release all the remaining hostages in exchange for a lasting truce — in early February, but so far only preparatory talks have been held.

After the first phase ended at the beginning of this month, Israel said it had agreed to a new US proposal in which Hamas would release half the remaining hostages in return for a vague commitment to negotiate a lasting ceasefire. Hamas rejected that offer, accusing Israel of backtracking on the signed agreement and trying to sabotage the truce.

Israel has barred the delivery of food, fuel and other supplies to Gaza's roughly 2 million Palestinians, and cut electricity to the territory, to pressure Hamas to accept the new proposal.

The first phase of the truce, which took hold on Jan. 19, saw the release of 25 Israeli hostages and the bodies of eight more in exchange for nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners. Israeli forces pulled back to a buffer zone along Gaza's border and allowed a surge of humanitarian aid.

An Israeli official said last month that Israel will not withdraw from the so-called Philadelphi corridor, along the Gaza-Egypt border, as called for in the ceasefire agreement. They have cited the need to combat weapons smuggling.



Türkiye Intensifies Steps to Establish Air Base East of Homs

Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 
Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 
TT
20

Türkiye Intensifies Steps to Establish Air Base East of Homs

Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 
Turkish-made Hisar air defense system (Turkish Defense Industries website). 

Türkiye is accelerating preparations to establish an airbase in the city of Palmyra, east of Homs, following an announcement by its Ministry of Defense last week that it is considering a request from the Syrian administration in Damascus to set up a base for training purposes.

Reports indicate that Turkish military convoys carrying equipment entered northern Syria overnight between Tuesday and Wednesday, likely transporting logistical supplies and gear to the “T4” airbase in Palmyra.

The pro-government Turkish newspaper “Türkiye” reported on Wednesday that the country has taken official steps to take control of the Tiyas Military Airbase—also known as Tiyas Airport, T4 Airbase —located near the village of Tiyas, about 60 kilometers east of Palmyra in Homs province.

According to the report, Türkiye plans to establish a multi-layered air defense system at the base, incorporating domestically produced weapons. Additionally, Ankara intends to deploy reconnaissance drones and armed UAVs with advanced strike capabilities. The goal is to enhance the country’s counterterrorism efforts against ISIS while also deterring potential Israeli airstrikes in the region.

Some sources suggest that Türkiye may also consider deploying the Russian S-400 air defense system, which it acquired in the summer of 2019.

Retired Turkish Brigadier General Fahri Erenel stated that Ankara plans to take significant steps in Syria in April. He mentioned that after the collapse of Bashar al-Assad’s regime, a defense agreement was negotiated with the Syrian interim government. Under this agreement, Türkiye would provide air support and military protection to the new Syrian administration.

Israeli Concerns

Israel is deeply concerned about Türkiye’s growing cooperation with Damascus and its efforts to expand its military presence in Syria.

An Israeli security official, speaking to The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday, described the potential establishment of a Turkish military base in Syria as a “possible threat” to Israel. The official, whose name was not disclosed, warned that a Turkish airbase in Syria would undermine Israel’s operational freedom and was therefore something Tel Aviv opposed.

On Friday, the Israeli military announced that it had targeted what it described as “strategic military capabilities” at Syrian army bases in Palmyra and the T4 airbase. The Israeli official indicated that the strike on T4 was a message that Israel would not tolerate any obstacles to its air operations in Syria.