Berri to Asharq Al-Awsat: Israel Luring Lebanon into Normalizing Relations

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri speaks during a parliament session to discuss and approve budget in Beirut, Lebanon September 16, 2022. (Lebanese Parliament/Handout via Reuters)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri speaks during a parliament session to discuss and approve budget in Beirut, Lebanon September 16, 2022. (Lebanese Parliament/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Berri to Asharq Al-Awsat: Israel Luring Lebanon into Normalizing Relations

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri speaks during a parliament session to discuss and approve budget in Beirut, Lebanon September 16, 2022. (Lebanese Parliament/Handout via Reuters)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri speaks during a parliament session to discuss and approve budget in Beirut, Lebanon September 16, 2022. (Lebanese Parliament/Handout via Reuters)

Israel’s retaliation to rockets fired towards it from Lebanon on Saturday is part of its efforts to lure the country into normalizing relations.

Israel is aiming to lure Lebanon towards holding political negotiations in violation of the ceasefire agreement sponsored by the United States and France and which led to the formation of the quintet that is overseeing its implementation.

Lebanon’s parliament Speaker Nabih Berri told Asharq Al-Awsat that the political negotiations and normalization of ties “are out of the question for us.”

The ceasefire agreement enjoys international, Arab and UN backing, he noted. “We are implementing it and respecting it in full. Israel is the one who is obstructing its implementation.”

Moreover, the Lebanese army is fully prepared to complete its deployment south of the Litani River, “but Israel is refusing to withdraw from several areas, which has prevented the military from deploying at the border,” he remarked.

“Hezbollah is committed to the agreement and has not obstructed it. It has withdrawn from areas south of the Litani and has not fired a single shot in six months even though Israel has been repeatedly violating the deal,” he stressed, citing its attacks on the South, Bekaa and border between Lebanon and Syria.

“Hezbollah is refraining from responding to the Israeli violation of the ceasefire and is exercising restraint. It is standing behind the Lebanese state as it implements and consolidates the ceasefire,” Berri told Asharq Al-Awsat.

Meanwhile, Asharq Al-Awsat learned that deputy US envoy to the region Morgan Ortagus is expected to travel to Israel in the coming hours to hold talks with its leaders.

Discussions will involve drafting a roadmap for kicking off the implementation of three issues she had brought up previously related to the release of Lebanese prisoners, withdrawal of Israel from Lebanese territories and demarcation of the border between the countries.

A visit to Beirut hinges on whether she reaches an understanding with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and senior officials on the broad lines of the implementation of the agreement.

Deputy US envoy to the Middle East Morgan Ortagus speaks during a press conference at the presidential palace in Baabda, Lebanon, in February. (Reuters)

Hezbollah’s options

Primitive rockets, “more like sound bombs”, were fired at Israel on Saturday, a Lebanese source told Asharq Al-Awsat. Israel shot them down even before they flew over the border. Even if they had reached their target, they would not have caused any damage.

But Israel chose to retaliate broadly in an attempt to pressure Lebanon into holding direct negotiations with it, the source explained.

Israel doesn’t need an excuse to justify its violations against Lebanon. It used the rocket fire to continue to assassinate Hezbollah members who are still on its list of targets, it added.

Moreover, the source dismissed claimed that the broad Israeli response was aimed at warning Hezbollah against again resorting to opening a support front in the South in solidarity with Gaza and the Houthis in Yemen.

Hezbollah has no intention to reignite the conflict in the South, stressed the source. It is too busy still assessing the consequences of its decision to open the support front for Gaza in October 2023 that led to the war with Israel last year.

The Iran-backed party is still assessing how Israel managed to assassinate its top political and military leaders, continued the source.

Hezbollah officials’ continued commitment to the “army, people and resistance” equation is nothing more than a political slogan that carries no weight as long as the party continues to stand behind the state, which is banking on diplomacy to consolidate the ceasefire, it said.

Furthermore, Hezbollah has to also take into consideration the sentiment among its own Shiite popular base, many of whom have been unable to return to their destroyed villages on the border with Israel, it remarked.

In addition, Hezbollah no longer has the military capabilities that could allow it to open the southern front against Israel yet again, the source went on to say.

So, the party has no choice but to realistically approach the situation in the South, steering clear of populist slogans, and taking into account the massive imbalance in power with Israel.

Hezbollah effectively can no longer ignore the international community’s insistence that it lay down its weapons and limit their possession to the state. The international community did not once condemn Israel for its retaliation to Saturday’s rocket fire, noted the source.

The party will have no choice but to opt for diplomacy - led by President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam - to make Israel withdraw from remaining Lebanese territories.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.