Sharaa in First Interview with Jewish Newspaper: Stable Syria Will Not be Built Through Speeches, Slogans

Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 
Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 
TT

Sharaa in First Interview with Jewish Newspaper: Stable Syria Will Not be Built Through Speeches, Slogans

Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 
Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa speaks in Damascus last February (AFP) 

Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa broke all barriers that surrounded ousted President Bashar al-Assad, when he spoke last week about his responsibilities and about Syria’s domestic and foreign policy.

He is direct in addressing taboo issues that were previously tackled with slogans in public and a different reality under the table, such as Syria’s relationship with Israel and the latter’s occupation of Syrian territory.

Legacy of Assad Regime

The last barrier Sharaa broke was an interview he made with a Jewish newspaper, the first since assuming power six months ago. The article, written by Jonathan Bass, was published by the Jewish Journal on May 28.

“Many Syrians see Sharaa not as a revolutionary but as a restorer, someone capable of stitching together a nation fatigued by war and fractured by identity. It is perhaps his very ordinariness, his refusal to play the strongman, despite his extremist former life, that makes him a man of the hour,” the Journal wrote.

Bass said the Syrian President carries himself with quiet conviction. “Sharaa is soft-spoken, but every word lands with deliberation. There is no triumph in his voice, only urgency,” he wrote.

In the interview, Sharaa said, “We have inherited more than ruins,” he said. “We’ve inherited trauma, mistrust, and fatigue. But we have also inherited hope. Fragile, yes, but real.”

For decades, Syria was ruled by a regime that confused loyalty with silence, coexistence with hate, and stability with suppression.

The Assad dynasty, first Hafez and then Bashar, ruled with an iron grip, using fear and executions to cement control, while the country’s institutions withered and dissent turned deadly.

Bass said Sharaa is clear-eyed about the legacy he inherits.

“It would be dishonest to speak of a clean slate,” Sharaa said. “The past is present, in the eyes of every person, on every street, in every family. But our duty now is not to repeat it. Not even as a softer version. We must create something entirely new.”

Trust of Syrians

According to Bass, Sharaa’s early moves have been cautious, yet deeply symbolic.

“He has ordered the release of political prisoners, initiated dialogue with opposition groups once exiled or silenced, and pledged to reform Syria’s notorious security apparatus,” he wrote at the Jewish Journal.

“His vision is that of a vibrant, multicultural, and pluralistic society. He supports the right of return for all Syrians whose assets were seized under the Assad regime,” Bass added.

“To uncover the truth behind Syria’s mass graves, Sharaa recognizes the need for partnership with the United States to provide forensic technology and equipment, from establishing DNA databases to securing cooperation from those responsible for past atrocities,” the journalist wrote.

Sharaa told the Journal, “If I am the only one speaking, then Syria has learned nothing. We are inviting all voices to the table, secular, religious, tribal, academic, rural, and urban. The state must listen now more than it commands.”

But will people trust again? Will they believe the promises of a government that rises from the ashes of dictatorship?

“I don’t ask for trust,” he replied. “I ask for patience and for scrutiny. Hold me accountable. Hold this process accountable. That is how trust will come.”

When Bass asked the president what Syrians most need right now, he answered without hesitation: “Dignity through work. Peace through purpose.”

In towns emptied by war and villages still scarred by conflict, the cry is not for politics but for normalcy, the chance to rebuild homes, raise children, and earn a living in peace.

Sharaa knows this, Bass wrote. He is pushing for emergency economic programs focused on job creation in agriculture, manufacturing, construction, and public services.

“It’s not about ideology anymore,” Sharaa told the Journal. “It’s about giving people a reason to stay, a reason to live, and a reason to believe.”

The Syrian President said, “Every young man with a job is one less soul at risk of radicalization. Every child in school is a vote for the future.”

He then emphasized partnerships with regional investors, microenterprise grants for returnees, and vocational training for youth who have known nothing but war.

“A stable Syria will not be built through speeches or slogans, it will be built through action: in the marketplace, in classrooms, on farms, and in workshops. We will rebuild supply chains. Syria will return as a hub for trade and commerce.”

Relations with Israel

Bass wrote there’s a deeper insight behind Sharaa’s economic vision: after a generation of loss, Syrians are tired of conflict. They crave peace, not just the absence of war, but the presence of opportunity.

In one of the more delicate parts of our conversation, Sharaa addressed Syria’s future relationship with Israel - a subject that has haunted the region since 1948 and intensified with each airstrike, covert operation, and accusation of proxy warfare.

“I want to be clear,” Sharaa said. “The era of endless tit-for-tat bombings must end. No nation prospers when its skies are filled with fear. The reality is, we have common enemies, and we can play a major role in regional security.”

He expressed a desire to return to the spirit of the 1974 Disengagement Agreement not merely as a ceasefire line, but as the foundation for mutual restraint and protection of civilians, especially the Druze communities in southern Syria and the Golan Heights.

“Syria’s Druze are not pawns,” he said. “They are citizens, deeply rooted, historically loyal, and deserving of every protection under the law. Their safety is non-negotiable.”

While he stopped short of proposing immediate normalization, Sharaa signaled openness to future talks grounded in international law and sovereignty.

Trump: Man of Peace

Perhaps most notably, Sharaa voiced a bold diplomatic overture: his desire to sit down directly with former US President Donald Trump, Bass wrote.

“However the media portrays him,” Sharaa said, “I see him as a man of peace. We’ve both been shot at by the same enemy. Trump understands leverage, strength, and outcomes. Syria needs an honest broker who can reset the conversation. If there is a possibility of alignment that helps bring stability to the region - and security to the US and its allies- I am ready to have that conversation. He is the only man capable of fixing this region, bringing us together, one brick at a time.”

Commenting on Sharaa’s statement, Bass said it was “striking”, not just for its candor, but for what it implied: the new Syria is not afraid to make unconventional moves in pursuit of peace and recognition.

Sharaa does not sugarcoat Syria’s challenges: more than a million dead in mass graves, 12 million displaced, an economy on life support, sanctions still in place, and rival militias entrenched in the north.

“This is not a fairy tale,” he said. “It is a recovery. And recoveries are painful.”

 



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.