Saudi Energy Minister: OPEC+ to Do Whatever Necessary to Support Oil Market

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman (SPA)
TT

Saudi Energy Minister: OPEC+ to Do Whatever Necessary to Support Oil Market

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman (SPA)
Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman (SPA)

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said OPEC+ would do whatever is necessary to support the oil market.

The Minister was speaking on the sidelines of the 8th OPEC International Seminar in Vienna on Wednesday.

On Monday, Saudi Arabia said it would extend the one million-barrel-per-day (bpd) production cut it had initially flagged for July into August, while Russia announced a 500,000-bpd decline in exports next month.

The Minister said Saudi Arabia makes voluntary cuts "because there was another, more urgent demand from the market, or another, more necessary expectation that OPEC + should act."

"If we want to be fair to everyone and if we want everyone to work together, we have to make sure that they maintain their focus on the most important topics and long-term issues. Deviating attention to another issue will lead to imbalances, which is why we chose to take this job on a provisional basis," he said.

The Minister noted that in June 2020, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, and Oman made a voluntary contribution for a month and voluntary reduction that began in February 2021 and lasted for three months.

"We made by gradually easing this reduction until July 2021."

"I ask you where we would have been today had it not been taken these steps at the time. I have reassured the market that there is a necessity for this position," he added.

Prince Abdulaziz explained that Russia's reduction was voluntary, pointing out that the simultaneous decrease in supply by the Kingdom and Russia shows the strong cooperation between the two nations.

"Russia's oil cut is meaningful because it affects exports," he said.

The Minister said that Saudi Arabia is no longer playing the role of a heavyweight producer, but instead, OPEC + plays this role.

He added that enhancing transparency depends on seven independent external bodies accredited to follow up on the countries' production in the oil cut agreement.

A recent report from the International Energy Agency (IEA) indicated that Russia did not comply with production cuts during May, and the Saudi Energy Minister warned that the data could disrupt the market.

In turn, UAE Energy Minister Suhail al-Mazrouei stressed that oil-producing countries have a more comprehensive view of the market and present a realistic outlook of the supply-demand balance.

Mazrouei explained that the periodic meetings of OPEC and OPEC+ help limit fluctuations and restore market balance and stability through cooperation and joint efforts, especially as OPEC and OPEC+ member countries account for around 40 percent of the global oil output.

"We are constantly working to monitor markets and relevant shifts to ensure taking timely and effective measures, which help boost stability across the market and drive economic development worldwide," Mazrouei added in a statement carried by WAM news agency.

He promised that the additional oil production and export cuts announced by Saudi Arabia and Russia earlier this week would help balance the market.

The total production cuts currently amount to more than 5 million bpd, or the equivalent of five percent of global oil production of about 100 million bpd.

Aramco CEO, Amin al-Nasser, pointed out that the corrective measures taken by Saudi Arabia will impact in the coming months, announcing plans to increase gas production by 50 to 60 percent by 2030.

Also at the conference, the OPEC Secretary-General, Haitham al-Ghais, said that the organization is keen on stabilizing the market, reducing the environmental footprint, and moving towards a sustainable and comprehensive energy transition.

In his welcome speech at the conference, Ghais added that "sustainability" revolves mainly around balance and meeting current generations' needs without compromising that of future generations.

He reviewed the importance of oil in global energy, the industry's primary role in reducing carbon emissions, and OPEC's efforts to achieve market stability, reduce the environmental footprint, and move towards a sustainable and comprehensive energy transition.



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.