US Lays Out Plan at COP28 to Slash Climate ‘Super Pollutant’ from Oil and Gas

 Michael Regan, administrator of the US Environmental Protection Agency, speaks at the US Center at the COP28 UN Climate Summit, Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (AP)
Michael Regan, administrator of the US Environmental Protection Agency, speaks at the US Center at the COP28 UN Climate Summit, Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (AP)
TT
20

US Lays Out Plan at COP28 to Slash Climate ‘Super Pollutant’ from Oil and Gas

 Michael Regan, administrator of the US Environmental Protection Agency, speaks at the US Center at the COP28 UN Climate Summit, Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (AP)
Michael Regan, administrator of the US Environmental Protection Agency, speaks at the US Center at the COP28 UN Climate Summit, Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (AP)

The Biden administration on Saturday unveiled final rules aimed at cracking down on US oil and gas industry releases of methane, part of a global plan to rein in emissions that contribute to climate change.

The rules, two years in the making, were announced by US officials at the United Nations COP28 climate change conference in Dubai. The United States and other nations attending the summit were expected to detail how they will achieve a 150-country pledge made two years ago to slash methane emissions by 30% from 2020 levels by 2030.

Methane tends to leak into the atmosphere undetected from drill sites, gas pipelines and other oil and gas equipment. It has more warming potential than carbon dioxide and breaks down in the atmosphere faster, so reining in methane emissions can have a more immediate impact on limiting climate change.

"On day one, President Biden restored America's critical role as the global leader in confronting climate change, and today we've backed up that commitment with strong action," US Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Michael Regan said in a statement.

EPA's new policies would ban routine flaring of natural gas produced by newly drilled oil wells, require oil companies to monitor for leaks from well sites and compressor stations and establishes a program to use third party remote sensing to detect large methane releases from so-called "super emitters," the agency said in a statement.

The rules would prevent an estimated 58 million tons of methane from reaching the atmosphere between 2024 and 2038 -- nearly the equivalent of all the carbon dioxide emissions from the power sector in the year 2021, EPA added.

Environmental groups praised the rules.

"Strong methane standards are essential to curb climate pollution and better protect the health and safety of workers and communities living near fossil fuel extraction," Earthjustice's vice president of litigation for climate and energy, Jill Tauber, said in a statement.

The rule will produce climate and health benefits of up to $7.6 billion a year through 2038, EPA said. It will also increase recovery of up to $13 billion of natural gas over the time period.

The rule differs somewhat from draft proposals EPA released in 2021 and 2022, in part by giving the industry more time to comply.

The agency also tweaked the Super Emitter Program so that third parties send information on methane leaks to EPA directly for verification. Previously they would have been able to send the information directly to companies, a provision the oil and gas industry said would put too much power in the hands of environmental groups that search for methane leaks.

The American Petroleum Institute, an oil and gas industry trade group, said it was reviewing the rule.

"To be truly effective, this rule must balance emissions reductions with the need to continue meeting rising energy demand," Dustin Meyer, API senior vice president of policy, economics and regulatory affairs, said in a statement.



Egypt Makes Progress in its Nuclear Energy Project

Construction work at the El-Dabaa nuclear power plant. (Egyptian Nuclear Power Plants Authority)
Construction work at the El-Dabaa nuclear power plant. (Egyptian Nuclear Power Plants Authority)
TT
20

Egypt Makes Progress in its Nuclear Energy Project

Construction work at the El-Dabaa nuclear power plant. (Egyptian Nuclear Power Plants Authority)
Construction work at the El-Dabaa nuclear power plant. (Egyptian Nuclear Power Plants Authority)

Egypt has reported significant progress in the construction of the El-Dabaa nuclear power plant in the country’s northwest, a project being developed in cooperation with Russia. The government announced on Tuesday that more than 20% of the project has been completed.

Egypt and Russia signed a cooperation agreement on November 19, 2015, to establish the nuclear power station at a cost of $25 billion, funded through a Russian government loan. The final agreements for El-Dabaa were signed in December 2017.

The plant will consist of four nuclear reactors with a total generation capacity of 4,800 megawatts, each producing 1,200 megawatts. The first reactor is scheduled to begin operations in 2028, with the remaining units coming online gradually as part of Egypt’s energy mix.

In its quarterly performance report, the Egyptian government stated that the project aligns with efforts to expand the peaceful use of nuclear energy within the national power grid.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi emphasized in November the importance of executing energy projects efficiently and on schedule, calling them a pillar of Egypt’s development strategy. He underscored the need to adhere to the project timeline while ensuring the highest standards of execution and workforce training.

Also in November, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly reaffirmed Egypt’s commitment to the project, stating that El-Dabaa would enhance renewable energy capacity and stabilize the national power grid.

In early March, Russia’s Atomstroyexport announced that construction on the second reactor at El-Dabaa had progressed ahead of schedule. According to the Egyptian Nuclear Power Plants Authority, the second tier of the inner containment structure had been installed at the reactor building.

Egypt experienced widespread power outages last summer, which ended in late July after securing sufficient fuel supplies for its power plants.

The El-Dabaa project is part of Egypt’s strategy to diversify its energy sources, generate electricity to meet domestic demand, and reduce reliance on imported gas and other fuels.

On Tuesday, the government also announced an additional 200 megawatts of private-sector solar power capacity as part of its efforts to expand renewable energy. Officials said the move would support energy diversification and advance the country’s sustainable development strategy.