EU Slaps Chinese Electric Cars with Tariffs of up to 38%

A European Commission probe launched last year concluded that state subsidies for Chinese EV manufacturers were unfairly undercutting European rivals © STR / AFP/File
A European Commission probe launched last year concluded that state subsidies for Chinese EV manufacturers were unfairly undercutting European rivals © STR / AFP/File
TT

EU Slaps Chinese Electric Cars with Tariffs of up to 38%

A European Commission probe launched last year concluded that state subsidies for Chinese EV manufacturers were unfairly undercutting European rivals © STR / AFP/File
A European Commission probe launched last year concluded that state subsidies for Chinese EV manufacturers were unfairly undercutting European rivals © STR / AFP/File

The European Union on Thursday slapped extra provisional duties of up to 38 percent on Chinese electric car imports because of Beijing's "unfair" support, a move that risks escalating tensions with Beijing.
A European Commission probe launched last year concluded that state subsidies for Chinese EV manufacturers were unfairly undercutting European rivals -- which Brussels wants to shield as they make the transition from thermal to electric power, AFP reported.

The Chinese Chamber of Commerce to the EU slammed the tariffs, coming on top of current import duties of 10 percent, as "politically-motivated" and "protectionist", while voicing hope the dispute could yet be resolved through dialogue.

Europeans are split on the move, with Germany and its homegrown auto champions, who do significant trade with China, fearing it will do more harm than good if it leads to a clampdown on EU exports as Beijing has already threatened.

German auto giant Volkswagen slammed the move as "detrimental" while the head of BMW said the tariff battle "leads to a dead end".

France and Italy have pushed for tariffs on Chinese EVs -- whose EU market share has skyrocketed -- but Sweden like Germany has expressed reservations, while Hungary is outright opposed.

The provisional tariffs kick in from Friday, with definitive duties to take effect in November for a five-year period, pending a vote by the EU's 27 states.

"Our investigation... concluded that the battery electric vehicles produced in China benefit from unfair subsidisation, which is causing a threat of economic injury to the EU's own electric car makers," the EU's trade chief Valdis Dombrovskis said.

In response, the commission imposed provisional duties on major Chinese manufacturers including 17.4 percent for market major BYD, 19.9 percent for Geely and 37.6 percent for SAIC.

Other producers in China that cooperated with Brussels will face a tariff of 20.8 percent, while those that did not would be subject to the maximum 37.6 percent duty.

US tech billionaire Elon Musk's Tesla -- which manufactures in China -- is the only electric automaker to have asked Brussels for its own duty rate, to be calculated based on evidence it has submitted.

The Tesla Model 3 would be affected as well as the electric Mini, the Volvo EX40 and all other non-Chinese branded cars made in China.
The move comes despite the opening of talks between Chinese and EU trade officials, and trade chief Dombrovskis said Brussels will continue "to engage intensively with China on a mutually acceptable solution".

China's electric car maker Nio said it still hoped for a resolution with the EU, while fellow EV maker XPeng said it would "find ways to minimise the impact on consumers" without changing its international strategy.

EU officials have indicated that, should a negotiated solution emerge, they may not ultimately need to levy the tariffs.

But Dombrovskis cautioned that "any negotiated outcome to our investigation must clearly and fully address EU concerns and be in respect of WTO rules."

Cui Dongshu, secretary-general of the China Passenger Car Association, told AFP the move "would obviously have a negative impact on the development of China's EV industry, especially its development in the EU in the short term."

Beijing has already signalled its readiness to retaliate by launching an anti-dumping probe last month into pork imports, and Chinese media suggest further probes could be in the works.
The United States has already hiked customs duties on Chinese electric cars to 100 percent, while Canada is considering similar action.

But Brussels faces a delicate balancing act as it seeks to defend Europe's auto industry -- the jewel in its industrial crown -- while both avoiding a damaging showdown with China and meeting its targets for slashing carbon emissions.

The EU aims for Europeans to switch massively to electric vehicles as it plans to outlaw the sale of new fossil fuel-powered cars from 2035.

Chinese-made EVs' market share in the EU climbed from around three percent to more than 20 percent in the past three years, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers' Association.

Chinese brands account for around eight percent of that share, it said.

Germany's Kiel Institute for the World Economy, alongside Austrian institutes, predicted the provisional higher taxes would reduce vehicle imports from China by 42 percent.

Electric car prices could rise by an average of 0.3 to 0.9 percent in the EU, they added.

German auto manufacturers fear any retaliation could hurt their activities in China.

Duties were "generally not suitable for strengthening the competitiveness of the European automotive industry in the long term -- we reject them", Volkswagen said.



Dammam Airport Launches Saudi Arabia’s First Category III Automatic Landing System  

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
TT

Dammam Airport Launches Saudi Arabia’s First Category III Automatic Landing System  

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)
Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of the Eastern Region, inaugurates the General Aviation Terminal and the upgraded automatic landing system at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam. (SPA)

Prince Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Governor of Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Region, inaugurated on Monday two major aviation projects at King Fahd International Airport in Dammam: a dedicated General Aviation Terminal for private flights and the Kingdom’s first Category III Instrument Landing System (ILS), which enables fully automatic aircraft landings in low-visibility conditions.

The ceremony was attended by Minister of Transport and Logistics Services and Chairman of the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) Saleh bin Nasser Al-Jasser and President of GACA and Chairman of the Saudi Airports Holding Company Abdulaziz bin Abdullah Al-Duailej.

Prince Saud said the projects represent a qualitative leap in strengthening the aviation ecosystem in the Eastern Region, boosting the airport’s operational readiness and its regional and international competitiveness.

The introduction of a Category III automatic landing system for the first time in Saudi Arabia reflects the advanced technological progress achieved by the national aviation sector and its commitment to the highest international standards, he stressed.

The General Aviation Terminal marks a significant upgrade to airport infrastructure. Spanning more than 23,000 square meters, the facility is designed to ensure efficient operations and fast passenger processing.

The main terminal covers 3,935 square meters, while aircraft parking areas extend over 12,415 square meters with capacity to accommodate four aircraft simultaneously. An additional 6,665 square meters are allocated to support services and car parking, improving traffic flow and delivering a premium travel experience for private aviation users.

The upgraded Category III ILS, considered among the world’s most advanced air navigation systems, allows aircraft to land automatically during poor visibility, ensuring flight continuity while enhancing safety and operational efficiency.

The project includes rehabilitation of the western runway, extending 4,000 meters, along with a further 4,000 meters of aircraft service roads. More than 3,200 lighting units have been installed under an integrated advanced system to meet modern operational requirements and support all aircraft types.

Al-Jasser said the inauguration of the two projects translates the objectives of the Aviation Program under the National Transport and Logistics Strategy into concrete achievements.

The developments bolster airport capacity and efficiency, support the sustainability of the aviation sector, and strengthen the competitiveness of Saudi airports, he added.

Al-Duailej, for his part, said the initiatives align with Saudi Vision 2030 by positioning the Kingdom as a global logistics hub and a leading aviation center in the Middle East.

The new terminal reflects high standards of privacy and efficiency for general aviation users, he remarked, noting the selection of Universal Aviation as operator of the general aviation terminals in Dammam and Jeddah.

Dammam Airports Company operates three airports in the Eastern Region: King Fahd International Airport, Al-Ahsa International Airport, and Qaisumah International Airport.


Saudi Arabia to Launch Real Estate Indicators, Expand ‘Market Balance’ Program Nationwide

The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
TT

Saudi Arabia to Launch Real Estate Indicators, Expand ‘Market Balance’ Program Nationwide

The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 
The Minister of Municipalities and Housing addresses attendees during the government press conference (Asharq Al-Awsat). 

Saudi Arabia will roll out real estate market indicators in the first quarter of this year and expand the Real Estate Market Balance program to all regions of the Kingdom, following its initial implementation in Riyadh, Minister of Municipalities and Housing Majed Al-Hogail announced on Monday.

Al-Hogail, who also chairs the General Real Estate Authority, made the remarks during a government press conference in Riyadh attended by Minister of Media Salman Al-Dossary, President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) Abdullah Alghamdi, and other senior officials.

Al-Hogail said the housing and social ecosystem now includes more than 313 non-profit organizations supported by over 345,000 volunteers working alongside the public and private sectors.

He highlighted tangible outcomes, including housing assistance for 106,000 social security beneficiaries and the prevention of housing loss in 200,000 cases.

Development Initiatives

He noted that the non-profit sector is driving impact through more than 300 development initiatives and over 1,000 services, while empowering 100 non-profit entities and activating supervisory units across 17 municipalities.

Among key programs, Al-Hogail highlighted the Rental Support Program, which assisted more than 6,600 families last year, expanding the reach of housing aid.

He also traced the growth of the “Jood Eskan” initiative, which began by supporting 100 families and has since evolved into a nationwide program that has provided homes to more than 50,000 families across the Kingdom.

Since its launch, the initiative has attracted more than 4.5 million donors, with total contributions exceeding SAR 5 billion ($1.3 billion) since 2021.

Al-Hogail added that the introduction of electronic signatures has reduced the homeownership process from 14 days to just two.

In 2025 alone, more than 150,000 digital transactions were completed, and the needs of over 400,000 beneficiary families were assessed through integrated national databases. A mobile application for “Jood Eskan” is currently being deployed to further streamline services.

International Support and Economic Growth

Minister of Media Salman Al-Dossary said the Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen launched 28 new development projects and initiatives worth SAR 1.9 billion ($506.6 million), including fuel grants for power generation and support for health, energy, education, and transport sectors across Yemeni governorates.

He also reported strong growth in the communications and information technology sector, which created more than 406,000 jobs by the end of 2025, up from 250,000 in 2018, an 80 percent cumulative increase. The sector’s market size reached nearly SAR 190 billion ($50.6 billion) in 2025.

Industry, Localization, and Philanthropy

In the industrial sector, investments exceeded SAR 9 billion ($2.4 billion), alongside five new renewable energy projects signed under the sixth phase of the National Renewable Energy Program.

Industrial and logistics investments worth more than SAR 8.8 billion ($2.34 billion) were also signed by the Saudi Authority for Industrial Cities and Technology Zones.

Al-Dossary said the Kingdom now hosts nearly 30,000 operating industrial facilities with total investments of about SAR 1.2 trillion ($320 billion), while the Saudi Export-Import Bank has provided SAR 115 billion ($30.6 billion) in credit facilities since its establishment.

On workforce development, nearly 100,000 social security beneficiaries were empowered through employment, training, and productive projects by late 2025, with localization rates in several specialized professions reaching as high as 70 percent.

Alghamdi said total donations through the “Ehsan” platform have reached SAR 14 billion ($3.7 billion) across 330 million transactions, reflecting the rapid growth of digital philanthropy in the Kingdom.


China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
TT

China's Russian Oil Imports to Hit New Record in February as India Cuts Back

Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 
Oil tankers are seen at a terminal of Sinopec Yaogang oil depot in Nantong, Jiangsu province, China (Reuters) 

China's Russian oil imports are set to climb for a third straight month to a new record high in February as independent refiners snapped up deeply discounted cargoes after India slashed purchases, according to traders and ship-tracking data.

Russian crude shipments are estimated to amount to 2.07 million barrels per day for February deliveries into China, surpassing January's estimated rate of 1.7 million bpd, an early assessment by Vortexa Analytics shows.

Kpler's provisional data showed February imports at 2.083 million bpd, up from 1.718 million bpd in January, according to Reuters.

China has since November replaced India as Moscow's top client for seaborne shipments as Western sanctions over the war in Ukraine and pressure to clinch a trade deal with the US forced New Delhi to scale back Russian oil imports to a two-year low in December.

India's Russian crude imports are estimated to fall further to 1.159 million bpd in February, Kpler data showed.

Independent Chinese refiners, known as teapots, are the world's largest consumers of US sanctioned oil from Russia, Iran and Venezuela.

“For the quality you get from processing Russian oil versus Iranian, Russian supplies have become relatively more competitive,” said a senior Chinese trader who regularly deals with teapots.

ESPO blend last traded at $8 to $9 a barrel discounts to ICE Brent for March deliveries, while Iranian Light, a grade of similar quality, was last assessed at $10 to $11 below ICE Brent, the trader added.

Uncertainty since January over whether the US would launch military strikes on Iran if negotiations for a nuclear deal failed to yield Washington's desired results curbed buying from Chinese teapots and traders, said Emma Li, Vortexa's China analyst.

“For teapots, Russian oil looks more reliable now as people are worried about loadings of Iranian oil in case of a military confrontation,” Li said.

Part of the elevated Russian oil purchases came from larger independent refiners outside the teapot hub of Shandong, Li added.

Vortexa estimated Iranian oil deliveries into China – often banded by traders as Malaysian to circumvent US sanctions - eased to 1.03 million bpd this month, down from January's 1.25 million bpd.