Saudi Arabia Hopes Parties to Sudan Conflict will Adhere to Jeddah Declaration

Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the Jeddah Agreement in May 2023 (Reuters)
Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the Jeddah Agreement in May 2023 (Reuters)
TT

Saudi Arabia Hopes Parties to Sudan Conflict will Adhere to Jeddah Declaration

Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the Jeddah Agreement in May 2023 (Reuters)
Representatives of the two parties to the Sudanese conflict during the signing of the Jeddah Agreement in May 2023 (Reuters)

The two parties to the conflict in Sudan have resumed their negotiations in the Saudi city of Jeddah, with the aim of ending the war that has been ongoing for more than six months, and which has claimed the lives of thousands and caused the displacement of millions of citizens.

Since April 15, the conflict between the army, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and his former deputy, commander of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, has led to the death of more than 9,000 people, according to the United Nations figures, and the displacement of more than 5.6 million people inside the country or in neighboring states.

In a statement, the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that Riyadh welcomes the resumption of talks between representatives of the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces in Jeddah, facilitated by Saudi Arabia and the United States. On Wednesday, both parties to the conflict confirmed their acceptance of an invitation to restart negotiations, but the army stressed that this move “does not mean stopping the battle for national dignity.”

The RSF expressed hope that the delegation representing the other side “has come to Jeddah united and independent from the dictates of the National Congress Party (the ruling party during the era of former President Omar al-Bashir).”

So far, all mediation attempts, including US-Saudi endeavor, have not succeeded in achieving any progress on the path to stopping the war, but only led to short ceasefire periods.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry said that the Kingdom urges the negotiators to abide by the Jeddah Declaration, which was announced on May 11 to protect civilians, as well as a short-term ceasefire agreement signed on May 20.

“The Kingdom affirms its keenness on unity of ranks ... to stop the bloodshed and alleviate the suffering of the Sudanese people,” the statement added.

Representatives of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) in Eastern Africa, which is led by Kenya, are also participating in the Jeddah negotiations.

Kholood Khair, founder of the Confluence Advisory Research Center in Khartoum, believes that the two sides of the conflict were not yet satisfied with the war. On Thursday, she wrote on X (formerly known as Twitter) that the decision to revive the talks was based on the assumption that the army and the Rapid Support Forces had had enough of fighting due to the imminent collapse of the state, suffering and misery.

She added that the two sides were not yet satisfied, as neither of them cared about the human costs of waging this war.

As the talks resumed on Thursday, eyewitnesses reported fighting in El-Fasher, the capital of North Darfur state. The RSF announced that its fighters had “completely” taken control of the army positions in Nyala, the capital of South Darfur, and the second largest city in Sudan in terms of population, which may constitute a turning point in the war.

The army was able to protect its main bases in Khartoum, despite the deployment of the RSF in most parts of the capital. At the same time, the government moved most of its headquarters to Port Sudan, on the Red Sea coast.



Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.