European Countries Prepared to Recognize Palestinian State amid Ongoing Saudi Pressure

The United States vetoed last week a United Nations Security Council resolution that recommended Palestine's full membership in the world body. (AFP)
The United States vetoed last week a United Nations Security Council resolution that recommended Palestine's full membership in the world body. (AFP)
TT

European Countries Prepared to Recognize Palestinian State amid Ongoing Saudi Pressure

The United States vetoed last week a United Nations Security Council resolution that recommended Palestine's full membership in the world body. (AFP)
The United States vetoed last week a United Nations Security Council resolution that recommended Palestine's full membership in the world body. (AFP)

Secretary General of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization Hussein al-Sheikh stressed that several countries, specifically European ones, have changed their positions and are willing to recognize an independent Palestinian state “as soon as possible.”

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he said this stance will push forward the implementation of the two-state solution in line with international law.

On Monday, Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah had shed light on the diplomatic pressure the Kingdom has been exerting to reach international recognition of an independent Palestinian state.

He made his remarks at the High-Level Forum on Regional Security and Cooperation between the European Union (EU) and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) in Luxembourg that was held days after the United States vetoed a United Nations Security Council resolution that recommended Palestine's full membership in the world body. The veto angered the Palestinians and sparked wide Arab criticism.

Nevertheless, Prince Faisal spoke on Monday of “very significant” changes in Europe in regard to more countries leaning towards recognizing a Palestinian state.

He added that the EU and GCC meeting was an opportunity to further push towards that goal.

Saudi Arabia has declared that recognizing a Palestinian state and ending the war on Gaza must come first before any agreement with the US that includes normalizing relations with Israel.

It underlined this position in February in wake of remarks by White House National Security spokesperson John Kirby.

In a statement, the Saudi Foreign Ministry said it told Washington it will not open diplomatic relations with Israel unless an independent Palestinian state is recognized on 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital and Israel ends its war on Gaza and withdraws all of its forces from the enclave.

Riyadh reiterated its call for permanent members of the UN Security Council that have not recognized a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital to do so.

An Arab source revealed to Asharq Al-Awsat that the foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, and Al-Sheikh will hold a meeting with the EU next week to discuss the recognition of a Palestinians state. They will also hold an Arab consultative meeting and a meeting with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

A spokesperson for the Saudi embassy in the US told CNN on Wednesday that the country’s position is that establishing relations with Israel is contingent on ending the war in Gaza, recognition of a Palestinian state and establishing an irrevocable and irreversible pathway towards a two-state solution and establishing a Palestinian state.

Regarding a timetable, the Kingdom is working diligently to achieve these goals as soon as possible, the spokesperson said, according to CNN.

Saudi weight

Al-Sheikh told Asharq Al-Awsat that Saudi Arabia’s political activity related to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict stems from the Kingdom’s firm, clear and unyielding position in support of the Palestinian people’s legitimate rights.

“Riyadh is employing its Arab, Islamic and international weight through calm diplomacy and in partnership with brothers in the Arab world and friends around the world to mobilize all this activity to isolate Israel and condemn its behavior, on the one hand, and support Palestinian rights on the other,” he added.

The priority at the moment lies in ending Israel’s “criminal war in Gaza and the West Bank and ensuring the withdrawal of its forces,” he stated.

He revealed that a political plan is in place, and it has received near international consensus. The plan is based on international resolutions and laws that would end the Israeli occupation and lead to the establishment of an independent Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital.

“We are witnessing successive accomplishments on all regional and international levels in wake of Saudi Arabia’s spearheading of this political activity,” he said.

European shift

Furthermore, Al-Sheikh noted the “major shift” in the positions of several countries towards the Palestinians. Many countries, specifically European ones, are ready to recognize an independent Palestinian state as soon as possible.

This favors the two-state solution, he stressed.

Since the eruption of the conflict in Gaza in October, the US has stressed its support to the two-state solution, and yet, it still used its veto against the Security Council resolution on Palestine’s full membership at the UN.

Al-Sheikh said this position is the “greatest evidence of the United States’ isolation.” He slammed it for “flagrantly” using its veto against international will, but “people and countries all over the world support the Palestinian people’s legitimate rights and struggle for freedom and independence.”

In addition, he remarked that the American veto helped “bolster the conviction of several countries of the need to speed up the recognition of a Palestinian state and grant it full UN membership.”

“The world is aware of the oppression and injustice suffered by the Palestinian people and the cover the US is granting the Israeli occupation in its aggression against our people,” he went on to say.

Meanwhile, chairman of the Gulf Research Center Abdulaziz bin Sager said: “Saudi Arabia was leading intense diplomatic efforts to persuade the greatest number of European countries to recognize a Palestinian state without waiting for the UN will do so.”

He said it is pursuing recognition on a bilateral level because the recognition of Palestine at the UN is unlikely to happen any time soon.

He stressed the importance of the recognition, saying it will pave the way for the implementation of the two-state solution and send a message to Israel to change its practices. It also gives hope to the Palestinians and would help ensure the success of peace efforts in the region.

In the meantime, dialogue will continue between the Americans and concerned Arab countries over their vision to end the war on Gaza and the establishment of a Palestinian state, he added.

Jamaica’s Foreign Minister Kamina Johnson Smith announced on Wednesday that her country was recognizing the state of Palestine, making it the 142nd country to do so.

Also on Wednesday, Irish FM Micheal Martin said his country was working with its partner countries in the EU to recognize the state of Palestine.

Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said on Thursday that Madrid was committed to recognizing the state of Palestine, adding that the two-state solution was the only way to achieve peace and security in the region.



Iraq Vows No Leniency with Parties Harming Ties with Saudi Arabia

Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)
Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)
TT

Iraq Vows No Leniency with Parties Harming Ties with Saudi Arabia

Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)
Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi. (INA)

Iraq said it was ready to cooperate fully in verifying any information about an attack on Saudi Arabia that was launched from its territory, renewing its condemnation of the incident and vowing measures to prevent any breach of Iraqi sovereignty.

The Iraqi government’s latest condemnation came a day after the Foreign Ministry denounced the attacks on the Kingdom, in what observers said signaled Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi’s new government was keen to protect ties with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states.

Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry said on Sunday it had intercepted and destroyed three drones after they entered the Kingdom’s airspace from Iraq.

Iraqi government spokesman Bassem al-Awadi renewed Baghdad’s condemnation on Tuesday, saying Iraq “reaffirms its firm and historic position in support of distinguished and lasting relations with brotherly and friendly countries of the region, its commitment to the security of Arab states, the importance of supporting stability, all efforts to ease tensions, and preventing attacks, whatever their source.”

“The Iraqi government condemns the recent drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia and affirms its continued joint efforts to strengthen regional security and safeguard the security and sovereignty of countries in the region,” he said.

Awadi repeated that the military authorities did not detect or record any activity from the country’s airspace, stressing, however, that Iraqi institutions were fully ready “to cooperate in verifying any information related to the circumstances of the attack that targeted the Kingdom.”

He stressed Iraq’s “categorical rejection of the use of its territory, airspace or territorial waters to launch any attack on neighboring countries.”

Awadi said Iraqi security forces had taken “all necessary steps and measures to thwart and uncover any attempt in this context,” adding that there would be “no leniency toward anyone who tries to violate the sovereignty of the Iraqi state or damage relations with the Kingdom, neighboring countries or brotherly states.”

Observers are now raising questions over how Zaidi will deal with pro-Iran armed factions and confront their activities at home and abroad, particularly under continued US pressure.

In recent months, after the outbreak of the US-Israeli war against Iran, factions launched hundreds of attacks on targets inside Iraq, most of them in the northern Kurdistan region.

They also carried out attacks on more than one country in Iraq’s regional neighborhood. Those attacks stopped during the ceasefire, before resuming with three drones over Saudi territory.

Many believe the factions’ latest attacks pose a serious challenge to Zaidi’s authority. The prime minister, whose government was approved by parliament last week, has received clear US, domestic and Arab backing, a development that was not welcomed by the factions, which are seeking to embarrass him at the start of his tenure in Iraq’s top executive post.


Bahrain Suspends Entry of Foreign Travelers Arriving from Three Countries Amid Ebola Fears

A view of Bahrain's capital Manama. (Getty Images file)
A view of Bahrain's capital Manama. (Getty Images file)
TT

Bahrain Suspends Entry of Foreign Travelers Arriving from Three Countries Amid Ebola Fears

A view of Bahrain's capital Manama. (Getty Images file)
A view of Bahrain's capital Manama. (Getty Images file)

Bahrain said on Tuesday it was suspending the entry of foreign travelers arriving from South Sudan, ‌the Democratic ‌Republic of ‌Congo ⁠and Uganda due ⁠to the Ebola virus outbreak.

The suspension will be effective for ⁠30 days ‌starting Tuesday, ‌according to ‌the country's ‌state news agency.

The World Health Organization expressed deep ‌concern on Tuesday at the speed ⁠and ⁠scale of the Ebola outbreak, as the number of cases rises.


UAE Says Drones Targeting Nuclear Plant Came from Iraq

The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)
The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)
TT

UAE Says Drones Targeting Nuclear Plant Came from Iraq

The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)
The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)

The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday said drones that targeted its nuclear plant last week came from Iraq, from where Iranian-backed groups have launched several attacks since the Middle East war began.

On Sunday, an unclaimed drone struck an electrical generator near the Arab world's only nuclear power plant in Barakah in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, triggering a fire but causing no injuries or radiation leak. Two other drones had been intercepted.

"As part of the ongoing investigation into the blatant attack on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on May 17, 2026, technical tracking and monitoring confirmed that the three drones... all originated from Iraqi territory," the Emirati defense ministry said.

Authorities intercepted six drones that also came from Iraq and "attempted to target civilian and vital areas" in the past 48 hours, the ministry added.

Iraqi authorities had already condemned the attack on Barakah before Abu Dhabi announced where the drones came from.

Iran has attacked the UAE and other Gulf nations since the US and Israel launched strikes on the country on February 28, targeting US assets but also energy and civilian infrastructure.

Iran-backed groups in Iraq have not claimed any strikes since the truce came into place, though Gulf countries have reported attacks from Iraq.

On Sunday, Saudi Arabia had reported intercepting drones that came from Iraq, while Baghdad said its defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward the Kingdom.