Morocco's King Dismisses 4 Ministers over Delaying Hoceima Projects

 King Mohammed VI receives in Rabat Tuesday the first president of the Court of Auditors, Driss Jettou who presented a report containing the conclusions of the Court regarding the Al Hoceima projects “Manarat Almotawassit” /Moroccoworldnews
King Mohammed VI receives in Rabat Tuesday the first president of the Court of Auditors, Driss Jettou who presented a report containing the conclusions of the Court regarding the Al Hoceima projects “Manarat Almotawassit” /Moroccoworldnews
TT

Morocco's King Dismisses 4 Ministers over Delaying Hoceima Projects

 King Mohammed VI receives in Rabat Tuesday the first president of the Court of Auditors, Driss Jettou who presented a report containing the conclusions of the Court regarding the Al Hoceima projects “Manarat Almotawassit” /Moroccoworldnews
King Mohammed VI receives in Rabat Tuesday the first president of the Court of Auditors, Driss Jettou who presented a report containing the conclusions of the Court regarding the Al Hoceima projects “Manarat Almotawassit” /Moroccoworldnews

Morocco’s King Mohammed VI dismissed on Tuesday four ministers and a top official from their duties over delaying projects of the Hoceima Lighthouse of the Mediterranean or “Manarat Al Mutawassit.”

A royal statement said on Tuesday that the Moroccan king decided to dismiss four ministers including Mohamed Hassad, Minister of National Education, former Minister of the Interior in the government of former head of government Abdelilah Benkirane, El Houssaine El Ouardi, Minister of Health under the governments of Saad Eddine El Othmani and Abdelilah Benkirane, Mohamed Nabil Benabdellah, Minister of Housing under Saâd Eddine El Othmani and Abdelilah Benkirane, and Larbi Benckheikh, Secretary of State in charge of vocational training, who previously held the position of Director General of the Office of Vocational Training and Job Promotion (OFPPT).

Also, the King dismissed Ali Fassi Fihri, director general of the National Office of Water and Electricity.

King Mohammed also reprimanded five former ministers incriminated by the report, and said he was “disappointed in their performance at their respective ministries and he would never again entrust them with any public missions.”

The officials were dismissed after a Court of Auditors presented to the King its report pointing out to the numerous delays and negligence of the dismissed ministers and officials.

“At the level of implementation of the projects, there has been a significant delay in the launching of projects, while the majority of them have not been launched at all, in the absence of concrete initiatives by some of the actors involved in their actual launch,” said the communiqué of the Royal Cabinet.

The dismissals came in the framework of the “political earthquake” listed in the King’s speech delivered last October in Rabat before the members of Parliament’s two houses at the opening of the first session of the first legislative year of the tenth legislature.

“Managing the citizens’ affairs and serving their interests are both a national responsibility and a sacred trust, and in this regard, there is no room for negligence or procrastination,” he said.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.