Qaeda Rebuilt Itself with Iran's Help

Hamza bin Laden (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Hamza bin Laden (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Qaeda Rebuilt Itself with Iran's Help

Hamza bin Laden (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Hamza bin Laden (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Following a series of setbacks over the past few years, Al-Qaeda organization has rebuilt itself assisted by a remarkable pact with Iran, according to a report published by "The Atlantic" magazine in its recent edition.

The authors of the investigative reports interviewed several of Osama bin Laden's family members and Qaeda members and it concluded that a deal had been made with Iranians which allowed the organization to prepare for phase two.

The magazine pointed out that at the time ISIS is losing in Syria and Iraq, another terrorist group is calmly rebuilding itself.

The report was published few days after the CIA declassified a new set of documents from the 2011 raid that killed bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

The document revealed that despite apparent criticism, negotiations between Qaeda and the Revolutionary Guards in Tehran were ongoing and confirmed the relationship between the two. It detailed how Hamza, Osama bin Laden’s son, sheltered in Iran and got married there.

The Atlantic revealed that Qaeda and Iranian covert agents attempted to broker an agreement more than two decades back, after Saddam Hussein's regime rejected Qaeda’s request for military support.

The report indicated that the deal between Qaeda and Iran boomed under the George W. Bush administration, precisely between 2001 and 2003.

Former State Department and White House officials were in contact with Iran through backdoor channels, and the vice president’s office, Dick Cheney, stated that nothing should be done worrying that the administration would undermine the campaign to oust Saddam Hussein. In addition, the campaign to oust Saddam was founded on claims that he sponsored Qaeda and concealed weapons of mass destruction.

According to sources, the VP’s office also told US envoys to Iran and Afghanistan that once regime change had succeeded in Iraq, Iran was next.

Mahfouz Ibn El Waleed (Abu Hafes al-Mauritani), a Mauritanian Qaeda commander, went to Iran on December 19, 2001. A bus in Quetta, Pakistan, transported Abu Hafes to Taftan on Iranian border, claiming he was “Dr. Abdullah,” a “medic, treating refugees from the Afghan war,” carrying a suitcase filled with US dollars. The bus had on its windows a wanted poster for bin Laden.

Abu Hafes' relations with Iran dates back to 1995 when bin Laden sent to win military support for Qaeda, after Saddam rejected his request.

Al-Quds Force, of the Revolutionary Guards, was open to Qaeda's proposal, according to Abu Hafes.

In 1995, Qaeda fighters were invited to attend a camp run by Hezbollah and sponsored by the Iranian Quds force in Lebanon’s Beqaa Valley.

The magazine added that the trainers were researching how to manufacture explosives capable of penetrating armored vehicles.

In December 2001, the Mauritanian knocked on Iran's door once again and soon met with members of the Quds Force, who later organized a meeting with their commander General Qassem Soleimani, yet the magazine said that Iran was not yet fully committed to cooperating.

Quds Force planned to organize a secure plan for Qaeda leaders, and then the Mauritanian contacted Qaeda’s council in Baluchistan, Pakistan, who started to travelling to Iran. The first phase included Qaeda wives and daughters, along with hundreds of volunteers. The women were put in a hotel in Taleqani Street, Tehran. Husbands and unmarried fighters stayed in another hotel.

The Iranians then provided Qaeda members with false travel documents, saying they were Iraqi refugees. Some members traveled to other countries.

During the summer of 2002, top Qaeda leaders arrived in Iran including Saif al-Adel, accompanied by Mohammed al-Masri, and they were joined later by Abu Musab al-Suri.

The Mauritanian told The Atlantic that Qaeda soon reformed a military council in Iran and began planning for its first attack striking three residential compounds in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, killing more than 35 people (including nine US citizens) in 2003.

The magazine pointed out that Iranian officials made a pact with bin Laden’s family (one of the wives and many of the children) residing in Zabol, on Iranian borders. They were then transferred to a training annex in one of Shah's former castles in north Tehran.

Quds Force was under pressure from Qaeda to allow bin Laden’s family to leave Tehran in 2010. Hamza and his mother requested that the Quds force allow them to leave Iran to Qatar. Instead, Iranian officials offered to ensure their transfer to Pakistan. Eventually, bin Laden's wife arrived at Abbottabad in February 2011, a while before bin Laden was killed. Hamza hid in the Pakistani tribal areas on the Afghani-Pakistani border.



Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)

An ‌independent United Nations body on Tuesday condemned what it described as vicious attacks based on disinformation by several European ministers against the organization's special rapporteur for Palestine, Francesca Albanese.

In the past week several European countries, including Germany, France and Italy, called for Albanese’s resignation over her alleged criticism of Israel. Albanese, an Italian lawyer, denies making the remarks.

On Friday, the Czech Republic's Foreign Minister Petr Macinka quoted Albanese on X as having called Israel a "common enemy of humanity", and he ‌also called for ‌her resignation.

A transcript of Albanese's remarks ‌made ⁠in Doha on ⁠February 7 seen by Reuters did not characterize Israel in this way, although she has consistently criticized the country in the past over the Gaza conflict.

The UN Coordination Committee - a body of six independent experts which coordinates and facilitates the work of Special Rapporteurs - accused European ministers of relying on "manufactured ⁠facts".

"Instead of demanding Ms. Albanese's resignation ‌for performing her mandate...these government representatives ‌should join forces to hold accountable, including before the International Criminal Court, ‌leaders and officials accused of committing war crimes and ‌crimes against humanity in Gaza," the Committee said.

It said the pressure exerted on Albanese was part of an increasing trend of politically motivated and malicious attacks against independent human rights experts, UN officials ‌and judges of international courts.

US President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Albanese after she wrote ⁠letters ⁠to US companies accusing them of contributing to gross human rights violations by Israel in Gaza and the West Bank.

UN experts are commissioned by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council to monitor and document specific human rights crises but are independent of the organization itself.

There is no precedent for removing a special rapporteur during their term, although diplomats said that states on the 47-member council could in theory propose a motion to do so.

However, they said strong support for Palestinian rights within the body means that such a motion was unlikely to pass.


US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
TT

US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)

The United States plans to deploy more high-tech missile systems to the Philippines to help deter aggression in the South China Sea, where the treaty allies on Tuesday condemned what they called China’s "illegal, coercive, aggressive, and deceptive activities."

Beijing has repeatedly expressed alarm over the installation in the northern Philippines of a US mid-range missile system called the Typhon in 2024 and of an anti-ship missile launcher last year. It said the US weapons were aimed at containing China’s rise and warned that these were a threat to regional stability.

China has asked the Philippines to withdraw the missile launchers from its territory, but officials led by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. have rejected the demand.

US and Philippine officials held annual talks Monday in Manila on broadening security, political and economic engagements and boosting collaboration with regional security allies.

The US and the Philippines outlined in a joint statement Tuesday specific defense and security plans for this year, including joint military exercises, Washington's support to help modernize the Philippine military and efforts "to increase deployments of US cutting-edge missile and unmanned systems to the Philippines."

The longtime allies "underscored their support for preserving freedom of navigation and overflight, unimpeded lawful commerce and other lawful uses of the sea for all nations," the statement said.

"Both sides condemned China’s illegal, coercive, aggressive and deceptive activities in the South China Sea, recognizing their adverse effects on regional peace and stability and the economies of the Indo-Pacific and beyond," it added.

Confrontations between Chinese and Philippine coast guard forces have spiked in the disputed waters in recent years. Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan are also involved in the territorial standoffs.

Neither side elaborated on the planned missile deployments but Philippine ambassador to Washington, Jose Manuel Romualdez, who took part in Monday’s talks, said US and Filipino defense officials discussed the possible deployment this year of "upgraded" types of US missile launchers that the Philippines may eventually decide to purchase.

"It’s a kind of system that’s really very sophisticated and will be deployed here in the hope that, down the road, we will be able to get our own," Romualdez told The Associated Press.

The Typhon missile system that the US Army deployed to the main northern Philippine region of Luzon in April 2024 and an anti-missile launcher called the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System that was deployed in April last year also to Luzon have remained in the Philippines, Romualdez said.

During joint drills, US forces have exhibited the missile systems to batches of Filipino forces to familiarize them with the weapons’ capabilities and usage, military officials said.

Romualdez said the US missile deployments to the Philippines did not aim to antagonize any country.

"It’s purely for deterrence," he said. "Every time the Chinese show any kind of aggression, it only strengthens our resolve to have these types."

The Typhon missile launchers, a land-based weapon, can fire the Standard Missile-6 and the Tomahawk Land Attack Missile. Tomahawk missiles can travel over 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers), which places China within their target range, from the northern Philippine region of Luzon.

Last year, the US Marines deployed the anti-ship missile launcher, the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System, to Batan island in the northernmost Philippine province of Batanes, which faces the Bashi Channel just south of Taiwan.

The sea passage is a critical trade and military route that the US and Chinese militaries have tried to gain strategic control of.


France's Macron Eyes Fighter Jet Deal in India

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)
TT

France's Macron Eyes Fighter Jet Deal in India

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C-R) and his wife Brigitte Macron (C) are welcomed by India's officials upon their arrival in Mumbai on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Ludovic MARIN / AFP)

French President Emmanuel Macron will meet Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Mumbai on Tuesday, as he begins a three-day visit to India focused on artificial intelligence cooperation and a potential multibillion dollar fighter jet deal.

France is seeking to expand its military partnership with New Delhi, with discussions expected on a possible contract for 114 additional French Dassault Rafale fighter jets, said AFP.

Modi, in a statement on social media addressed to his "dear friend" Macron, after he began his trip with his wife Brigitte in India's financial capital, said he looked forward to "advancing our bilateral ties to new heights".

Modi, who will meet Macron later on Tuesday afternoon, said he was "confident that our discussions will further strengthen cooperation".

Macron, on his fourth visit to India since taking office in 2017, began on Tuesday with a program including honoring the victims of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, and meeting Bollywood film stars, including Shabana Azmi and Manoj Bajpayee.

He also called Modi his "dear friend", in post on X, saying they will "go even further" in cooperation.

The visit follows New Delhi's confirmation last week that it intends to place a major order for Rafale jets, as well as the signing of a landmark free trade agreement between India and the European Union in January.

Macron will travel to New Delhi for an artificial intelligence summit on Wednesday and Thursday.

- 'Contract of the century' -

New Delhi has sought over the past decade to reduce its dependence on Russia, its traditional main supplier of military equipment, turning to other countries while also pushing for more domestic production.

An Indian defense ministry statement last week said the proposed purchase of Rafale jets had been cleared -- with "the majority" of them to be manufactured in India.

Christophe Jaffrelot, an India specialist at Sciences Po Center for International Studies in Paris, described the potential EUR30 billion ($35 billion) deal for 114 Rafales as the "contract of the century".

If finalized, the jets would add to the 62 Rafales that India has already purchased.

The French presidency has voiced optimism that what it calls a "historic" agreement could be reached.

- 'Good chemistry' -

Modi and Macron will also inaugurate on Tuesday, via videoconference, India's first helicopter final assembly line, a joint venture between India's Tata Group and Airbus.

The facility in Vemagal, in the southern state of Karnataka near the tech hub of Bengaluru, will manufacture the Airbus H125, the company's best-selling single-engine helicopter.

France has emerged as one of India's most important defense and economic partners in the last decade.

"Through this visit, we seek to further strengthen cooperation" with India, and to "diversify" France's economic and trade partnerships, Macron's office said.

India, the world's most populous country with 1.4 billion people, is on track to become the fourth-largest economy globally.

This week's talks are also expected to address global economic uncertainty triggered by tariff policies under US President Donald Trump, as well as China's influence in the region.

Bilateral trade between France and India, driven largely by defense and aerospace -- India's commercial fleet includes a substantial number of Airbus aircraft -- stands at around EUR15 billion ($18 billion) annually.

French foreign direct investment in India totals nearly EUR13 billion ($15 billion).

The two leaders will also be keen to nurture close personal ties.

"There is apparently a good chemistry, a good personal rapport," Jaffrelot said.

One sensitive issue remains Ukraine: India has not condemned Russia's 2022 invasion and has continued buying oil from Moscow.

US President Donald Trump has said India had committed to halting the purchases, though that has not been formally confirmed by New Delhi.

"If the Indians stop buying Russian oil, they won't be blamed for abstaining at the UN," Jaffrelot added.