Libya’s Neighbors Reiterate Rejection of Military Solution, Warn against Return of Foreign Fighters

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry (R) sits with his Algerian counterpart Abdelkader Messahel at Tahrir Palace in Cairo. AFP
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry (R) sits with his Algerian counterpart Abdelkader Messahel at Tahrir Palace in Cairo. AFP
TT

Libya’s Neighbors Reiterate Rejection of Military Solution, Warn against Return of Foreign Fighters

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry (R) sits with his Algerian counterpart Abdelkader Messahel at Tahrir Palace in Cairo. AFP
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry (R) sits with his Algerian counterpart Abdelkader Messahel at Tahrir Palace in Cairo. AFP

Tunisia and Algerian foreign ministers reiterated their rejection of any military solution in Libya, stressing their support for the UN efforts to resolve the Libyan crisis and achieve stability in the chaotic country since 2011 and warning against the return of foreign fighters from conflict zones.

Egyptian FM Sameh Shoukry, Tunisian FM Abdelkader Messahel and Algerian FM Khemaies Jhinaoui met in Cairo on Wednesday and discussed the situation in Libya and means of pushing the political solution forward after discussions to amend Skhirat Agreement reached dead end.

The FMs of the three countries also issued “The Cairo Declaration" and praised the efforts put by UN Envoy to Libya Ghassan Salama.

They urged all the political parties to show sufficient flexibility during the ongoing negotiations to amend the political agreement, warning in the same context of the seriousness of the continued deterioration of the security situation in Libya and its consequences that will affect the daily lives of citizens.

The FMs stressed the importance of continuing and supporting security coordination and exchange of information as well as strengthening cooperation among them in their fight against terrorism.

They reiterated the positions of their countries and the principles that lead their joint action to support efforts to resolve the Libyan crisis, first and foremost to preserve the unity and stability of the country and to adhere to dialogue and political agreement as the only basis for resolving the crisis.

The tripartite meeting is considered the first of its kind since Salama launched his roadmap to resolve Libyan crisis in light of stalled meetings that were held in Tunisia.

In this regard, Skhoukry said he agreed with his Algerian and Tunisian counterparts to reject any military option in Libya, adding that they discussed the threat imposed by the terrorist organizations on the national security of the three countries.

Jhinaoui, for his part, said during the joint press conference that Libya has become a refuge for a number of terrorist organizations, pointing out the importance of finding a peaceful solution to end the crisis.

While Messahel said that the three countries agree when it comes to the Libyan crisis, "and we have exchanged views on how to help the Libyans reach a final solution to end the crisis.”

Addressing the return of foreign fighters, Messahel said that coordination should take place among regional countries to face the threat of their return from the conflict zones, noting that regional countries need Libya to be stable.

Notably, the three diplomats met previously twice over Libya following Tunisia’s announcement of a comprehensive political settlement in Libya on February 20. The first meeting was held in Algeria on June 5 and 6 while the other was held in September on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.