Israel to Extend Dimona Nuclear Reactor’s Life to 2040

General view of the Israeli nuclear facility in the Negev Dest outside Dimona seen in this August 6, 2000 file photo. PHOTO: REUTERS
General view of the Israeli nuclear facility in the Negev Dest outside Dimona seen in this August 6, 2000 file photo. PHOTO: REUTERS
TT

Israel to Extend Dimona Nuclear Reactor’s Life to 2040

General view of the Israeli nuclear facility in the Negev Dest outside Dimona seen in this August 6, 2000 file photo. PHOTO: REUTERS
General view of the Israeli nuclear facility in the Negev Dest outside Dimona seen in this August 6, 2000 file photo. PHOTO: REUTERS

Israeli Tourism Minister Yariv Levin revealed that his government has officially said it plans to extend the operating life of the nuclear reactor at Dimona through 2040, when the facility will be 80 years old, although it was designed to run only 40 years.

Levin – who is known for his close relationship with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu– said last week that the decision was made after thorough studies and strict examinations of the reactor ensure its safety.

The reactor was built with French assistance at the end of the 1950s and first began operating at the end of 1963. The facility was based on a model of reactors designed to produce electricity for 40 years. It’s also the oldest reactor of its type still active in the world.

Israel has never recognized Dimona as a military nuclear reactor, as it is described abroad. Over the past 20 years, many warnings have been issued that operations at the facility pose a threat to the population of the area, in Israel and Jordan. Yet, tourism minister Evin justified its presence, saying: “In the distant past, it was determined that licenses would be initially restricted to 40 years, due to a lack of experience in the long-term operation of such reactors. However, as experience accumulated and following a thorough examination, it was decided to extend operations on an individual basis.”

Levin – who also serves as the cabinet’s liaison with the Knesset – said that “there are now nuclear power stations around the world with licenses to operate for 60 years, and the intention is to extend this to 80 years,” citing examples in the United States.

Meanwhile, Former MK Uzi Even, a professor emeritus of physical chemistry at Tel Aviv University and one of the founders of the Dimona reactor, said that the work of the commission supervising the safety of the reactor’s operations lacked transparency. Extending the life of the reactor would require a large investment of resources and money, including replacing aging equipment, he said.

Even said Levin’s statement that Israel’s reactor produces much less power than comparable nuclear power plants around the world is true but the power density is high, similar to a nuclear power plant – and possibly even higher, because the Dimona reactor is smaller. “As a result, the cumulative radiation damage to the reactor is severe, like in power plants, or even more, so there is no basis to the claim that the reactor is safer from the radiation damage that appears in other power plants,” he said.

“The Dimona reactor is the oldest of its type in the world,” Even continued. “It has operated since 1963 – almost 55 years. Over 150 reactors of its age, or younger, have already been closed around the world because of safety fears or because of accidents in their operation. Does the minister know these facts?” Even asked.



Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.


Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.


Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
TT

Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)

British ‌Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to US President Donald Trump on Tuesday night about US-mediated Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Geneva, as well as talks between the US and Iran on ‌their nuclear ‌dispute, a Downing Street ‌spokesperson ⁠said.

Starmer also discussed ⁠Gaza with Trump and stressed on the importance of securing further access for humanitarian aid, the spokesperson said.

Negotiators ⁠from Ukraine and ‌Russia ‌concluded the first of two days ‌of the US-mediated ‌peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast ‌to reach a deal.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister ⁠Abbas ⁠Araqchi said Tehran and Washington reached an understanding on Tuesday on "guiding principles" aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that did not mean a deal is imminent.