Erdogan Vows to Clear Turkey-Syria Border of Kurds

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Reuters file photo
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Reuters file photo
TT

Erdogan Vows to Clear Turkey-Syria Border of Kurds

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Reuters file photo
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Reuters file photo

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed to clear what he called "terrorists" from the towns of Afrin, Manbij, Tal Abyad, Ras al-Ain and Qamishli in northern Syria.

Speaking during a Justice and Development Party (AKP) local meeting on Sunday in Karaman, south of Turkey, Erdogan stressed "the drama" in Raqqa proved without any doubt that ISIS and the People's Protection Units (YPG) are two sides of the same coin. He added that orders for one party to leave and the other to control the area where issued from the same side.

Media reports said that the Syrian Democratic Forces, backed by the international coalition, allowed ISIS militants besieged in Raqqa to withdraw under a similar agreement that occurred between “Hezbollah” and the terrorist organization on Lebanon-Syria border.

Erdogan warned that there are attempts to create enmity between the peoples of the region, even within the same city, stressing that ISIS, Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), and Democratic Union Party (PYD) in Turkey and Syria are part of that.

Erdogan also stated that the United States supplied PYD with more than 4,000 trucks loaded with arms and equipment, including heavy weapons.

In other news, local sources in Syria confirmed that Iran began using the land route between Tehran and the Mediterranean Sea through Iraq and Syria.

According to Anadolu Agency, a convoy composed of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), entered Syrian territory through the city of Albu Kamal and headed towards Deir Ezzor in eastern Syria.

With that, Tehran would have already began using the Tehran-Damascus line for military purposes and ensured its military presence in Syria.

In addition, Syrian regime forces and PMF controlled areas located on both sides of the border between the two countries.

Earlier in November, Syrian regime gained control of the city of Albu Kamal, ISIS’ last stronghold in Syria, while members of Iraqi PMF took over the other side of the border between Iraq and Syria.

A spokesman for the Revolutionary Commando Army, an opposition Syrian faction operating in eastern Syria, stated that the faction was ready to work with the United Nations to secure any aid convoy.

"Humanitarian aid is welcome to cross within the 55 km zone, an area protected by al-Tanf camp," tweeted the official.

In southern Syria, "Furat Post"correspondent reported that "al-Omari Brigades" arrested six militants in the western town of al-Milyha and al-Shiyaha town in al-Lujat area of Daraa western countryside. The leader of the group was also arrested after raiding their outposts. The militants will be handed over to the authorities for investigation.

The journalist also pointed out that the group admitted to coordinating with regime forces, in addition to “Hezbollah.” It also admitted to carrying out a number of assassinations in liberated areas, in addition to planting IEDs and targeting Free Army fighters and leaders, including Saqr al-Mashwar, commander of al-Omari Brigades, in bombing attacks.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.