Austria: Far Right Takes Power

New Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (L) of the People's Party (OeVP) and Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen smile after Kurz was sworn in at the presidential office in Vienna, Austria, December 18, 2017. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
New Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (L) of the People's Party (OeVP) and Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen smile after Kurz was sworn in at the presidential office in Vienna, Austria, December 18, 2017. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
TT

Austria: Far Right Takes Power

New Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (L) of the People's Party (OeVP) and Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen smile after Kurz was sworn in at the presidential office in Vienna, Austria, December 18, 2017. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
New Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (L) of the People's Party (OeVP) and Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen smile after Kurz was sworn in at the presidential office in Vienna, Austria, December 18, 2017. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger

The new Austrian government was sworn in yesterday while thousands gathered on the streets of Vienna protesting the far-right government, which didn't brother Austria's partners especially after it pledged to maintain a pro-European approach.

Sebastian Kurz, 31, became the country's new chancellor to become the world's youngest leader, months after leading Austrian People's Party (OVP) to victory in October's legislative elections.

President Alexander van der Bellen, a liberal environmentalist, formed the 13-member cabinet, six of whom belonged to the right-wing Austrian Freedom Party, to take over key ministries.

Van der Bellen asked the Kurz coalition to respect Austrian history, both its positive and negative pages, and "the rights of minorities, who think differently."

The president added that he was aware that some were "skeptical and even against" the new majority, as thousands of people demonstrated near the presidential palace to protest the participation of Freedom Party in the government.

The right-wing party, third in the elections, won three sovereign ministries: the Interior, Defense and Foreign Affairs, and Heinz Christian Strache, 48, was appointed as deputy chancellor.

Strache had previously described immigration as "mass invasion" and said Islam is not welcomed in Austria.

Strache's party has been involved in politics for several decades and is considered as one of the oldest far-right European parties.

The formation of this coalition led to a wave of protests and prompted Austria's partners to impose sanctions on the country.

Following the inauguration of the government, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad Raed al-Hussein considered the extreme right's accession "a dangerous development ... in the political life of Europe," warning of "manipulating the feelings of fear."

“I am very worried,” Hussein told AFP.

European Council President Donald Tusk sent Kurz a congratulatory letter that underlined EU concerns about the new coalition, to which Kurz tweeted back that his new government would be “clear pro-European and committed to making a positive contribution to the future development of the EU”.

“I trust that the Austrian government will continue to play a constructive and pro-European role in the European Union,” Tusk wrote.

Germany and France also indicated vigilance about Austria in their comments which highlighted Kurz’s pledges to foster European cooperation.

France congratulated the new chancellor and stated that he affirmed his attachment to European values and the European project, which his government’s program adopted.

France’s foreign ministry spokesperson said on Monday it wanted to engage in a dialogue based on European values and projects with Austria.

"It is in this spirit that we want to engage in a dialogue with his government," said the spokesperson.

Strache's Party was able to solidify its presence on the roadmap of the new government and tightened restrictions on the immigration policy, especially through curtailing social assistance to foreigners.

Sebastian Kurz adopted this right-wing policy in the wake of the wave of immigration during 2015 and 2016.

On Sunday, Strache said on Facebook that the new government would slash social benefits for asylum-seekers.

"It will no longer happen that migrants who have never worked here a single day or paid anything into the social system will get thousands of euros in welfare!" Strache posted.

Although the new majority emphasizes a "clear European commitment," it also set a goal of "delegating authority" to national authorities within EU and limiting the transfer of sovereignty to European bodies, which opposes French President Emmanuel Macron's vision who calls for a federal EU.

Despite its stance against Europe, the Freedom Party was forced to withdraw its request to leave the European Union. To reassure his European partners, Kurz will keep the foreign minister as Austria prepares to assume EU chair during the second half of 2018.

Kurz will head to Brussels on Tuesday to meet European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk, during his first visit outside Austria since he took power.



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.